Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How you can come to the conclusion that our star player clearly wanting out of the market could actually help ATTRACT players is beyond me.

Remember when the Jackets traded Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson and Johnson refused to embrace being part of building a new culture and a winning tradition in Columbus? Remember when James Wisniewski and Nick Foligno and Brandon Dubinsky all pouted their way out of Columbus after star players bailed on the city/team?

It's probably not the best look, but it's also not like players are a monolith.

Reactions: Viqsi

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How you can come to the conclusion that our star player clearly wanting out of the market could actually help ATTRACT players is beyond me.

The rest is a matter of opinion that has been beaten to death around here but this squad will take a step back now or in 12 months from now. I’d rather take the step back now with futures in my pockets that at least provide the possibility of helping to take two steps forward down the road.
I did not say that Panarin wanting out would attract other players. Whether or not Panarin wants to stay is beyond the control of the team.

Rather, winning attracts other players. That is something that the team CAN control.

Reactions: db2011

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Foote, Carter and now Panarin. There is evidence.
I would argue that we were an abomination of a franchise for the first 2 players. I can name plenty of players that were moved, that plan to live here when they retire. 99% of players want to go to a winning franchise . Jarmo and Jd have brought credibility to how the franchise is run. As Ive mentioned many times, Nashville was on the verge of losing their team. Fan support wasnt there, questions if Nashville could be a legit hockey town. They broke thru, and now they are players as a legit franchise that can attract free agents, etc . Panarin obviously doesnt want to be the man, to lead a franchise to that point. Time to send him packing. Maybe outside of hockey is more important to him.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Remember when the Jackets traded Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson and Johnson refused to embrace being part of building a new culture and a winning tradition in Columbus? Remember when James Wisniewski and Nick Foligno and Brandon Dubinsky all pouted their way out of Columbus after star players bailed on the city/team?

It's probably not the best look, but it's also not like players are a monolith.

By trotting out the likes of Foligno, Dubinsky, and Johnson are you saying you disagree with my point that there is evidence of players wanting out of Columbus?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I would argue that we were an abomination of a franchise for the first 2 players. I can name plenty of players that were moved, that plan to live here when they retire. 99% of players want to go to a winning franchise . Jarmo and Jd have brought credibility to how the franchise is run. As Ive mentioned many times, Nashville was on the verge of losing their team. Fan support wasnt there, questions if Nashville could be a legit hockey town. They broke thru, and now they are players as a legit franchise that can attract free agents, etc . Panarin obviously doesnt want to be the man, to lead a franchise to that point. Time to send him packing. Maybe outside of hockey is more important to him.

I’m not arguing that we aren’t a legit franchise. I agree with you whole heartily on that point.

I’m arguing the point that Panarin wanting out will actually help us attract players. I just find that wishful thinking on every level.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Rather, winning attracts other players. That is something that the team CAN control.
Winning absolutely does. But doing it combined with the best player walking out the door after the season puts a big "BUT" on the season.

The Blue Jackets finally got out of the first round, BUT Panarin just signed with XXX.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I did not say that Panarin wanting out would attract other players. Whether or not Panarin wants to stay is beyond the control of the team.

If that was your point then I apololgize for misunderstanding your post.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Reading back thru the article, and considering the other pieces, that they are not negotiating with the jackets now, this was basically a ultimatum that he will negotiate a sign and trade until 9-13, after that, hes playing season, and is likely a trade deadline move. F U Panarin. Time to change my handle

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Winning absolutely does. But doing it combined with the best player walking out the door after the season puts a big "BUT" on the season.

The Blue Jackets finally got out of the first round, BUT Panarin just signed with XXX.
All short time news. Any logical is going to look at Jones, Werenski, Pld , Cam , as reasons to sign with the cbj.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Not really. For depth players, sure that would be a concern. But for a star who is looking to become the go-to guy it won't be much of an issue.

The success will be attributed to a team and the star player will have no reason to believe that he cannot do just as well as Panarin.

CBJ: "We just made the playoffs for the 3rd season in a row and are getting better. Unfortunately, Panarin left which creates a hole at forward. We want you to fill that hole and get all of the opportunity that Panarin had."

Star Player: "Ok I can do that."

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not really.

The success will be attributed to a team and the star player will have no reason to believe that he cannot do just as well as Panarin.
right. That's fine. But star players aren't looking to go somewhere and say, hey, I can replace that guy and I'll be in the same spot next year when that same spot is likely a 1st or 2nd round exit. They want to be able to look at a place and say, I can join that roster and we go from a 1st/2nd round team to a cup contender.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
right. That's fine. But star players aren't looking to go somewhere and say, hey, I can replace that guy and I'll be in the same spot next year when that same spot is likely a 1st or 2nd round exit. They want to be able to look at a place and say, I can join that roster and we go from a 1st/2nd round team to a cup contender.
That's where the fact that the team is one of the youngest in the league comes in.

The Jackets still are planning to grow from year to year with the players they have.

And the player will want to go to a team that's committed to winning. Trading away your best forward for futures signals the opposite.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
And the player will want to go to a team that's committed to winning. Trading away your best forward for futures signals the opposite.
I disagree. It signals that you knew he was leaving so you did what was best for the organization long term because you realize making an all in decision like keeping panarin in the hopes of winning 1 playoff round is fools gold.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Foote, Carter and now Panarin. There is evidence.

Let's go back to 1832 shall we? Foote and Carter are ancient history. Foote wanted to go back to the Avs and Carter is Carter. No reasonable person looks at those two jokers thinks that reflects poorly on Columbus.

Let's not get ridiculous and have an actual conversation.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I disagree. It signals that you knew he was leaving so you did what was best for the organization long term because you realize making an all in decision like keeping panarin in the hopes of winning 1 playoff round is fools gold.

It signals that you make panic trades because you're too concerned about getting "value" in a vacuum rather than actually icing the best roster you can.

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not really. For depth players, sure that would be a concern. But for a star who is looking to become the go-to guy it won't be much of an issue.

CBJ: "We just made the playoffs for the 3rd season in a row and are getting better. Unfortunately, Panarin left which creates a hole at forward. We want you to fill that hole and get all of the opportunity that Panarin had."

Star Player: "Ok I can do that."

It's awfully wishful thinking to believe a star player will hit UFA, let alone consider us. I know you'll bring up Tavares, but he was the biggest UFA since Parise/Suter which was 7 years ago.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's awfully wishful thinking to believe a star player will hit UFA, let alone consider us. I know you'll bring up Tavares, but he was the biggest UFA since Parise/Suter which was 7 years ago.
This is true but that's the only way that the Jackets will be able to get star talent for the foreseeable future.

No matter what they do, they won't be bad enough to have a realistic shot at winning the draft lottery. Their young core that they have locked down is too good for that. They probably won't be able to get one in a trade because it would require moving someone like Jones or Werenski. Therefore UFA is the only realistic option.

Reactions: OldGoaltender

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This is true but that's the only way that the Jackets will be able to get star talent for the foreseeable future.

No matter what they do, they won't be bad enough to have a realistic shot at winning the draft lottery. Their young core that they have locked down is too good for that. They probably won't be able to get one in a trade because it would require moving someone like Jones or Werenski. Therefore UFA is the only realistic option.

I agree with you here. But a Panarin trade could POTENTIALLY bring in a star-ish forward in the future.

Just like how we got Saad. We accumulated a lot of draft picks and prospects, and used them to get Saad. Then traded Saad and more assets for a star. We could do it again.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I agree with you here. But a Panarin trade could POTENTIALLY bring in a star-ish forward in the future.

Just like how we got Saad. We accumulated a lot of draft picks and prospects, and used them to get Saad. Then traded Saad and more assets for a star. We could do it again.
The odds of any of those happening are probably lower than the odds that a star reaches free agency and considers the Jackets.

I think the max return the Jackets would be able to get is a 40 point forward who is already pretty much developed and a mid 1st. Think Bjugstad and FLA 1st 2019. Which is essentially a package that will amount to a whole lot of nothing in 3-4 years.

The intelligent team would not trade a high likelihood of having an elite player for 1 year in exchange for a small likelihood of having an impact player in the future. Thankfully, I think Jarmo is pretty decent at risk analysis. If he gets more, go for it. But until then you stick with the year of Panarin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The odds of any of those happening are probably lower than the odds that a star reaches free agency and considers the Jackets.

I think the max return the Jackets would be able to get is a 40 point forward who is already pretty much developed and a mid 1st. Think Bjugstad and FLA 1st 2019. Which is essentially a package that will amount to a whole lot of nothing in 3-4 years.
The odds of accumulating assets and trading them for upgrades is more unlikely than a star getting to UFA and considering us? I'm going to have to heavily disagree with you there. It happens all the time around the league. Star UFA's do not.

40 point forward, mid 1st, and top prospect seems fine to me.

(40 points would have been tied for 5th on our team last year in points, 4th if you subtract Panarin)

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The odds of accumulating assets and trading them for upgrades is more unlikely than a star getting to UFA and considering us? I'm going to have to heavily disagree with you there. It happens all the time around the league. Star UFA's do not.

40 point forward, mid 1st, and top prospect seems fine to me.

(40 points would have been tied for 5th on our team last year in points, 4th if you subtract Panarin)
I do not think it does. The Jackets lucked out twice by taking advantage of Chicago's cap situation. That kind of opportunity (as well as trading Johansen for Jones) is very rare and Jarmo was astute to jump on them when he did.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I do not think it does. The Jackets lucked out twice by taking advantage of Chicago's cap situation. That kind of opportunity (as well as trading Johansen for Jones) is very rare and Jarmo was astute to jump on them when he did.

With a salary cap, there will always be opportunities to take advantage of cap strapped teams. Toronto appears to be next.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Let's go back to 1832 shall we? Foote and Carter are ancient history. Foote wanted to go back to the Avs and Carter is Carter. No reasonable person looks at those two jokers thinks that reflects poorly on Columbus.

Let's not get ridiculous and have an actual conversation.

Thanks for setting the “rules.” Lol. So how far back is relevant, Blah? Just ensure the cut stops where it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Trade Panarin & Bob for picks and prospects and I like their chances.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Thanks for setting the “rules.” Lol. So how far back is relevant, Blah? Just ensure the cut stops where it doesn’t fit your narrative.

I don't know; maybe we can look after the entire FO was reorganized, with something other than multiple head coaches ago, and after back to back playoff appearances? Do I really have to have this conversation? We are a completely different franchise than we were.

If you can't see how Carter isn't even a relevant conversation I don't really know what to tell you. He wouldn't have been happy with well over half of the franchises out there. Yes, the entire world was wondering why Foote went back to the franchise that he spent most of his life (no f***ing duh).

:skeptic:

I'm sorry you've now "triggered" me. This is just asinine. There isn't any comparison with those cases. f***.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad