Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Am I allowed to take the under on him getting injured?

Meaning the one you disagree most with.

But your whole argument is predicated on the only decision being to trade him. I mean, if that's the case, then yeah, trade him when you can get the most for him. But nothing like setting up a potentially false one-way scenario to support your position.

So winning the Cup is your threshhold for whether keeping him was wort it? I've seen different opinions on this question. What if they made the ECF? Failure? Waste of a season?

Having a team that can compete for the cup every year, is the goal. As it stands, and these are just projections, but Ive seen the cbj picked 4th in the metro. And lets be real, look at what Philly did to improve, look what Toronto did to improve, look at what Florida did to improve. The jackets will never be a legit cup contender , on a year to year basis, until they have some horses on offense that can get them there. Having the best regular season goalie in the game, probably the top, if not , one of the top core of defenseman 1-6, in the nhl, gets you projected as the 16th best team in the nhl (from a power rankings perspective ). Sure if everything breaks perfect, and our forwards all have career years, and Bob is not PLAYOFF Bob, we have a shot of possibly making some noise. But if I can get a Bogstrom from the Panthers, in a package deal, I make that deal all day long. As for the goalie position, Korpi gets a much larger workshare this year, because I need to know what we have in him, to plan for next year. Lets see what Legace can do with him.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Why everyone is ignoring the fact that he was paid 1/3 of his salary already for this season? I'm sure $2M is nothing for a lot of people here. But for JD who fights for every dollar, i don't think it's ok to pay Panarin $2M to play elsewhere. Unless offer is someone like Barkov coming back, he will play those ~27 games he was paid for.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
"He could be a consummate pro, leading by example on the ice as his teammates embrace him in what they acknowledge could be his last year with them, all while hoping to (perhaps successfully) convince him to stay."

I think this is the likely outcome if Panarin stays on the team without an extension. What's supposed to be far-fetched about it?

I don't know how each teammates individually would react to the situation. It's possible it would be complicated, knowing that here's a guy you're going "into battle" with who's already committed to not battling with you in future. But I'd like to think it's at least equally possible that here's a bunch of pros who will do their thing. There's nothing, IMO, far-fetched about it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why everyone is ignoring the fact that he was paid 1/3 of his salary already for this season? I'm sure $2M is nothing for a lot of people here. But for JD who fights for every dollar, i don't think it's ok to pay Panarin $2M to play elsewhere. Unless offer is someone like Barkov coming back, he will play those ~27 games he was paid for.

That $2 mill is a sunk cost. It won't be a deterrent to getting a deal done. If anything because he is only due $4 mill it will make him a bit more attractive although in reality I don't think it has anything to do with a possible trade.

That will be influenced by the return and any inside info the front office has on the possibility of him re-signing here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Having a team that can compete for the cup every year, is the goal. As it stands, and these are just projections, but Ive seen the cbj picked 4th in the metro. And lets be real, look at what Philly did to improve, look what Toronto did to improve, look at what Florida did to improve. The jackets will never be a legit cup contender , on a year to year basis, until they have some horses on offense that can get them there. Having the best regular season goalie in the game, probably the top, if not , one of the top core of defenseman 1-6, in the nhl, gets you projected as the 16th best team in the nhl (from a power rankings perspective ). Sure if everything breaks perfect, and our forwards all have career years, and Bob is not PLAYOFF Bob, we have a shot of possibly making some noise. But if I can get a Bogstrom from the Panthers, in a package deal, I make that deal all day long. As for the goalie position, Korpi gets a much larger workshare this year, because I need to know what we have in him, to plan for next year. Lets see what Legace can do with him.

Fair enough, but what if you can't?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Fair enough, but what if you can't?
There will always be teams that will think Panarin gives them a chance to win the cup, and there will be a bidding war. Your talking a top 10 player in the league, that you have a change to negotiate with, and lock up for 7 years, without bidding contract against other teams. Sure they could wait for next summer, and become 1 of 15 teams to bid, on him, Florida seems like a logical match for both teams. A player like Panarin, with Barkov, and they become instant challenger to Toronto. Plus to move a Bogstrom, wouldnt cripple their roster.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
There will always be teams that will think Panarin gives them a chance to win the cup, and there will be a bidding war. Your talking a top 10 player in the league, that you have a change to negotiate with, and lock up for 7 years, without bidding contract against other teams. Sure they could wait for next summer, and become 1 of 15 teams to bid, on him, Florida seems like a logical match for both teams. A player like Panarin, with Barkov, and they become instant challenger to Toronto. Plus to move a Bogstrom, wouldnt cripple their roster.
I'm not commenting to address the arguments you're making, but rather to ask a question.

Let's say the above case played out. Which of Wennberg, Dubois, and Borgstrom do you have playing LW? None of them should be playing 4C (though Milano-Borgstrom-Duclair is fascinating to imagine, despite press boxing a healthy, motivated Dubinsky being stupid until proven otherwise), nor should we waste Riley Nash as our 4C.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Shouldn't there already be one?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm not commenting to address the arguments you're making, but rather to ask a question.

Let's say the above case played out. Which of Wennberg, Dubois, and Borgstrom do you have playing LW? None of them should be playing 4C (though Milano-Borgstrom-Duclair is fascinating to imagine, despite press boxing a healthy, motivated Dubinsky being stupid until proven otherwise), nor should we waste Riley Nash as our 4C.
Sounds like a good problem to have, right ? Bogstrom played RW, and can do it very well (pretty sure he played this in college). Or we could flip Wennberg to upgrade the wing position. Having too many centers isnt a bad problem to have.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
the original post quòted was about winning and trying to have some postseason success (which Tampa did) and that something the Isalnders never really pushed for, their management was always so passive and "patient".
If you want to move the posts to avoid real discussion then thats cool. Point is I think bringing him back to start the season is a good thing, get him around the team more to build some relationships and hopefully get off to a good start to show him the team is moving the right direction and its worth sticking around for. May not change his mind but I dont think waiting to trade him lessens his value

Lol, I'm not moving the posts just because I pointed out a hole in your logic.

I would also bring him in to start the season. Maybe being around the guys would do him good. However, he is definitely going to be a distraction. He hardly talks to the media himself, thus the players will be answering for him a lot of times. It's going to be awkward. I don't think it will be team-killing awkward, but if the season starts off rough people are going to blame him. But yeah, I agree bringing him back to start the season is probably for the best and also the most likely scenario.

However, he must be traded before the deadline if there is no extension to be signed. No ifs ands or buts. If we're 1st in the NHL (which I don't expect to happen), I still trade him.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If we trade Panarin I do not think we should be trading for 1st rounders and prospects. We are done building for the future, let’s get players who are NHL players today rather than ones who one day might be.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Im beginning to think our best bet honestly is going to be wait it out. There's gonna be a team out there who midway through the season that realizes they might be a player or two away and Panarin might be the difference maker.

Jarmo knows that a team might get desperate and give him the offer he wants if he's patient enough. This is where our pro scouts earn their money. Maybe they find a young 2nd or 3rd liner on another team whose ready for a breakout given the opportunity similar to Karlsson or if we're extremely lucky someone like Jones(situation wise not position, play, etc)

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Expand for point by point responses.

Bottom line is I agree with trading him now for a fair offer. And I guess your reasons for keeping him are valid but...
I don't believe that it's "if we don't win the Cup it will be all for naught". We have young players who can learn a lot from another season with an elite player. Haven't you ever worked with someone who has made you better at what you do? I feel like this sentiment gets lost on people. If we keep him, have another great regular season, win a round, and Panarin leaves, we still have Cam, PLD, Bjork, Wennberg, Milano, and possibly Abramov as skilled players who will have gained valuable experience by playing with a top-tier player and having another year of progress as an organization.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If I remember correctly it was Chytil >Panarin because of age and the fact that he's cost controlled longer
Enh. From the perspective of the Rangers (a team that's entering a rebuild), that's a valid evaluation. Trade values aren't absolutes; players aren't fungible.

Not that I'd go for it, tho. **** no. Just that it makes similar amounts of nonsense from both sides.

* * *​
I would also bring him in to start the season. Maybe being around the guys would do him good. However, he is definitely going to be a distraction. He hardly talks to the media himself, thus the players will be answering for him a lot of times. It's going to be awkward.
I suspect that Coach Tortorella might be inclined to do something about that particular possibility.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
However, he must be traded before the deadline if there is no extension to be signed. No ifs ands or buts. If we're 1st in the NHL (which I don't expect to happen), I still trade him.

I realize you are speaking in hypotheticals, but no, they shouldn't trade him if they are first in they league. Maximizing assets is a prudent strategy and I don't want a GM who burns down the future all for the present. But at some point you have to take your shot when it is available or you are never going to sniff a championship. If the Jackets are a top team in the league at the deadline, they should not only keep him but be a buyer and go for it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I realize you are speaking in hypotheticals, but no, they shouldn't trade him if they are first in they league. Maximizing assets is a prudent strategy and I don't want a GM who burns down the future all for the present. But at some point you have to take your shot when it is available or you are never going to sniff a championship. If the Jackets are a top team in the league at the deadline, they should not only keep him but be a buyer and go for it.

Maybe I went a tad far. If we're 1st in the league it would be a really hard choice, but I would at least consider keeping him.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Unicorns and Abominable snowmen. What do they have in common? They are not usually a good idea to use them as building blocks for your team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If we trade Panarin I do not think we should be trading for 1st rounders and prospects. We are done building for the future, let’s get players who are NHL players today rather than ones who one day might be.
problem is you may need a 3rd team to get what you want.
Likely destinations for Panarin would be teams that are ready to win next season. They won't want to give up NHL ready places with years remaining on a contract for a potential rental (they would obviously hope to sign him but no guarantees). So likely what they would give up is picks and prospects and in many cases another expiring contract to make the dollars work.
So would likely need a 3rd team who was willing to take on picks and prospects and/or another trade altogether. Another trade altogether is where you may get max value to a team up against the cap (like how we acquired Bread in 1st place).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
problem is you may need a 3rd team to get what you want.
Likely destinations for Panarin would be teams that are ready to win next season. They won't want to give up NHL ready places with years remaining on a contract for a potential rental (they would obviously hope to sign him but no guarantees). So likely what they would give up is picks and prospects and in many cases another expiring contract to make the dollars work.
So would likely need a 3rd team who was willing to take on picks and prospects and/or another trade altogether. Another trade altogether is where you may get max value to a team up against the cap (like how we acquired Bread in 1st place).

Finding that 3rd team seems possible. Perhaps Mark Stone won't sign long term in Ottawa and we can flip the futures packages in a sign-and-trade for Stone. There might be other squads realizing mid-season that they need to embrace a rebuild, like the Rangers did during last year. Everyone is hopeful now.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can't take it any longer. We're only 4 posts (soon to be 3) short of hitting the magic 1000, For God's sake people lets not let it die now! I still think Florida is our best trading partner. I'll take Huberdau & something.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I can't take it any longer. We're only 4 posts (soon to be 3) short of hitting the magic 1000, For God's sake people lets not let it die now! I still think Florida is our best trading partner. I'll take Huberdau & something.
I still say he re-signs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->