Rumor: Panarin 'reluctant' to sign with Columbus long-term

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
@CupsOverCash

Yeah, not being able to re-sign Cole, and to an extent letting Vanek walk were questionable moves, the word is they expect kids like davidsson and abramov to push for spots...

The right add though, the team has the pieces to make a deep run...top notch defense, and scoring....will be interesting
I think the addition of Nash is gonna do wonders. He's better than both Dubinsky and Letestu were last season and if Wennberg is healthy I think we have at least 3 really strong lines. We didn't have too much depth last season and the offense was way to dependant on Panarin. I think if he sees this season that it's not all on him to win he might change his mind.

Not sold on it, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I really like the Jackets roster, however they have some work to do to catch the teams in front of them. If they believe they can beat the teams in front of them, then you keep Panarin. You add what you can without giving too much futures and go for it. Players appreciate this kind of moves and can help them attract talent there later. However if Columbus doesnt believe they can and can get a huge haul for Panarin now, then you do that. Might be the better move because you can get a couple good entry level contracts and continue to build that young roster. Then before you know it the teams in front of you now are getting older, slower. Take advantage then. That is a beauty of being a smaller market team. You can build your team without outside pressure to win now.

That's already happening. Jackets core is mostly between the ages of 22-24. They're getting close to hitting their peak seasons. It's coming sooner than you think.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think the addition of Nash is gonna do wonders. He's better than both Dubinsky and Letestu were last season and if Wennberg is healthy I think we have at least 3 really strong lines. We didn't have too much depth last season and the offense was way to dependant on Panarin. I think if he sees this season that it's not all on him to win he might change his mind.

Not sold on it, but I wouldn't rule it out.
I'm in Boston so I'm sure I've seen more Nash than you over the last 2 years.

Let's just say that I'd be wary of a guy from 24, 25, 22, 17 to 41. He's not good at faceoffs and possession metrics haven't been good. To me he's a prime guy for a statistical correction. He may be a decent player, but I'd expect more in the 25-30 pts range than the 40.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sucks for CBJ. If Panarin would sign with MN then they could offer some very nice pieces(i.e. Nino+ Zucker), but I don't think Panarin wants to be in Minneapolis, either.

Reactions: CPTN71

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I didn't say it has no music scene. I said it's not Austin which is probably top 5 in the country. If you really want to debate that I'd be happy to do so. Just let me know.

But I don't think there is a Columbus City Limits.
Or a Midwest x Midwest festival.
Nor does Columbus bill itself as "Live Music Capital of the World" like Austin.
Nor is there a type of music known world wide as the "Columbus Sound"
Nor did you have an exodus of noncomformists that left a corporate music center arrive in Columbus and create a scene that hatched legends like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earle, Jerry Jeff Walker, and psychedelic freaks like Roky Erikson and the 13th Floor Elevators.
Nor a blues scene that spawned Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marcia Ball, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Lou Ann Barton, Doyle Bramhall, Gary Clark Jr. and others.
And other acts like Alejandro Escovedo, the Dixie Chicks, B***hole Surfers, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Eric Johnson, Hot Club of Cowtown, Charlie Sexton and one of my personal favorites: Storyville.

And you mentioned 1 festival. Austin has 2 of the biggest in the country as well as probably a dozen other pretty big music festivals.

It's not a slight to Columbus to say it doesn't compare to Austin as far as a music scene. I'm from Boston which once had one of the best music scenes in the world (sadly not any more) and I can tell you Boston isn't close to Austin.

Other than Nashville I don't think you have another city with music being so vitally important to its culture as Austin.

Yup,

I'm in the music industry myself, and I don't hear of people moving to Columbus for the music scene. Austin and Nashville, all the time, though the talent is so ubiquitous there that it's hard to break in. Odds are that the waiter serving you in a NSH/Austin restaurant is a killer guitar player/singer/player -better than you are.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yup,

I'm in the music industry myself, and I don't hear of people moving to Columbus for the music scene. Austin and Nashville, all the time, though the talent is so ubiquitous there that it's hard to break in. Odds are that the waiter serving you in a NSH/Austin restaurant is a killer guitar player/singer/player than you are.
Yeah I've played guitar for close to 35 years. Never at anything close to a pro level. We went to Memphis and Nashville last year and I convinced my wife to go to Gruhn Guitars. She was saying "It's just a regular music store, what's the big deal?" I'm trying to tell her that 59 LP goldtop on the wall, and '61 Strat aren't stuff you see at the suburban Guitar Center.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know pros that go down to Austin/NSH and get their butts kicked. Lotta talent.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Yeah but how close are those areas to Anaheim and LA? A lot of teams have other cities that are close to pull from but how many of them within 2 hours of the main city and don't have multiple teams for those fans to choose from.

Columbus has the entire state behind it(minus the Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh fans) to pull from and no other teams to pull fans away from the Jackets.

Here's the 2017 top 50View attachment 131397

California's a pretty big state, and has nearly 40 million people. The areas of Sharks/LA/Anaheim fans don't overlap the way that ANA/LA might. All of the SF Bay Area cities are at least 5 hours away from LA/ANA, so they don't factor in.

That SF/Oak/SJ stat literally just adds those 3 cities and ignores the other people living in closely surrounding areas. If you're only looking at bigger cities you're completely ignoring a great deal of people. The 9 counties that make up the SF bay area are all within 2 hours of San Jose and have 7-8 million people living in them. There are more places within 2 hours east and south of San Jose, as well, that I'm not including, and Sacramento is just outside of 2 hours away.

The way you're using your stats doesn't really show what you want it to show, I guess is my point, just using my area as an example.

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
Columbus may not breed musicians/bands, but it seems to be a very favorable stop for lots of folks.
I attribute most of that to now radio station 102.5, formerly CD 101. Many acts/performers seem to love playing in Columbus?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Quite a few acts lead back to Columbus in their roots somewhere...and solid festivals...I was of the "dont sell Columbus short" ilk, not that it is better than austin

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Do you also take into consideration that the Jackets draw viewers from Cleveland and Cinncinati since they are in the Jackets TV market and the only major professional hockey team in state. It was very wise for the FO to link Cleveland and Columbus directly....

When you take that into consideration thats well over 3M people which puts them into the top 5 in the country.

But I'm sure you'll answer with something about that's not how it really works.

I think you are overstating Columbus's draw. Sure, having the AHL team in Cleveland is advantageous, but it's still a 2.5 hour drive. I'd say its pretty likely Cleveland's NHL fans are few (The Cavaliers will obviously dominate winter TV sports coverage there) and that most hockey fans are likely a mix of other regional teams like Buffalo and Detroit.

Columbus is small market team. There's zero shame in that. Other cities like Chicago, NY, LA are going to have built in advantages because of where they are. Look to what Nashville has done with their market. If Panarin wants to live in a big city...he's not going to get that in Columbus.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I was playing as Dallas in EHM and I made this trade in the 2018 off season:
Faksa
Lindell
Tufte
2019 1st
2020 3rd

for Panarin and Dubinsky...

Pretty steep price to pay. Panarin wouldn't negotiate with me either. Real life Dallas fans would think it's too much. I'm doing decently in the season though.

Thanks for reading

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Yup,

I'm in the music industry myself, and I don't hear of people moving to Columbus for the music scene. Austin and Nashville, all the time, though the talent is so ubiquitous there that it's hard to break in. Odds are that the waiter serving you in a NSH/Austin restaurant is a killer guitar player/singer/player -better than you are.

It's certainly not Austin or Nashville as far as music goes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a good music scene. I worked in the Columbus music scene for years and made some solid money. It's a pretty good scene, and is growing pretty fast.

But yeah, it's not one of the two best music cities in the country and anyone saying it is would be lying. But, I don't think anyone is making that claim (unless I missed a post).

It reminds people of Austin for other reasons too. I'm assuming that's where this started.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Im not much of a sleeper. For a laugh though go check out the cbj prospects thread and I tried to type and fell asleep mid post woke up tried to fix it posted again asleep and didn't see it until the next day. Its a goid laugh. Again no hard feelings towards you its the other chicago fan that has gone into every Panarin thread and hasnt talked about the players at all just that Panarin is leaving because **** Columbus.
Hopefully we can get Peake tonsign this year I REALLLLLY dont want to lose him. I wanted him or Fox that year and Fox went later but thankfully we went Peake because Fox is going full 4 at Harvard and then can go wherever he wants. Hopefully Peake decides he can finish his final semester in a few years and signs to play here or the AHL. Next year we would have Nuti and the top pair signed with term and Savard is xq2k1k 1 n q 1q11

Sorry guys haha I was up for like 36 hours and was typing as I was passing out I dont even know where I going with my thoughts. The issues of being a phone poster haha.

Thank you so much for this. I've been reading the boards for a while this morning, and I can say my morning has finally been made. I can now move on with my life. Best post I've ever seen in my opinion.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I’m surprised he hasn’t been linked to Long Island. He’d pair nicely with Barzal and would help make up for losing Tavares.

He's a pending UFA and this could end up being a throw-away season. Wouldn't make sense to make a move for him now unless they worked out the contract deets beforehand. Still, they might just stick with Lee(if he's willing to stay) and save those assets for a 2C, 1-2D, and/or 1G next summer.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I think you are overstating Columbus's draw. Sure, having the AHL team in Cleveland is advantageous, but it's still a 2.5 hour drive. I'd say its pretty likely Cleveland's NHL fans are few (The Cavaliers will obviously dominate winter TV sports coverage there) and that most hockey fans are likely a mix of other regional teams like Buffalo and Detroit.

Columbus is small market team. There's zero shame in that. Other cities like Chicago, NY, LA are going to have built in advantages because of where they are. Look to what Nashville has done with their market. If Panarin wants to live in a big city...he's not going to get that in Columbus.

I work about 45 miles from Staples Center and 68 miles from Anaheim so I'm within the region of fans which could go to Kings and Ducks games. But with rush-hour traffic, it typically takes me 2 hours to get to Kings games and 3.5 hours to get to Ducks games if I try to leave at 5:30pm. I've learned if I want to go to Ducks games, I have to leave work early (by 4) to ensure I get to a 7pm start on time and not the start of the 2nd period.

My family in Cincinnati and Toledo have similar drives to go to Columbus for games but far less aggravation of traffic.

I think people overestimate the percentage of people who can go to games in major metro areas like Southern California with the traffic as bad as it is. I've had so little problems with traffic and CBJ games. It would be far easier for my dad to drive down to a CBJ game from Toledo than me go to a Ducks games.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I'm not trying to say it's competiting with cities like LA, Chicago or NYR. And I understand that it's a small market town and will be for the foreseeable future, but just from the boards alone there seems to be quite a few posters who live outside Columbus who still root and cheer for Columbus. The jackets only have to compete with the Cavs for airtime on FSO. And now that the Cavs are without LeBron their popularity is about to nosedive if it hasn't already. The Buckeyes and Jackets are the only upward trending sports teams in the state.

The dominantion of outside markets has been slowly decreasing as the Jackets have become increasingly competitive. Teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Detroit use to flood the arena on game day and last year I definitely noticed a lot less opposing jerseys in the crowd. If the Jackets become perennial contenders and can make it past the first round the state will rally behind them.

As far as Panarin is considered I've already come to terms that we most likely don't have what it will take to keep him outside of a major cup run this season.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
So I said this in another thread but a 3 way trade between LA-NJ-CBJ.

LA: Panarin
NJ: Muzzin
CBJ: Pearson, Zacha, 1st (NJ)

Add in small pieces to balance it out!

Reactions: Fro

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Not terrible for the CBJ. A lot would depend on Zacha (whom I'll admit to not knowing enough about).

tjules25

Jun 23, 2017

No deal for NJ. Giving up a former 1st round pick and a 1st round pick for a defenseman who is nearly past his prime. Would be more interested in just cutting out LA and giving zacha, 1st Rd pick, + for panarin. NJ definitely has some intriguing prospects to pull this deal off. It's only a question of if Ray wants to commit to a big money player before hall, Nico, and butcher need to get paid

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

So Jersey gives Zacha and a first for Muzzin. You've saved the day, the trade, and got Panarin!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad