Confirmed with Link: Panarin taking leave of absence from NYR (Warning in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Regarding police reports: As far as I know you cannot just request confidential information like that without a court order. It's all protected by EU law. The only people who can request a copy of a police report are the parties involved.

These things differ from country to country, but you can often get out some kind of masked version of events. But like you say, the names are surely masked. What you might get is info on a report being made at a specific place and time, maybe even the subject matter.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I am informing people to be careful with believing some kind of so-called reporters. Or do you want me to be silent if some reporters are releasing statements/posts/tweets with false facts? If you are a reporter or journalist, your first duty is to check all facts & all details & background. That is all I want a reporter/journalist to do.

i should listen to you though? A random poster I’ve never seen before? I’ve been posting here 20 years. Now you’re an expert?

Reactions: leetch99

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
at the end of the day all of this crap could of been avoided if professional athletes stop commenting on social media about politics.
as a Ranger fan i could not care less about Panarin's political views or Deangelo's or Lebrons...you guys are jock strap athletes playing a game to entertain us and nothing more...just Shut up and play

same with actors and musicians' just shut up and do your job we don't care about your political views and never did... also most of these people lack any intelligence or experience to even comment on politics
They're not just jock strap athletes, many many young ppl throughout the world look up to them and listen when they speak, and these star athletes want to use their hard earned position and status to actually make a difference in the world more than just getting their names engraved on a silver cup. Whether you agree with their causes or not, they are, in their own minds, trying to improve lives for millions. These are matters dear to their heart that are more important to them than their profession and I respect that, even if I might not always agree with it. Work is a job, a very lucrative job for them, but none the less a job.

Reactions: haveandare

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
at the end of the day all of this crap could of been avoided if professional athletes stop commenting on social media about politics.
as a Ranger fan i could not care less about Panarin's political views or Deangelo's or Lebrons...you guys are jock strap athletes playing a game to entertain us and nothing more...just Shut up and play

same with actors and musicians' just shut up and do your job we don't care about your political views and never did... also most of these people lack any intelligence or experience to even comment on politics

I think there's a difference between spouting off on an issue that is divisive in the country you play in, and condemning a foreign despot back home.

Putin has like a 2% approval rating in America, so this isn't an issue that is going to cause locker room problems.

Reactions: romba

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
These things differ from country to country, but you can often get out some kind of masked version of events. But like you say, the names are surely masked. What you might get is info on a report being made at a specific place and time, maybe even the subject matter.

Yes, so you'd have to ask about an incident on Dec 11th 2011 at the Radisson Hotel in Riga. I'm not sure the police can hand out that information to some random person.

Reactions: Ola

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
They're not just jock strap athletes, many many young ppl throughout the world look up to them and listen when they speak, and these star athletes want to use their hard earned position and status to actually make a difference in the world more than just getting their names engraved on a silver cup. Whether you agree with their causes or not, they are, in their own minds, trying to improve lives for millions. These are matters dear to their heart that are more important to them than their profession and I respect that, even if I might not always agree with it. Work is a job, a very lucrative job for them, but none the less a job.

that's the problem young people should not look up to them for their political beliefs...do you get your political viewpoint from Madonna or Robert Deniro or Bruce Springsteen ?

Reactions: romba

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
panarin has family back home and should of used his brain before putting them and him in jeopardy...panarin should of kept his mouth shut and just play hockey and not comment on things outside of his expertise... he has no political experience or knowledge ...its just his opinion that he should of kept to himself.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I believe you understand the difference between quoting Nazarov (or whoever) and misinterpretation of his words, in this case for the American audience. But I admit that this misinterpretation can be a result of unprofessionalism by a reporter or his/her bad language skills etc. But, all in all, such a reporter is not credible for me. I prefer to check the facts in original sources.

But you to understand, it is not only about that Latvian. It is a general problem, in this case, when American/Canadian/other journalists do not speak Russian, do not understand Russia & its culture, etc.
When you run an interview that contains salacious and damaging allegations against someone, alleging not just an assault but an illegal coverup, it is incumbent on the interviewer and the media outlet to investigate those claims and evaluate their veracity before publishing them. Particularly when the person making the claims is one who is known for unstable behavior! This is a basic, fundamental concept of responsible journalism and journalism ethics. If you want to tell me this is not a fundamental aspect of journalism in Russia, then I would submit that whatever concerns you have about Kalnins pale in comparison and border on completely irrelevant.

Subsequent reporting on Nazarov's initial claims has shot 20 different holes in his story, which at this point seems nothing more than the ramblings of a deranged, jealous man. Had the the initial interviewer or his outlet done their homework, they likely would have reached the same conclusions. Instead, they printed a steaming pile of garbage. And yet, you want to talk about Kalnins being unreliable or whatever. Your agenda is crystal clear.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I’m not a expert on bots or Russians but I think it’s too much replying, long personal and writing for bots. Sometimes people defend there stance to a seemingly robotic degree. It would be a hell of a Russian coder if you ask me. /2¢. Anyways, I don’t want to side track. Carry on.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I never thought the Cozybear collective would think our little old boards were important enough to spread disinformation. Apparently our opinions are all more important than we thought!

they should stick to Reddit.

#freepanarin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not dispositive of anything, but the KHL never receiving a complaint further suggests that whatever happened that night was a nothing incident.

Well I've defended Panarin this whole thread but wouldn't a bribe explain the KHL not hearing about it and allowing for it to happen anyway?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
When you run an interview that contains salacious and damaging allegations against someone, alleging not just an assault but an illegal coverup, it is incumbent on the interviewer and the media outlet to investigate those claims and evaluate their veracity before publishing them. Particularly when the person making the claims is one who is known for unstable behavior! This is a basic, fundamental concept of responsible journalism and journalism ethics. If you want to tell me this is not a fundamental aspect of journalism in Russia, then I would submit that whatever concerns you have about Kalnins pale in comparison and border on completely irrelevant.

Subsequent reporting on Nazarov's initial claims has shot 20 different holes in his story, which at this point seems nothing more than the ramblings of a deranged, jealous man. Had the the initial interviewer or his outlet done their homework, they likely would have reached the same conclusions. Instead, they printed a steaming pile of garbage. And yet, you want to talk about Kalnins being unreliable or whatever. Your agenda is crystal clear.

Surprisingly Russian journalism has been rather good about this, actually. This story was a nothing burger until it hit the New York press once Panarin left the team.

If Slava Malamud is to be believed (who knows) even Sport-Express, his old employers refused to print the story due to lack of verification. The story eventually came out in Komsomolskaya, which is a pro government tabloid.
It didn't blow up big in Russia until after it hit big in New York with everybody writing about Nazarov's comments when Panarin left the team. It then came back full circle.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOFIN and nyr2k2

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Well I've defended Panarin this whole thread but wouldn't a bribe explain the KHL not hearing about it and allowing for it to happen anyway?

Bribe? Gimme a break. More likely it was never reported to the KHL because it was such a minor incident.

I'm glad the KHL (yes, many a Putin crony) is coming out, at least tacitly, on Panarin's behalf. Time to put this ridiculous Nazarov crap to an end.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bribe? Gimme a break. More likely it was never reported to the KHL because it was such a minor incident.

I'm glad the KHL (yes, many a Putin crony) is coming out, at least tacitly, on Panarin's behalf. Time to put this ridiculous Nazarov crap to an end.

What I'm saying is that Nazarov said there was a 40k bribe right? So if that were true (I don't believe it is) it would explain KHL not hearing anything.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
that's the problem young people should not look up to them for their political beliefs...do you get your political viewpoint from Madonna or Robert Deniro or Bruce Springsteen ?
Depends I guess.

If Robert Deniro’s telling people to be nice to other people and recycle I’d prob rather my kids listen to him over someone like Roseanne Barr who said a black person looked like the baby of Muslim brotherhood and planet of the apes and blamed it on drugs.

I think.

Reactions: UnSandvich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad