Rumor: Panarin 'reluctant' to sign with Columbus long-term

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Jay Zawaski is right there with him, IMO
When he does chime in his track record is good but powers is definitely more tapped in to what's going on with all aspects of the organization. Also the only reporter who legitimately keeps up with prospects overseas

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Maybe it’s just wishful thinking but if Panarin and Kaner have been discussing his return I’d think it’s a pretty high likelihood of happening. They had great chemistry and obviously a relationship that transcended the ice and language barrier.

That said, Stan Bo’s decision to bring him home is a huge factor. Despite being able to pull it off for around 9-10 mil per he could very likely say they need a top 4 D man instead of another scorer. He probably wouldn’t be wrong either as lovely as it would be bringing Panarin back.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
After reading some of the comments today, one thing that needs to be reiterated to non Hawks fans is that Scott powers is the Blackhawks most credible reporter by a landslide
Scott Powers also wants people to pay for a subscription.

I'll believe it when I see it. Panarins agent can be throwing this up there to raise the price. Nothing drives the price up then saying a player wouldn't mind going back to where he once played and had success.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I truly don't think it's a price thing, it's already speculated by Milstein that the jackets would give Panarin pretty much whatever he wanted.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don’t think he ends up back in Chicago either, but I am almost certain it’s not money related. Guy goes home to his town of 400 people and drives tractors around.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe it’s just wishful thinking but if Panarin and Kaner have been discussing his return I’d think it’s a pretty high likelihood of happening. They had great chemistry and obviously a relationship that transcended the ice and language barrier.

That said, Stan Bo’s decision to bring him home is a huge factor. Despite being able to pull it off for around 9-10 mil per he could very likely say they need a top 4 D man instead of another scorer. He probably wouldn’t be wrong either as lovely as it would be bringing Panarin back.

They looked like pure magic together, but I'd argue that Panarin is able to deploy far more of his gifts when he's the primary puck carrier on a line, similar to Kane's role. They can't both do that on the same line. If the Hawks reacquire him they ought to give him his own line.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
They looked like pure magic together, but I'd argue that Panarin is able to deploy far more of his gifts when he's the primary puck carrier on a line, similar to Kane's role. They can't both do that on the same line. If the Hawks reacquire him they ought to give him his own line.

in a hyothetical lineup I wonder if Panarin and DeBrincat would go well together on a "3rd line" could possibly be great for Cats development to learn from Panarin

Saad-Toews-Dylan Sikura

Kahun-Schmaltz-Kane

Panarin-generic 3C-Debrincat

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Maybe Schmaltz, but not DeBrincat. Either way, I just don’t see it as being any more likely than any other destination given the logistics.

Seabrooks contract is a straight up cap killer.

No good team could trade for him and why would he waive for a bottom team?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Seabrooks contract is a straight up cap killer.

No good team could trade for him and why would he waive for a bottom team?

ignore him, the team's cap issues is more of a wet dream for him than anything in reality. Panarin can sign for 9 million and the team could still fit Schmaltz and Debrincat for 6.5 each. Rutta,Ward,Kruger,Kunitz frees 9 million on top of the 5.5 million they have already a cap rising to 82 million next year means there wont be a problem with re-signing Schmaltz meanwhile an Anisimov trade or a Murphy trade (given Jokiharju and Ian Mitchell will be looking to make the jump on RD he can already be supplanted) plus another cap rise and Manning gone means cat can also fit for 6.5, the math works out.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I read from one Finnish article that Friedmann has told in Vancouver radio show that Bowman has offered 1st 2019, Murphy and Joker for Panarin.

Anyone who listens TSN Vancouver?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Lol what a horrifyingly bad offer. That Murphy contract is a killer, especially for a team that would deploy him as the #6 D.

Potential top-5 pick even if Hawks get Panarin, potential #2D and at his worse #5D who has been in Quenneville’s dog house?

That offer is huge considering that Panarin has like 4 teams he wants to re-sign.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
This is a horrifyingly bad take.
No it isn’t. Murphy is a worse defenseman than all of Werenski, Jones, Savard, Murray, and Nutivaara. He’s got a huge cap hit for what would be a 6th defenseman on our team. Why would we want to tie up a substantial amount of cap space there at the loss of offensive firepower? The 1st would be a non-lottery pick and the prospect is good.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If he really wants to win, Chicago isn't a great choice imo. They're on the downside of this core and gave out too many stupid deals to rebuild. They're going to be hurting for a while I think.

Reactions: cslebn

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is a horrifyingly bad take.

Here's why it's a bad offer. It's bad because the players (their quality notwithstanding) returning are at a position of strength for Columbus, while they'd be trading away easily the best forward in a group that it otherwise considered of decent quality but lacking explosiveness. It just doesn't help enough where the team needs help is all. The pick is enticing of course, but suffers because of the rest of the offer.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Here's why it's a bad offer. It's bad because the players (their quality notwithstanding) returning are at a position of strength for Columbus, while they'd be trading away easily the best forward in a group that it otherwise considered of decent quality but lacking explosiveness. It just doesn't help enough where the team needs help is all. The pick is enticing of course, but suffers because of the rest of the offer.

Also, it doesn't include the only defenseman I would want from Chicago.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
in a hyothetical lineup I wonder if Panarin and DeBrincat would go well together on a "3rd line" could possibly be great for Cats development to learn from Panarin

Saad-Toews-Dylan Sikura

Kahun-Schmaltz-Kane

Panarin-generic 3C-Debrincat
Just wondering... who are the Hawks trading to get Panarin and signed? My guess is Debrincat and/or Schmaltz aren't in this theoretical lineup if they were to acquire Panarin.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I read from one Finnish article that Friedmann has told in Vancouver radio show that Bowman has offered 1st 2019, Murphy and Joker for Panarin.

Anyone who listens TSN Vancouver?
So Columbus has a very good, deep defense and is moving a top line forward for a 1st and two more defensemen? I have no issue with Murphy or Joker but unless they move Savard for a top 6 forward this would be a big fail by Jarmo in my opinion. Granted you can always flip assets to fill needs but this is not a good offer (fit wise) for Columbus. Hawks lose a good young forward or I don't think there is a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad