Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If/when Panarin does leave, we'll have a good amount of cap space, and even more when Dubi is bought out/comes off the books. I expect Jarmo will be aggressive with that cap space, and we would almost certainly sign a top 6 forward in free agency next summer, IMO.

IMO - We don't need a top 6 forward we need an elite offensive forward (with or without panarin). We've need top line forwards since day 1 and honestly how many have we signed? Guys like that don't want to play here. They want to play on teams with other good forwards in systems where they can be successful.
Honestly in our history how many top line forwards have we had - Whitney, Nash, Carter, Bread are only guys I think you could say would have been top line on 75% of other teams (Voracek became that after he left but wasn't while here). Tons of guys like Silly, Cassels, Vybes who were good here but don't think they would have been top line guys on many other teams.
But my point is we get guys via trade (Whitney, Carter, Bread) or via the draft (Nash, Jake, RyJo, etc). Not sure if we can sign via free agency what we need.

**Yes the cap room would likely allow us to make trades for cap strapped teams but like Bread could be short term if they don't want to be here.

Reactions: The Bread Man

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
IMO - We don't need a top 6 forward we need an elite offensive forward (with or without panarin). We've need top line forwards since day 1 and honestly how many have we signed? Guys like that don't want to play here. They want to play on teams with other good forwards in systems where they can be successful.
Honestly in our history how many top line forwards have we had - Whitney, Nash, Carter, Bread are only guys I think you could say would have been top line on 75% of other teams (Voracek became that after he left but wasn't while here). Tons of guys like Silly, Cassels, Vybes who were good here but don't think they would have been top line guys on many other teams.
But my point is we get guys via trade (Whitney, Carter, Bread) or via the draft (Nash, Jake, RyJo, etc). Not sure if we can sign via free agency what we need.

**Yes the cap room would likely allow us to make trades for cap strapped teams but like Bread could be short term if they don't want to be here.
Bread is almost on his way out not because the team, organization, or coach though. Not because how we play but because his GF wants to be like the big city girls and have places to and party. Before players were hesitant because we didnt have a history of winning or decent players to play with here but with our young core now and the past 2 seasons. Cam, Anderson, and PLD can be all be goal scorers with speed. I see Tex qnd Fouty maybe being able to fall in that mold as well.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Should this make us appreciate Bob's agent even more?? :naughty:

(( :sarcasm: ))
No sarcasm needed actually, not a single agent of pending UFAs is talking like this bubblehead, not even EK agent with all that mess around him. Last year with Cam, i don't even know who is Cam agent.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I mean Mikey that “rumor” has been shot down multiple times by both the agent and management. It’s silly. And if you’ve been keeping up at all with this drama, you’d know better to entertain that idea.
The rumor that got shot down was that his desire to move was due to his GF's modeling career.

His GF could want to live somewhere nicer for the lifestyle and community and Milstein's statements would still be 100% true.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well the message is pretty clear now: he wants out, definitely. And I do think he is screwing the Jackets by refusing to provide a list of teams that he would find acceptable in a trade. That list would really be helpful to the Jackets to get max value out of the trade since the other team would know they were getting him long term. Now, I am rather pissed about Panarin allegedly being so "nice". This is really putting the screws to us.

And I think we should trade him as quickly as possible. A Panarin who publicly does not want to be here could really mess with the chemistry of the locker room if the other guys feel Panarin does not have their backs. Their has to be a bond of trust between the players and I ma very concerned it would not be there.

Heck, it could affect the fan base. For me, quite honestly I would have trouble cheering for him knowing that does not want to represent this city. The quicker the divorce, the better for all.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Artemi may want just become a UFA and be able to be in the position of power to negotiation and have all teams submitting their bids for his services.

That means this is a wasted season - and could be what his agent and Jarmo were explaining - how this season is going to go. He's going to get traded at some point and likely end up in a place he won't like either.

If a team in a less desirable location is willing to pay him a ridiculous sum of money, would he take the offer? Maybe. Perhaps he's not sure, he wants to weigh the options.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Sorry guys just wanted to re-iterate what the Wild could offer in a potential package of Zucker/Nino++ if its not crazy considering its kind of known he wants out which does bring down his value, considering we are a team also unsure if he would resign but thats our gamble (and i didnt want to be the one to argue "but he wants to leave" seems like you all accept that as of right now.)

Something along the lines of Zucker/Nino + Prospect + Cond. Pick based on him re-signing or not.

Only off limit prospects i could honestly say would probably be... Kaprizov, Sokolov, Khovanov, Greenway and maybe 1 of our dmen picks this year.

leaving a pick from
Kunin (probably on most fans off limit list but i dont believe it to be true)
Lodnia (standout at prospect camp & games)
Mcbain
F.Johansson/S.Johansson
Belpeido

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Right now Bread holds all the cards and to me all this "he wants to do the right thing" is total bs.

Why are those exclusive? He holds the cards, but that doesn't mean he can't want to do the right thing.

If he strings it out and the worst-case scenario happens from the Jackets' perspective then yes, it's bullshit for him to say he wants to do the right thing. Even though it is his right.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Sorry guys just wanted to re-iterate what the Wild could offer in a potential package of Zucker/Nino++ if its not crazy considering its kind of known he wants out which does bring down his value, considering we are a team also unsure if he would resign but thats our gamble (and i didnt want to be the one to argue "but he wants to leave" seems like you all accept that as of right now.)

Something along the lines of Zucker/Nino + Prospect + Cond. Pick based on him re-signing or not.

Only off limit prospects i could honestly say would probably be... Kaprizov, Sokolov, Khovanov, Greenway and maybe 1 of our dmen picks this year.

leaving a pick from
Kunin (probably on most fans off limit list but i dont believe it to be true)
Lodnia (standout at prospect camp & games)
Mcbain
F.Johansson/S.Johansson
Belpeido

None of those prospects are interesting, and both Nino and Zucker are major downgraded by themselves. If you want to come up with a serious offer, I think it needs to be both Zucker and Nino with no prospects/picks attached.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why are those exclusive? He holds the cards, but that doesn't mean he can't want to do the right thing.

If he strings it out and the worst-case scenario happens from the Jackets' perspective then yes, it's bull**** for him to say he wants to do the right thing. Even though it is his right.

At this point the only "right thing to do" is provide a list so Jarmo can try to maximize the return.

As the season progresses, barring him deciding to re-sign, the return only will go down.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I mean Mikey that “rumor” has been shot down multiple times by both the agent and management. It’s silly. And if you’ve been keeping up at all with this drama, you’d know better to entertain that idea.

The rumor that got shot down was that his desire to move was due to his GF's modeling career.

His GF could want to live somewhere nicer for the lifestyle and community and Milstein's statements would still be 100% true.
Thank you Crede what you pointed out is what I have been mentioning. I never mentioned her career ever in any of posts just that she apparently wanted to live on a coast by the beach for the shopping and big city life. And I also dont mean it in a way attacking her by any means its her and Artemis lives I want them happy I was just saying thats a reason Philly likely isnt a place he extends and similar with Edmonton like another fan asked. Its the same with us too likely. Theres a small chance he stays but it seems like they want a bigger city that might have some more russian culture then what is around here and it probably would make him feel more at home.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Artemi may want just become a UFA and be able to be in the position of power to negotiation and have all teams submitting their bids for his services.

That means this is a wasted season - and could be what his agent and Jarmo were explaining - how this season is going to go. He's going to get traded at some point and likely end up in a place he won't like either.

If a team in a less desirable location is willing to pay him a ridiculous sum of money, would he take the offer? Maybe. Perhaps he's not sure, he wants to weigh the options.
He's not sure where he wants to live. He's sure that wherever he goes he'll be able to get $10 million + per year. He has spent less than a year in Columbus and so isn't particularly attached to the city.

He also doesn't want to be traded in the middle of the season. He wants wherever he starts the season to be where he ends the season. Now, he can't actually control that. But what he can do is refuse to do a sign-and-trade after the season has started thus effectively killing his trade value once the season starts.

He hasn't ruled out Columbus. According to Foligno, he likes Columbus. Just he knows he has options and will explore them. And he wanted the CBJ to know that going into the season, that they aren't "out" but they're not a lock to be "in" either.

I actually think Panarin's ideal scenario would be to play out the season in Columbus because he likes the team and his teammates. He wants to put up a PPG and help the team get into the playoffs. He wants to be the star forward on a highly competitive Metro team. And then he wants to take all that cache into free agency. Maybe he stays, maybe he goes. I think *if* CBJ get a shot at negotiating with him, they'll have to overpay relative to LA or NY.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I actually think Panarin's ideal scenario would be to play out the season in Columbus because he likes the team and his teammates.

I suspect this is true and now he's getting hit with "if you don't sign a long term deal, you're going to get traded" which wasn't his intent.

Rather than having some sort of ulterior motive, he and his girlfriend may just want to shop around next summer and figure out where they want to live and the pros/cons of each city & team vs the contract being offered. But if Jarmo plays hardball and trades Panarin, then does that put Columbus out of the running? From Jarmo's viewpoint, he may lose him for nothing so he has to trade him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The more I think about this I think this is how it should play out:

Jarmo offers him an 8 year 10 mill per deal witha deadline to accept.

If he doesn't take it ask for a list of where he would re-sign again with a deadline

Failing the first two options trade his ass to Colorado for Ottowa's first round pick in next years draft.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I suspect Jarmo has a sense if the club has any chance of resigning Bread. If he feels he doesn’t, there’s little doubt in my mind he will trade him unless it’s a totally one sided deal. Unpopular maybe, but the trade may be picks - maybe a mid round first among any package. I’m sure Jarmo has to know our forward pipeline is weak.

Should this happen, the beneficiary may be Bob as our depleted offense could mean more 2-1/1-0/OT/SO games, scenarios where Bob excels. And while that’s not my preferred strategy, it may be the most effective way to play the hand dealt.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So here's a silly hypothetical that came to mind that y'all can either derisively dismiss or desperately cling to as desired...

Plenty of us here have been going on the presumption that since Panarin really wants to test free agency, that means he doesn't want to be here. That's mostly because the one generally leads to the other. But this is already an unusual situation given the way he's notified the team. So here's a hypothetical.

Let's say, when it came to coming to America, he looked at the major cities and kind of dismissed most of the rest, because he's not yet aware that the NHL = unlike the KHL - isn't Moscow, St. Pete, and Everyone Else. He plays there for a while and finds it interesting. Then he gets traded here, has a blast, and realizes just how much possibility he missed out on with all the other cities in the NHL. "If Columbus is this good... what else did I miss?"

In such a scenario, he'd be wanting to see what else is out there... but Columbus would still be on the list of possible cities. "I took a broader look this time, and decided to stay."

That would fit with all of the (admittedly very sparse) facts we presently have. Easily shaken with new data (because, again, facts are sparse), but so are all the other theories we're working with.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad