Rumor: Panarin 'reluctant' to sign with Columbus long-term

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I didn't say it has no music scene. I said it's not Austin which is probably top 5 in the country. If you really want to debate that I'd be happy to do so. Just let me know.

But I don't think there is a Columbus City Limits.
Or a Midwest x Midwest festival.
Nor does Columbus bill itself as "Live Music Capital of the World" like Austin.
Nor is there a type of music known world wide as the "Columbus Sound"
Nor did you have an exodus of noncomformists that left a corporate music center arrive in Columbus and create a scene that hatched legends like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earle, Jerry Jeff Walker, and psychedelic freaks like Roky Erikson and the 13th Floor Elevators.
Nor a blues scene that spawned Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marcia Ball, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Lou Ann Barton, Doyle Bramhall, Gary Clark Jr. and others.
And other acts like Alejandro Escovedo, the Dixie Chicks, B***hole Surfers, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Eric Johnson, Hot Club of Cowtown, Charlie Sexton and one of my personal favorites: Storyville.

And you mentioned 1 festival. Austin has 2 of the biggest in the country as well as probably a dozen other pretty big music festivals.

It's not a slight to Columbus to say it doesn't compare to Austin as far as a music scene. I'm from Boston which once had one of the best music scenes in the world (sadly not any more) and I can tell you Boston isn't close to Austin.

Other than Nashville I don't think you have another city with music being so vitally important to its culture as Austin.

I realize this is a tiny gripe from weeks ago, and you probably only meant cities with an NHL team...but New Orleans, dude. New Orleans.

Reactions: Lurch

paragon

May 5, 2010
No deal for NJ. Giving up a former 1st round pick and a 1st round pick for a defenseman who is nearly past his prime. Would be more interested in just cutting out LA and giving zacha, 1st Rd pick, + for panarin. NJ definitely has some intriguing prospects to pull this deal off. It's only a question of if Ray wants to commit to a big money player before hall, Nico, and butcher need to get paid
Devils are the ones who make out like bandits in that trade. Zacha is a bust and a 1st is only a 1st. That's nothing for 2 years of Muzzin who's signed to a cheap deal.

Frankly I don't see why Devils are included in the trade at all. If Muzzin and Pearson for Panarin was on the table CBJ should just take it.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

“A source”. In order to make the cap work for a likely 9M deal they would have to find a way to get rid of Seabrook with DeBrincat and Schmaltz needing raises, too.

I just don’t see it being likely when he can take 9M to play with a contender, and that’s even before considering the task of moving Seabrook.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
“A source”. In order to make the cap work for a likely 9M deal they would have to find a way to get rid of Seabrook with DeBrincat and Schmaltz needing raises, too.

I just don’t see it being likely when he can take 9M to play with a contender, and that’s even before considering the task of moving Seabrook.

It would probably take DeBrincat to get someone to take on that atrocious Seabrook contract.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I mean in the article Powers posted a lineup for 19-20’ season that had Panarin at 9mil w/ Schmaltz at 6m and Seabrook still on the team. The Hawks could realistically fit him in without making any big moves, it just depends on if that’s the route they want to go.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm going to be pretty bitter if the Hawks and Pens just keep focusing on now and avoiding the future only to completely crap out when their current stars fade, nab top picks in great drafts again and start the cycle over.

Having said that, I'm 99% certain that's exactly whats going to happen.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So Panarin isn't joining the Kings yet? What a chump. Hurry up.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
It would probably take DeBrincat to get someone to take on that atrocious Seabrook contract.

There’s a lockout coming and with that compliance buyouts or a completely new salary structure I.e Toronto and a ton of big markets will be pushing hard for a soft cap or no cap at all.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Hawks could easily (with easy moves) afford Panarin after this season if he signs at $9mil per year. It is just pure ignorance to think otherwise.

Reactions: wahsnairb

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Ward, Kruger, Kunitz, and Rutta free over 9 million on their own a Seabrook trade isn’t even needed if anyone would be moved it would be Arty/Murphy

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He's really not saying anything of substance. Panarin is probably 'seriously considering' staying in Columbus, or going anywhere else too.
It's been reported he is seriously considering not signing in CLB and wants to play in a big market. Powers doesn't just throw these kind of things out there. There is typically something behind it.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Maybe Schmaltz, but not DeBrincat. Either way, I just don’t see it as being any more likely than any other destination given the logistics.

10 million in space is freed up this very off season if Schmaltz and cat both sign around 6.5 it fits one of Arty or Murphy could be moved if the cap doesnt hit around 86 million by the time Cat becomes a RFA

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crawford is also a UFA the year Cat needs a new contract, that's 6mil off the books, find a goalie to sign for cheaper and just outscore the opps every night.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Crawford is also a UFA the year Cat needs a new contract, that's 6mil off the books, find a goalie to sign for cheaper and just outscore the opps every night.
If Crow is still healthy, he's the kind of guy who'd take a team friendly deal to stay in Chicago.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Not true, you’re basing that off the Hawks’ past cap situations. They’re no longer in that type of cap hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad