Proposal: Panarin - Stone - Nylander (all signed long term)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Panarin > Stone >>>> Nylander. Regardless of ace, if all three sign a long term contract, whoever Toronto gets out of the two others makes out like Bandit. It’s not even remotely close

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, I mean Panarin is an electrifying player but Nylander isn't bad himself and the Leafs are already more than set up front.
Yup. I mean if the Leafs can get for rental price, sure....but there is no reason to move top assets for anything other than D.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Am I the only one who would rather have stone than panarin? Selke calibre, would do lots to improve the quality of team defense,

Maybe not the only one but I'd imagine you'd be in the minority. Panarin is light-years ahead offensively for me and not that bad defensively either (an area of his game that has steadily improved during each NHL season). I love Stone but last year was his offensive breakout whereas the Breadman has been this good for 3 years.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe not the only one but I'd imagine you'd be in the minority. Panarin is light-years ahead offensively for me and not that bad defensively either (an area of his game that has steadily improved during each NHL season). I love Stone but last year was his offensive breakout whereas the Breadman has been this good for 3 years.

Stone broke out last year?

Have you looked at his career stats?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Stone broke out last year?

Have you looked at his career stats?

Yes, I am very aware of his career stats and I've watched him play a great deal, wasn't trying to diminish him at all. But a 60pt guy who gets a ton of icetime is nowhere close to Panarin's offensive level the past 3 years. There was a big difference last year with Stone producing at a Panarin-level (PPG) before his injury. My use of "breakout" might have been loose but I think in context it was justifiable.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yes, I am very aware of his career stats and I've watched him play a great deal, wasn't trying to diminish him at all. But a 60pt guy who gets a ton of icetime is nowhere close to Panarin's offensive level the past 3 years. There was a big difference last year with Stone producing at a Panarin-level (PPG) before his injury. My use of "breakout" might have been loose but I think in context it was justifiable.
I don't know how last year could be viewed as a break out year for Stone - 3rd time over the 60pt barrier with a similar shooting % as the years before and a higher OIsh% than the previous two seasons.

Agree that there's a gap between the two players offensively, but "breakout" is used to mean a season where a player elevated his level of play to another tier, and I don't think that's applicable when comparing Stone's last season to the 3 before it

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I don't know how last year could be viewed as a break out year for Stone - 3rd time over the 60pt barrier with a similar shooting % as the years before and a higher OIsh% than the previous two seasons.

Agree that there's a gap between the two players offensively, but "breakout" is used to mean a season where a player elevated his level of play to another tier, and I don't think that's applicable when comparing Stone's last season to the 3 before it

Fair enough. To be fair the actual post was "offensive breakout" and in my mind there are levels to this. A 60 pt guy is in a substantially lower level than an 80+ pt guy. Again, maybe the word "breakout" was misleading. I was moreso implying that this was the first season in Stone's career that he could be considered a borderline elite offensive player to go along with his already elite defensive abilities.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fair enough. To be fair the actual post was "offensive breakout" and in my mind there are levels to this. A 60 pt guy is in a substantially lower level than an 80+ pt guy. Again, maybe the word "breakout" was misleading. I was moreso implying that this was the first season in Stone's career that he could be considered a borderline elite offensive player to go along with his already elite defensive abilities.
I think your idea is right, but you're using a word that usually means an improvement in play relative to a player's own previous level of play

I don't think that there's much to knock Stone on for last year either, his shots/Corsi/Fenwick were down a bit, but that team also went from being a playoff team to being a circus, his context didn't set him up for success. He's a middle of the pack 1st line player with elite defense, I think an acquiring team would profile him as that

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Panarin > Stone >>>> Nylander. Regardless of ace, if all three sign a long term contract, whoever Toronto gets out of the two others makes out like Bandit. It’s not even remotely close

Yeah Toronto comes out feeling like a bandit (just wait til Leaf fans watch two games of Panarin, they'd be shitting themselves), but Ottawa fans and Columbus fans also are breathing sighs of relief that they got good players and didn't end up losing their guys for nothing in a year or stuck with some low-value rental deal.

The trick here is that all three players are willing to sign long term in the new city. If that is the case, then there's an easy opportunity for all three teams to benefit from this deal.

Reactions: Viqsi

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
As a Leafs fan, more than happy with this. Panarin would have to sign long terms hough, I don't wan any of that "I wanna leave now" crap a year after he arrives.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You get a sign-and trade! And YOU get a sign-and trade! Everybody gets a sign-and trade!

The trade board is out of control with this trend this summer, and increasingly out of touch with how the NHL traditionally operates. Players don't seek out these kinds of deals.

Players who agree to sign-and trade deals are exceptionally rare, and yet proposals are showing up with two of them in the same deal. I dub thee Lewis and Clark, OP. Pioneer. Yours has three of them. That's a first for me.

Unless they are re-upping, pending UFAs in particular value choice more than that eighth year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The question for the Leafs is how much is Panarin signed long term for?
Are we assuming Kucherov money? 9.5 million for 7/8 years? If that's the case, then yes, Nylander has to go. We can't afford Panarin + Tavares and the 3 kids.
Would I straight up swap Panarin/Nylander if Columbus (for whatever reason) said ok. Because Columbus is comfortable in their cap structure paying Nylander less for 6/7 years at this time.
The answer is yes, for a long term Panarin.
But there is a lot of assuming. No one even knows Panarin's long range plan. At present he might have a destination in mind (he wont sign an extension) and is only dealt as a 1 year option.
The answer to that then is no.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Nylander has no business being in a deal with Panarin & Stone.
Sure he does. He is controllable asset that won't be breaking the bank as the other guys will be and has the potential to become as good as panarin (even though it may not be likely).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Unless they are re-upping, pending UFAs in particular value choice more than that eighth year.

It's certainly a rarity. But I'm supposing here that this is where the players would want to play. They get their choice and their 8 year deal. Panarin wants a big stage and a big city? Toronto. Mark Stone gets out of Ottawa, avoids injury risk in his last year, and lands on a winner? Columbus. I didn't just pick random cities. As for Nylander, he doesn't actually need to be signed first, because his value is similar signed or not.

Such a trade isn't likely but it's not impossible either. Hypothetically Jarmo would call up Dubas and ask him if he'd take Panarin for Nylander at a given Panarin contract. Then call Dorion and ask if he'd take Nylander for Stone. Then you call up Panarin and Stone's agents and see if each player is willing to take that deal to enable the trade. If Jarmo wants to do it there are 4 veto points to work through, and though it's unlikely he can get all 4 on board, individually I see all of them being better off doing so.

** of course Stone can't sign until the new year. So this would actually be impossible until that point.**

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hahaha no. Stone is more valuable to the sens that both.
not to rub salt in the wound, but is chemistry really a consideration with the current Sens NHL roster? From the outside it definitely feels like most of them will be gone before the team is competitive again

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
The question for the Leafs is how much is Panarin signed long term for?
Are we assuming Kucherov money? 9.5 million for 7/8 years? If that's the case, then yes, Nylander has to go. We can't afford Panarin + Tavares and the 3 kids.
Would I straight up swap Panarin/Nylander if Columbus (for whatever reason) said ok. Because Columbus is comfortable in their cap structure paying Nylander less for 6/7 years at this time.
The answer is yes, for a long term Panarin.
But there is a lot of assuming. No one even knows Panarin's long range plan. At present he might have a destination in mind (he wont sign an extension) and is only dealt as a 1 year option.
The answer to that then is no.

well the 9.5m for Kuch is like 11m in most other states as far as take home pay...and with Toronto having one of the highest income taxes, I'd expect that number would be a tick higher than 11m

iBELEAF

May 30, 2011
Vancouver
Nylander has no business being in a deal with Panarin & Stone.

I guarantee you if/when Panarin and/or Stone is traded they wont get a player like Nylander.

Leafs probably need a to add a little but Nylander's RFA years is what makes this a closer trade than you think.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I guarantee you if/when Panarin and/or Stone is traded they wont get a player like Nylander.

Leafs probably need a to add a little but Nylander's RFA years is what makes this a closer trade than you think.
If Panarin and Stone are signed to long term extensions, than yes they would return more than Nylander.

Reactions: Fro

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
not to rub salt in the wound, but is chemistry really a consideration with the current Sens NHL roster? From the outside it definitely feels like most of them will be gone before the team is competitive again
I bet you stone and Duchene both sign long term deals. Karlsson is the one that will leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad