Proposal: Panarin - Stone - Nylander (all signed long term)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Regarding Zaitsev and his play last year: he was concussed and only getting over it by the time the season started. Broke his foot in December, and then caught a bad flu down the stretch. (He lost 10lbs while sick).
I don't think health means he will be an all star, but I expect we will see a better season from him

...and had his 1st child as well.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

hsfgsteele

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Yeah that was my plan to begin with. But there's a lot more cap complications when there's futures packages being traded for an $8-9m player like Panarin. Whatever team that is getting Panarin is going to need to unload salary to somewhere. Where does that go? Ottawa would do well to take a combination of futures and salary dumps, but that's not the way Melnyk operates.

My original thought was San Jose. I know most of the rumours are about wanting to go to a big city but I also think the coast may be high on his list. They potentially have the cap space to not need to send salary dumps back. I know in that thread, a few proposals were thrown around, maybe something around Tierney and Meier as I think that would free up ~8.1 million in cap space for San Jose. That alone covers Panarin for this season and if Jumbo Joe decides to hang them up, theres another 5 million in cap space for the extension. Other moves may need to be completed but it seems to me that SJ has a good situation for it.

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
The value is there but it really doesn't improve any of the teams either. They all just stay where they are rn. It's the kinda trade I would expect to see if all 3 of these gm had a few drinks together and we like aww f*** it and made a trade just to make one.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think this is about as good of a 3 way trade as I've seen proposed on HF.

Reactions: Fro

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This actually makes some sense - the players aren't all equal obviously, but certain circumstances make them potentially expendable.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Good idea for the unhappy components of the deal....Doubtful Willy wants to leave though! Also Willy is 4/5 years younger which really holds a lot of value in itself. Could concede that the other two are presently better players,but not much and unlikely they still would be 2/3 years from now.
Dubas says no!

Mar 26, 2010
Panarin is highly skilled. I just don’t think Toronto moves Nylander.

Kind of a lateral move.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I'd exclude columbus completely and go for Stone. He's so underrated and definitely the type of player that helps teams win championships. His two-way game is arguably the best. You know what they say... If your D sucks, have your forwards play it :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My original thought was San Jose. I know most of the rumours are about wanting to go to a big city but I also think the coast may be high on his list. They potentially have the cap space to not need to send salary dumps back. I know in that thread, a few proposals were thrown around, maybe something around Tierney and Meier as I think that would free up ~8.1 million in cap space for San Jose. That alone covers Panarin for this season and if Jumbo Joe decides to hang them up, theres another 5 million in cap space for the extension. Other moves may need to be completed but it seems to me that SJ has a good situation for it.

Yes, that makes a good bit of sense.

I'm not sure if it works for the Sharks next year given they've earmarked so much of the extra space to Couture ($8m per!?).

And I'm not sure Timo Meier is enough for the Sens to cough up Stone.

But if those are no obstacles then it looks like a good deal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good idea for the unhappy components of the deal....Doubtful Willy wants to leave though! Also Willy is 4/5 years younger which really holds a lot of value in itself. Could concede that the other two are presently better players,but not much and unlikely they still would be 2/3 years from now.
Dubas says no!

They'll still be in their 20's in 2 or 3 years. And Panarin at least, in my opinion, is a stealth Hart trophy candidate. I see Nylander improving, but expecting him to surpass Panarin's level is a poor bet, as it would be for almost any player.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
They'll still be in their 20's in 2 or 3 years. And Panarin at least, in my opinion, is a stealth Hart trophy candidate. I see Nylander improving, but expecting him to surpass Panarin's level is a poor bet, as it would be for almost any player.
Not a poor bet if he continues to play with Matthews. That said,I truly believe he is a center and if traded would do well in that role.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not a poor bet if he continues to play with Matthews.

Panarin and two scrubs is a first line. Nylander can't be on that level if there is any "if he plays with" condition attached to him. It would have to be the other way around: player x is great "if he plays with Nylander".

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Panarin and two scrubs is a first line. Nylander can't be on that level if there is any "if he plays with" condition attached to him. It would have to be the other way around: player x is great "if he plays with Nylander".
This is the reason I mention he is a center...really think he is still figuring out the winger thing. He can control the play,free wheel in the O-zone ,has a great shot,skates smooth...To say he won't reach Panarin level is a guess! Nylander has shown enough to say he could get to that level !

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn’t do it as a leafs fan. Nylander is going to surprise a lot of people this season imo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Toronto has to add here, they are getting by far the best player of the 3. I think Ottawa and Columbus could get more in separate deals.
There the only one trading someone who has 5 more years of team control. Both Panarin and Stone are upcoming UFA's.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Leave Ottawa out of it.

We're not going to downgrade from Stone to Nylander just to help out the laffs.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Leave Ottawa out of it.

We're not going to downgrade from Stone to Nylander just to help out the laffs.
Oh, we don't need any of your help. We will be just fine. If you have trouble finding out how fine we are just look up.. at the standings.

member 157595

I agree. Toronto should sign Doughty. Or Pietrangelo. Or Subban. Or Parayko. And not Panarin.

I cannot tell if you're being snarky or not, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you're not being that way.

There is a hard salary cap in this league and another forward that will cost close to $10M/year would be an ill-advised move for this team given their defensive troubles. Panarin is better now and likely to remain a better player than William Nylander going forward. I've never argued otherwise. But upgrading from Nylander to Panarin simply isn't affordable, we have enough high-priced forwards as it is. I'd rather put Zaitsev in a position to rebound (I'm convinced he's a better player than he showed last year) and look to add to the right side with a guy like Chris Tanev.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Pretty fair deal... TO may need to add a little, as they get the best player. Otherwise... pretty solid. Whether or not Toronto needs Panarin is a different story.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Toronto is moving Nylander it should be to return a d-man that they need not to return a slightly better and older winger.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If Toronto is moving Nylander it should be to return a d-man that they need not to return a slightly better and older winger.
This is correct. I don't see Dubas trading Nylander...but if he did, it would be for D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad