Proposal: Panarin - Stone - Nylander (all signed long term)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
EDIT:
If the premise is everyone is signed long term, it costs more than Nylander, and now I'm definitely not in favour

Yes everyone signed long term. That's what it says, in the first sentence.

Would you be in favor if it was just Nylander?

We've got another fan here saying Ottawa would be thrilled if they got Nylander for Stone. Which one is it?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Leafs aren't going to pay to downgrade their D (move Zaitsev for someone cheaper as per OP) in order to upgrade their already potent offense.

No one in their right mind would ever trade for Zaitsev. He’s a Alzner signed 2 more years. He’s right there with Seabrook as the most untradable contract.

member 147413

We've got another fan here saying Ottawa would be thrilled if they got Nylander for Stone. Which one is it?
Stone isn’t going to be in Ottawa past next season. Yes they should be thrilled if they acquire Nylander in return for him.

hsfgsteele

Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I posted something similar to this in the Panarin thread. If Toronto isn't on board, bring in a different 3rd party that Panarin would sign with and send a (most likely futures based) package back to ottawa. I do like the idea of getting Stone for Panarin.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Well lookie who's popped into yet another leafs thread to sling his dung...

I don’t know a single team in the league that would take on this contract for free. Hell, I don’t even think a team would bite at that 26M guaranteed over the next 6 years if a 1st was attached to it for that plug.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don’t know a single team in the league that would take on this contract for free. Hell, I don’t even think a team would bite at that 26M guaranteed over the next 6 years if a 1st was attached to it for that plug.
ZomboMeme 01082018150519.jpg

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Panarin will likely want and get 8x8 or more. Now on this Earth are we gonna afford Him, Marner and Matthews?

Would love him as I think he is a step up but with a Hard Cap and that CLB would likely want an add it doesn’t seem possible!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think Toronto could get a signed Panarin for Nylander. That being said he'll cost a couple million more which would make it that more difficult cap wise.

Stone can't sign a long term contract until January now that he signed the 1 year contract today so that kind of makes this pointless unless you're suggesting this happens then.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd much rather Stone than Panarin but I'd rather keep Nylander over both because I think he'll be cheaper and very comparable when he hits his prime.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I know yours wouldn't because they already have 4 or 5 horrible contracts to swallow :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I posted something similar to this in the Panarin thread. If Toronto isn't on board, bring in a different 3rd party that Panarin would sign with and send a (most likely futures based) package back to ottawa. I do like the idea of getting Stone for Panarin.

Yeah that was my plan to begin with. But there's a lot more cap complications when there's futures packages being traded for an $8-9m player like Panarin. Whatever team that is getting Panarin is going to need to unload salary to somewhere. Where does that go? Ottawa would do well to take a combination of futures and salary dumps, but that's not the way Melnyk operates.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Are you asking me if I would deal WN for AP, both signed long term, 1 for 1?

And what the hell does my comment have to do with someone else commenting on Nylander vs Stone?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Yes.

Because you implied that it would cost more than Nylander, yet Ottawa would be happy with Nylander, and Columbus happy with Stone.

I guess I would trade him if the salary is equal. Panarin is better, so I suspect he'd get a couple million more. In that case I might not, just because our cap is already gonna be tight as it is. Not sure we can afford even 2-3 million more AAV.

I think me saying AP costs more than WN in trade is quite reasonable. I can't speak to what the other posters are saying value wise. If it's a Sens fan saying he'd be happy to have Nylander for Stone, I'm assuming he means with current contract situations?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Stone isn’t going to be in Ottawa past next season. Yes they should be thrilled if they acquire Nylander in return for him.

That would be the only reason, otherwise Stone >>>>> Nylander

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think me saying AP costs more than WN in trade is quite reasonable.

I mean I hope you are right, I'm a Jackets fan. But if Toronto is one of only a half-dozen teams he's willing to sign long term with, then that should bring his trade price down. The idea is that Toronto strongly prefers to have Panarin, and Ottawa and Columbus will be happy with Nylander and Stone, given the terrible circumstances.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
I mean I hope you are right, I'm a Jackets fan. But if Toronto is one of only a half-dozen teams he's willing to sign long term with, then that should bring his trade price down. The idea is that Toronto strongly prefers to have Panarin, and Ottawa and Columbus will be happy with Nylander and Stone, given the terrible circumstances.

Yeah fair enough, the fact that they don't want to play in those cities could lower the value.
In this case, I'd rather keep the guy we drafted who wants to be here, even if Panarin is better

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Am I the only one who would rather have stone than panarin? Selke calibre, would do lots to improve the quality of team defense,
Think im in agreement here, kinda surprise Stone had 62 pts in 58 gp. ppg+ and can play the PK exactly the kind of winger the leafs would want im thinking

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I have no idea how much Panarin would cost. He's obviously better than Nylander in a vacuum but in reality we need to focus on upgrading the defense more than upgrading Nylander to Panarin.

I agree. Toronto should sign Doughty. Or Pietrangelo. Or Subban. Or Parayko. And not Panarin.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Wouldn’t it just be better to trade for Panarin as a rental in the Leafs’ case? If he loves it there, maybe he stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00