Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
A package around Huberdeau or Borgstrom, and lets get on with this season
The truth is, getting a NHL ready prospect who is predicted to be a high end #2 is a great way to mask the sting of losing an elite player. You would get to watch him immediately and see the return instead of waiting a year or two while the player matures in the CHL praying that he doesn't bust.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
But for all that Panarin stands to provide the Florida Panthers, it's still chilling to think how much the Blue Jackets could take away. Trading for Panarin would likely cost the Panthers a prospect, a top-six forward, and a 1st round pick. As uncomfortable as it would be to part with Borgström, Huberdeau, or Bjugstad, it would be unconscionable to lose Barkov or Trocheck as well. Dale Tallon doubtlessly is worried that nabbing one of the league's sexiest forwards would simultaenously deprive the Panthers of their forward depth--one of the team's strengths. A trade that includes either Barkov or Trocheck is likely a non-starter for Tallon and the Panthers. And that might explain why Panarin still is on the Blue Jackets' roster.

Panarin Wants Out Of Columbus And The Florida Panthers Should Want Panarin. | Florida Panther Hockey Website | Panther Parkway

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
But for all that Panarin stands to provide the Florida Panthers, it's still chilling to think how much the Blue Jackets could take away. Trading for Panarin would likely cost the Panthers a prospect, a top-six forward, and a 1st round pick. As uncomfortable as it would be to part with Borgström, Huberdeau, or Bjugstad, it would be unconscionable to lose Barkov or Trocheck as well. Dale Tallon doubtlessly is worried that nabbing one of the league's sexiest forwards would simultaenously deprive the Panthers of their forward depth--one of the team's strengths. A trade that includes either Barkov or Trocheck is likely a non-starter for Tallon and the Panthers. And that might explain why Panarin still is on the Blue Jackets' roster.

Panarin Wants Out Of Columbus And The Florida Panthers Should Want Panarin. | Florida Panther Hockey Website | Panther Parkway
this came from the blog I write for. This is just opinion. No inside info being revealed, though I would guess that it is pretty in-line with the org's thinking.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
By trotting out the likes of Foligno, Dubinsky, and Johnson are you saying you disagree with my point that there is evidence of players wanting out of Columbus?

Damn do people just want to ‘win’ so badly or what? I’m merely pointing out that there is evidence to the contrary. That players might indeed choose to stay in a place where a different player had bailed.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I disagree. It signals that you knew he was leaving so you did what was best for the organization long term because you realize making an all in decision like keeping panarin in the hopes of winning 1 playoff round is fools gold.

So we have two people here with two different takes on what says an organization is committed to winning. It would be the height of arrogance for one to assume all NHL players are of a like mind, and that they’d all agree with you.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Milstein did not deem Sept. 13 a firm deadline, noting, “I’m not saying he won’t negotiate (after).” Asked if there was a chance Panarin would be willing to start negotiating with the Jackets between now and then, Milstein declined to comment.

Blue Jackets | Agent says Artemi Panarin doesn't want contract talks affecting next season

Holy indecisiveness. Just get this guy out of here.

Also:

“He wanted to be up front and truthful with the team and let them know that he wasn’t ready to discuss a long-term commitment,” Milstein said. Panarin, he added, “does not want to cause the issues that some other teams might have experienced in the past couple of years with free agency stuff. He wanted to do a good, kind thing, and unfortunately, it’s gotten blown out of proportion a little bit.”

Kekalainen has declined to comment on what he described as “a private meeting” Monday but said at the NHL draft last month that the Jackets would listen to other teams’ trade offers for Panarin. In return for Panarin, he said, the Jackets would want players who can make an immediate return as opposed to draft picks or prospects.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
No hard feelings towards Panarin, but I do feel like Milstein has ****ed up this situation for all parties.

I truly still believe the intentions were good. It was a means to help the Jackets by letting them know he wasn't staying and they should prepare for that, whatever way they choose. However, he continues to talk about it. He continues to publicly change the story or make reasons why he's not staying. He should have just left it at that, his initial statement saying he's not ready to negotiate. And then go quiet like our management have.

It's clear he wants out/he's not staying and his agent is trying to push the envelop to get it done as quickly as possible. While I get it from Panarin's perspective, it is very annoying as a CBJ fan. As I said before, rip off the band aid and get this dude out of here.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
More like "holy over-scrutiny" if you ask me...

How? He said in a Russian interview, then confirmed to the Athletic, that after September 13th he will only focus on hockey and not negotiate, regardless of what team he's on.

Then he does another interview and says the exact opposite, that he could possibly negotiate during the season, just not with Columbus.

Which is it, Panarin?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
How? He said in a Russian interview, then confirmed to the Athletic, that after September 13th he will only focus on hockey and not negotiate, regardless of what team he's on.

Then he does another interview and says the exact opposite, that he could possibly negotiate during the season, just not with Columbus.

Which is it, Panarin?
I don’t think it’s hard to read between the lines . He doesn’t want to play another season here . He wants a sign and trade . Just now using the media to push Jarmo along .Hopefully we ship him and Bob out soon. Let Jones lead the team, have a crap load of cap room, get as much back as you can for both assets , and as good as both players are , their will be a bidding war .

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Which is it, Panarin?

Do you think anything happened between those 2 interviews? Did the situation evolve in some way?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don’t think it’s hard to read between the lines . He doesn’t want to play another season here . He wants a sign and trade . Just now using the media to push Jarmo along .Hopefully we ship him and Bob out soon. Let Jones lead the team, have a crap load of cap room, get as much back as you can for both assets , and as good as both players are , their will be a bidding war .

I don't see any reason to trade Bob unless you get a good offer. Goalies don't have much of a trade market. Even if we're looking to move on from him (which I don't think is set in stone) unless we're out of it at the deadline we should just keep him for this year.

Do you think anything happened between those 2 interviews? Did the situation evolve in some way?

I guess it's possible but the Russian article, Portzline article and the Dispatch article were posted a few hours from each other using much of the same quotes. I don't think Jarmo and Milstein talk enough for them to engage in conversations every day. Plus, all of this information was reportedly given to Jarmo at the Monday meeting so none of it was a surprise in all likelihood.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not much more to say about it. He wants out he's not staying it's time to get rid of him
Yes. There’s too much to be lost by letting him walk unless there’s simply no return available. And that return doesn’t have to be equal to what we think Bread is worth; rather it could be value that stacks up with Saad since that was the starting point.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Maybe what Milstein doesn't appreciate here is that the stakes are a lot higher for the Jackets than for Panarin. Panarin is in the catbird seat (what's that word even mean?) because he will get the contract he wants in the place he wants it; the Jackets, on the other hand, really need for this to be resolved one way or the other. There are several ways it could play out, and each one has much different value for the team. That's why it has gotten "blown out of proportion".

I also can understand Panarin, who's facing a pretty momentous decision, wanting more time (how do you choose where to spend the next 8 or so years of your life, in a foreign country? I had a really hard time just choosing a college major). Maybe he's the kind of person who overthinks.

But personally, I need more evidence that he definitely wants out before I join the "trade him now" camp. Now, I'm a naive sucker who never thought Lebron would leave Cleveland (the first time), so I'm prepared to be wrong. Someone explain to me why the "he's gone, he doesn't want to be here" narrative is so certain, please. Sometimes it feels like we're reading tea leaves, and we are so accustomed to expect the worst around here that it seems like a natural conclusion.

I mean, if he wanted to leave so definitively, he could have said so. Right? Why would he be "using the media to push Jarmo along", when he could just say what he wants? What am I missing? Because I feel like if we take their words at face value, he just doesn't know yet.

This is not really to say I think the going narrative is wrong, but I don't understand why it was so quickly and certainly arrived at. I don't necessarily think he's going to sign here, but I kind of think that possibility is not as outrageous as it seems around here.

edit: sorry for text wall

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It seems to me right now Bread has the best of both worlds, the Jackets the worst. If everything we have been told is true, the best I can summarize the situation as is, Jackets can trade him but for a reduced value because he hasn't provided a list of where he would re-sign or he can take his sweet time about deciding while playing out the string.

Right now Bread holds all the cards and to me all this "he wants to do the right thing" is total bs.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Seems a lot like the Jeff Carter trade, except Panarin actually cares.
Panarin has every right to be a free agent. He will have earned that after this season.
CBJ have decision of trading him now vs playing it out. We have a good team with him - that's the reason why I'm more inclined to play it out unless we get overwhelmed by an offer now.
Best case is team plays great - makes a run in playoffs and Bread sees what he has here and opts to stay.
Likely case is we are good and team can decide to trade him at deadline or make a run.
Worst case is he gets hurt and has no value.

Again I'd play it out unless we get overwhelmed in next 7 weeks.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Seems a lot like the Jeff Carter trade, except Panarin actually cares.
Panarin has every right to be a free agent. He will have earned that after this season.
CBJ have decision of trading him now vs playing it out. We have a good team with him - that's the reason why I'm more inclined to play it out unless we get overwhelmed by an offer now.
Best case is team plays great - makes a run in playoffs and Bread sees what he has here and opts to stay.
Likely case is we are good and team can decide to trade him at deadline or make a run.
Worst case is he gets hurt and has no value.

Again I'd play it out unless we get overwhelmed in next 7 weeks.

If he really cared he'd provide a list of where he would re-sign.

In your likely case if the team is in the hunt it can't trade him and the Jackets are most likely stuck with Tavares part deux.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
So I've been away a few days, let me make sure I'm straight on what has happened.

1) Panarin doesn't want to negotiate

2) He gave Jarmo a deadline sometime in September

WTF is the deadline for?

Reactions: cslebn

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So I've been away a few days, let me make sure I'm straight on what has happened.

1) Panarin doesn't want to negotiate

2) He gave Jarmo a deadline sometime in September

WTF is the deadline for?

Only thing I can figure is...

What business matters remain for the offseason? The thing was "not ready to sign long-term in Columbus at this time" right? Have we moved into a time when he might consider signing long-term in Columbus? If not, there really aren't any business things from his perspective. Except...

Whether or not he will discuss an extension with a team Jarmo is looking to trade him to.

Right?

Reactions: EspenK

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I say keep him til December, just before the holidays, then trade. Get some "points" out of him, then get rid of him with enough time left in the season for the team to get used to him being gone. Like Nash in the past, Panarin has such a HUGE impact on the offense, that it can almost be seen as "too much" impact. Its not so much an issue when he's playing (unless a team is focusing on him/shutting him down) but it absolutely is when he isn't playing for whatever reason or isn't playing at 100%. The last couple games in the playoffs, with his knee injury, is a good example.

There would be a pretty extreme "learning curve" internally within the team with Panarin removed. I don't think having Panarin around the team until the deadline would be disruptive. What would be disruptive (to the on-ice play) would be him being removed from the offense.

Another good point somebody made recently (don't remember who) is something like this, "We're going to lose Panarin/get 'worse', either NOW or IN A YEAR, we might as well do it now (Imo Dec) and get SOME assets for next year/the future". This idea that this supposed "window" for the CBJ is ONLY THIS year, is ridiculous. We might as well get assets to lessen the blow of losing Panarin if we are going to lose him anyway. The same thing (while not equal) could be said about Bob.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
With Panarin and Bob, we might have been in our "window" next year. Without one or both of them, it might take a couple years to get back to the level we are at now. If all goes well with Abramov, Elvis, Gavrikov, Texier, Milano, and whatever assets we hopefully get for Panarin, we could still be in a great spot in the long term. That said, I'm higher on Elvis than most, and think he would be able to fit into Bob's shoes nicely.

If/when Panarin does leave, we'll have a good amount of cap space, and even more when Dubi is bought out/comes off the books. I expect Jarmo will be aggressive with that cap space, and we would almost certainly sign a top 6 forward in free agency next summer, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->