Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If I've learned anything from the mains about panarin and the jackets from all this it is the following:

He should be honored to sign as a New York Ranger
Nylander is a better player
He has no value since he's only signed for 1 more year
The jackets suck without him
Having the chance to sign for eight years instead of seven has no value (guess that's an NBA thing)
Players with less time in the NHL hit their peak and age at the and rate as guys who enter the league younger and/or play a physical game
The jackets suck with him
He wants some place warm but is going to ny or chi
The jackets should be lucky too get any return since (insert team) will just sign him ufa
Panarin isn't even elite

Uh I could keep going but I'm spent

:sarcasm:

Oh and now Chytil = PLD

I love this place

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
It's getting harder and harder to read this site during the summer. Lots of crazy running around and even more than the normal age >>> everything.

Next it will be panarin (signed) + rhd for kapanen

Reactions: mikeyp24

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Lots are UFA...every year, don't resign with current teams. What's the big fuss about Panarin, hardly unique.
Admitingly CBJ has to decide to they want to try to win Panarin this year or trade him which will likely be for futures.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Worked for Tampa

Tampa Bay = perennial contender every year, ECF or SCF 3/4 years, superstars all over the roster.

Islanders = perennial bubble team, out of the first round once, no other stars

Also, when Columbus grows an ocean, a beach, and 70+ degree temperatures year around let me know.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Tampa Bay = perennial contender every year, ECF or SCF 3/4 years, superstars all over the roster.

Islanders = perennial bubble team, out of the first round once, no other stars

Also, when Columbus grows an ocean, a beach, and 70+ degree temperatures year around let me know.
lumping every situation as being the same is about as silly as this post. Islanders have had nothing but off ice issues for years that Tavares had to deal with along with trying to carry mediocre at best teams.
Columbus is a team starting an upswing and im sure there are thing he likes about the organization but at the same time he wasnt drafted and developed here so there is a bit more of a sell job involved as he doesnt have that connection build up over many years with the city. I agree with Jarmos more patient approach, worst case if Panarin does indeed decide to move on some team that is more of a contender than they predicted will likely think a Panarin puts them over the top and makes some silly offer

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
It's getting harder and harder to read this site during the summer. Lots of crazy running around and even more than the normal age >>> everything.
Works fine for me. :)
b8f1025ce2b83502bac4a482522c7f65-full.jpg

Reactions: cslebn

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You say this after comparing the Islanders situation to the Tampa situation.
the original post quòted was about winning and trying to have some postseason success (which Tampa did) and that something the Isalnders never really pushed for, their management was always so passive and "patient".
If you want to move the posts to avoid real discussion then thats cool. Point is I think bringing him back to start the season is a good thing, get him around the team more to build some relationships and hopefully get off to a good start to show him the team is moving the right direction and its worth sticking around for. May not change his mind but I dont think waiting to trade him lessens his value

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I have been thinking about it and I would rather just keep him and try to win in the postseason. No sense in trading our best player, maybe winning keeps him around.
I agree.
Let the season play out unless we get overwhelmed with an offer.
Closer to the deadline have FO take hard look at team and ask if this team can make a run - if so then go with it. If not then trade him.
I don't think his value will change much (exceptions being an injury or if he lets it known where he wants to play in future).

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I have been thinking about it and I would rather just keep him and try to win in the postseason. No sense in trading our best player, maybe winning keeps him around.
Absolutely not .... First of all, the guy has made it abundantly clear he doesn’t want to be here , so much so , he tells the jackets he doesn’t want to negotiate with them, but will not listen to offers , after September. Meaning basically , there is a month and a half period , where he will entertain a sign and trade. I don’t want this kid anywhere near our locker room, and he WAS my favorite player in the league .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I tend to agree with Bread Man. Keeping him is foolish for the following reasons:

He could get hurt

He could be a distraction at best; a negative influence at worst (nothing that Pollyannish Jackets fans will even acknowledge as possibilities)

If the Jackets are in contention for a playoff spot you just can't trade him then for 2 reasons:
1 - it will tell the team management doesn't really believe they have a chance to go far and,
2- all that teams will send back are prospects and picks, which will be low 1st rounders +.

He could and probably will walk for nothing at the end of the year.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I tend to agree with Bread Man. Keeping him is foolish for the following reasons:

He could get hurt

he could lead the league in scoring

He could be a distraction at best; a negative influence at worst (nothing that Pollyannish Jackets fans will even acknowledge as possibilities)

He could be a consummate pro, leading by example on the ice as his teammates embrace him in what they acknowledge could be his last year with them, all while hoping to (perhaps successfully) convince him to stay.

If the Jackets are in contention for a playoff spot you just can't trade him then for 2 reasons:
1 - it will tell the team management doesn't really believe they have a chance to go far and,
2- all that teams will send back are prospects and picks, which will be low 1st rounders +.

So you have to trade him now because you might not be able to trade him later?

He could and probably will walk for nothing at the end of the year.

Nothing. Except for what he provided the team throughout the season. But yeah, otherwise nothing.

I believe the team should trade him this summer if they get a fair offer, but should otherwise keep him and play out the season. I'm certainly not advocating keeping him above all other options. But the reasons listed here for trading him aren't better or more compelling (to me, obv) than the reasons for keeping him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
he could lead the league in scoring

I'll take the under here but yeah, he could.

He could be a consummate pro, leading by example on the ice as his teammates embrace him in what they acknowledge could be his last year with them, all while hoping to (perhaps successfully) convince him to stay.

Possibly although I think this one is your weakest argument.

So you have to trade him now because you might not be able to trade him later?

My reasoning here is you can probably get a better return now than at the TDL. He can always be traded at the TDL but for the reasons I stated the return will be less than if he can be traded for a good deal now.

Nothing. Except for what he provided the team throughout the season. But yeah, otherwise nothing.

So he provides the equivalent of the 17 game win streak, so what? If he walks after the season and the Jackets didn't win the Cup it will all be for naught.

I believe the team should trade him this summer if they get a fair offer, but should otherwise keep him and play out the season. I'm certainly not advocating keeping him above all other options. But the reasons listed here for trading him aren't better or more compelling (to me, obv) than the reasons for keeping him.

Expand for point by point responses.

Bottom line is I agree with trading him now for a fair offer. And I guess your reasons for keeping him are valid but...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'll take the under here but yeah, he could.

Am I allowed to take the under on him getting injured?

Possibly although I think this one is your weakest argument.

Meaning the one you disagree most with.

My reasoning here is you can probably get a better return now than at the TDL. He can always be traded at the TDL but for the reasons I stated the return will be less than if he can be traded for a good deal now.

But your whole argument is predicated on the only decision being to trade him. I mean, if that's the case, then yeah, trade him when you can get the most for him. But nothing like setting up a potentially false one-way scenario to support your position.

So he provides the equivalent of the 17 game win streak, so what? If he walks after the season and the Jackets didn't win the Cup it will all be for naught.

So winning the Cup is your threshhold for whether keeping him was worth it? I've seen different opinions on this question. What if they made the ECF? Failure? Waste of a season?

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So winning the Cup is your threshhold for whether keeping him was worth it? I've seen different opinions on this question. What if they made the ECF? Failure? Waste of a season?

Let's call a draw on the points or maybe we could become the board's version of James Kilpatrick & Shana Alexander.

As to the point left above, in my opinion I'd rather have something to build on going forward which in this scenario is whatever we would have received in trade rather than fond memories to stow away with the fantastic finish, the 17 game winning streak, being one goal away from a 3-0 series lead, etc. A Cup memory I'll take.

And for what it is worth, my preferred outcome in all of this is a signed 8 year deal with the Jackets. I am just not real optimistic that is going to happen.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I would be surprised if he was a cancer in the locker room.
If he doesn't want to be here now, he likely didn't want to be here last season. But he played his best. No reson in my mind to think he would do any differently now.
His goal is to sign a large deal. Would be a lot more interest to sign a guy coming off another monster season than a guy who pulls a Jeff Carter.
Jeff Carter got what he wanted - which was traded out of Columbus.
Bread wants a mega deal and he still needs to earn that (maybe not earn but another great year will help him and a subpar year may hurt him slightly).

Reactions: Cowumbus

major major

Feb 18, 2013
"He could be a consummate pro, leading by example on the ice as his teammates embrace him in what they acknowledge could be his last year with them, all while hoping to (perhaps successfully) convince him to stay."

I think this is the likely outcome if Panarin stays on the team without an extension. What's supposed to be far-fetched about it?

Reactions: Cowumbus

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Let's call a draw on the points or maybe we could become the board's version of James Kilpatrick & Shana Alexander.

OK.

As to the point left above, in my opinion I'd rather have something to build on going forward which in this scenario is whatever we would have received in trade rather than fond memories to stow away with the fantastic finish, the 17 game winning streak, being one goal away from a 3-0 series lead, etc. A Cup memory I'll take.

So, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->