Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You keep putting your words in Panarin's mouth. I don't think he has those issues. If anything he likes to be the leader of the offense and not have to play second-fiddle to anyone. I can believe that he wants to live somewhere else. I also wouldn't want to live in Columbus, so I get that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Dubois is better than Duchene from now on. Or if Wennberg is back at the 60 pt level. We had so many other guys well below career norms, I think it's not honest to put it as if slumping is the norm. It's no more honest than claiming the end of season spurt, when they led the league in goal scoring, is the norm.

I'm not putting any words in Panarins mouth. He came from a team where he had multiple allstars opening the ice up for him, playing on the power play with him, to a group where you have Bread, then a huge drop off . How is that any more speculative, then he doesnt like living in Columbus ? Does it have to be black or white ? Perhaps its both. Just saw in another thread that were picked 4th in the metro again, for this upcoming season. Many teams in our division went out , and got more scoring as well, as did Florida, Toronto. At best , were projected, a borderline playoff team. Is torts system, a system that you would want to play in, as a highly skilled offensive player, that can have his choice to play anywhere ? As you noted, a huge chunk of our forwards, had well below career norms, is it a system issue ? My thought is that it could be a combination of all these factors.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He's handling the situation much better than Carter. Carter had ZERO interest in being here and he played like it and forced his way out. We gave up a very good player for him (Jake).
He's playing hard, he's producing. The CBJ knew he could be a free agent after 2 years and that was always a risk.
For whatever reason he doesn't want to be here. He's not a family guy and I don't think he's that interest in golfing which are 2 of the biggest draws of Columbus.
As someone else mentioned maybe he wants to be recruited, maybe he wants to be a free agent and have 4-5 teams wooing him. Lot of American/Canadian kids get that in college. Maybe he has zero interest in signing with anyone hence the reason there is no list.
All I care about is he plays hard. If he does that then it's a team decision whether to trade him or keep him to make a run. As long as he doesn't get hurt I'm not certain that his value decreases between now and the deadline.
***Obviously his max value would be if he would get traded to a team he wanted to sign long term with (sign and trade) but I wonder if he doesn't want to test free agency?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not putting any words in Panarins mouth. He came from a team where he had multiple allstars opening the ice up for him, playing on the power play with him, to a group where you have Bread, then a huge drop off . How is that any more speculative, then he doesnt like living in Columbus ? Does it have to be black or white ? Perhaps its both. Just saw in another thread that were picked 4th in the metro again, for this upcoming season. Many teams in our division went out , and got more scoring as well, as did Florida, Toronto. At best , were projected, a borderline playoff team. Is torts system, a system that you would want to play in, as a highly skilled offensive player, that can have his choice to play anywhere ? As you noted, a huge chunk of our forwards, had well below career norms, is it a system issue ? My thought is that it could be a combination of all these factors.

You are putting words in his mouth. The message from Panarin/Milstein is that he isn't sure if he wants to live in Columbus long term, so of course it's not as speculative to believe them. It's really not some outlandish theory that he would want to live elsewhere. You've been on this jeremiad against Jackets forwards for a while now, and you're attributing that view to Panarin without any evidence.

As for projections, when you have a deep core of young players taking one more step towards their peak years, that outweighs the progress that comes from adding a UFA forward. The Jackets future is bright. Larry Fisher and "The Hockey Writers" track record speaks for itself. I agree far more with the views of the professional THN analysts and folks like Friedman who think the Jackets should place a high value on Panarin's potential contributions this year, because the Jackets have a decent chance at the cup. Not top tier contenders mind you, but still worth trying.

And for the record, you keep overselling Chicago, which hasn't been that good in years. They have been worse than the Jackets two years running. They score a lot less goals. They won the same number of playoff games in Panarin's tenure there as the Jackets did in the last two years. Jonathan Toews isn't an all star quality player anymore. It's just Patrick Kane. And Panarin hated being placed in Kane's shadow. He's a much better player when he's allowed to carry the puck and not just be Patrick Kane's triggerman. He thinks he's a far better player than that, and he is. How do we know that about Panarin's views? Because he and his reps spoke at length about how much he didn't like the way he was typecast as Kane's shooter.

Now for some speculation: the Panarin-Kane combo only worked because Panarin was fresh in this league and didn't feel like he could demand running things his way. If he ever goes back to Chicago he'll need his own line because it's a terrible waste to have an all-world puck carrier like Panarin rarely keep the puck for more than two seconds. What we saw in Columbus was a better player than was in Chicago, because he was allowed to use all of his gifts.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I'm of the mind that the "I want to live in a different city" narrative could easily be PR cover for other issues Panarin has.

As you said, is the Torts system(or Torts) something that Panarin thinks is (not) conducive to winning? Is he upset at the losses of Cole and/or Vanek? Is he skeptical that Riley Nash and Duclair are enough to push the team northward in the standings and to more playoff competitiveness? Does he look at a non buyout of Dubinsky as an indicator that managment/ownership isn't completely committed to winning? Is Bob's future contractual status more important to him more than he's letting on?

I think these things probably matter more than "is Rush Street or 5th Avenue or South Beach more happening than High Street?" He doesn't have to make his off season place in Columbus and there's plenty of in-season travel time which lets him spend time in other cities.

Call me a huge skeptic of his stated reason for not signing an extension with the CBJ. I think it has a lot more to do with the bricks than the sun and big city lights.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
As you said, is the Torts system(or Torts) something that Panarin thinks is (not) conducive to winning? Is he upset at the losses of Cole and/or Vanek? Is he skeptical that Riley Nash and Duclair are enough to push the team northward in the standings and more playoff competitive? Does he look at a non buyout of Dubinsky as an indicator that managment/ownership isn't completely committed to winning?

Those may be issues for him, but if they are, they are bad ones.

He had his best season with Tortorella. Every team loses players like Cole and Vanek. Plus, they were both players we traded for during the season. One, we could probably do that again if we needed too. Two, that shows we want to win. As for management/ownership, they have shown they are committed to winning. Those, IMO, are not good/smart reasons to want to leave.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Those may be issues for him, but if they are, they are bad ones.

He had his best season with Tortorella. Every team loses players like Cole and Vanek. Plus, they were both players we traded for during the season. One, we could probably do that again if we needed too. Two, that shows we want to win. As for management/ownership, they have shown they are committed to winning. Those, IMO, are not good/smart reasons to want to leave.

I somewhat share Cyclone's scenario. In all reality living in a different city is somewhat bogus in that you play half the season traveling and when you are home you practice,play and pack for the next trip. Off season players go on exotic vacations (or to cabins in Canada). The only obvious reason to live in a big city is his girlfriend's desire to do so.

Cole & Vanek being re-signed would indicate a bigger commitment to winning, imo,than waiting for the rebounds of all who had off seasons and the young guys all to get better . I don't see where mgt is committed to winning now.

I do think there are some underlying issues going on.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I somewhat share Cyclone's scenario. In all reality living in a different city is somewhat bogus in that you play half the season traveling and when you are home you practice,play and pack for the next trip. Off season players go on exotic vacations (or to cabins in Canada). The only obvious reason to live in a big city is his girlfriend's desire to do so.

Cole & Vanek being re-signed would indicate a bigger commitment to winning, imo,than waiting for the rebounds of all who had off seasons and the young guys all to get better . I don't see where mgt is committed to winning now.

I do think there are some underlying issues going on.

That is fine. I don't know why he doesn't want to stay (if he really doesn't want to stay). I just know what I think. Those aren't good reasons to want to leave.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I like it

But Dallas won't
Let's entertain Panarin-for-Seguin maybe working and play it out. It would also raise an interesting idea. Many of us complain about Wennberg's lack of shooting and struggles on faceoffs...would it matter if he moved to the LW with Seguin and Atkinson?

Wennberg-Seguin-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Nash-Anderson
Duclair/Milano/Davidsson/Hannikainen/Robinson/Dubinsky/Sedlak in some combination.

That would literally be just about the best case scenario, if both teams can suss out why the traded players aren't resigning and if they would resign with their new team.

Reactions: cslebn

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Let's entertain Panarin-for-Seguin maybe working and play it out. It would also raise an interesting idea. Many of us complain about Wennberg's lack of shooting and struggles on faceoffs...would it matter if he moved to the LW with Seguin and Atkinson?

Wennberg-Seguin-Atkinson
Jenner-Nash-Anderson
Duclair/Milano/Davidsson/Hannikainen/Robinson/Dubinsky/Sedlak in some combination.

That would literally be just about the best case scenario, if both teams can suss out why the traded players aren't resigning and if they would resign with their new team.
Rather keep him at center and roll 4 extremely solid lines.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Wennberg-Seguin-Atkinson
Jenner-Nash-Anderson

I'd rather keep him at center.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I rather see Wennberg's playmaking with two of our best scorers. Moving to LW worked for Huberdeau, and I think Wennberg would thrive on the wing (I don't think I'm the first who's suggested this off hand). I expect both Dubinsky and Sedlak to be healthy this year, and either one being a strong 4C. But that's not the point of the thread, so I digress.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I rather see Wennberg's playmaking with two of our best scorers. Moving to LW worked for Huberdeau, and I think Wennberg would thrive on the wing (I don't think I'm the first who's suggested this off hand). I expect both Dubinsky and Sedlak to be healthy this year, and either one being a strong 4C. But that's not the point of the thread, so I digress.

That may be. I just like the complete game he plays at C and I would much rather be stronger at C than LW/RW.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

What about Seguin at wing (and face offs)?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

We also will have an ink buddy for him next year. :D
Elvis%20Merzlikins_2.jpg

Reactions: The Bread Man

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
What about Seguin at wing (and face offs)?
Then we don't have a #1 center! ;)

Jokes aside, I don't know if Seguin has ever played LW. We all go on about how our weakest spot without Bread would be LW, and that we're good on the RW with Bjork/Cam/Anderson. That left side would be far from deep, even if Rick Nash changes his mind about retirement.

Foligno-Dubois-Seguin
Jenner-Wennberg-Atkinson
Nash/Duclair-Nash-Bjorkstrand
Milano/Ducliar-Dubinsky-Anderson

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In before we are reminded before every loss that our new goalie (whoever it is) hasn't won 2 Vezina trophies.

This team is bigger than 1-2 players.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Then we don't have a #1 center! ;)

Jokes aside, I don't know if Seguin has ever played LW. We all go on about how our weakest spot without Bread would be LW, and that we're good on the RW with Bjork/Cam/Anderson. That left side would be far from deep, even if Rick Nash changes his mind about retirement.

Foligno-Dubois-Seguin
Jenner-Wennberg-Atkinson
Nash/Duclair-Nash-Bjorkstrand
Milano/Ducliar-Dubinsky-Anderson

Using dobber sports, looks like he spent most of his time until 2015 at RW actually (not his first year in Dallas)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I hate Panarin already. The topics covered here and on the mains are the definition of ‘the worst.’ And they’re his fault. Dude can’t be gone soon enough for me.

In that case, want to trade him to me for your choice of the Waffle Hare's roster? :sarcasm::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad