Rumor: Panarin 'reluctant' to sign with Columbus long-term

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
"Panarin has one season left before he can become an unrestricted free agent and while he's enjoyed his time with the Blue Jackets, the 26-year-old isn't sure that he wants to commit to spending the bulk of his remaining career with Columbus. "(Panarin’s) biggest thing is … he loves the team, he loves the coach. It’s not the team or the way they treat him. It’s about, does he want to spend the next eight years in Columbus? That’s the only thing at stake right now. If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it. But it isn’t a two-year deal. It’s gonna have to be an extended, seven- or eight-year deal put in place," Panarin's agent, Daniel Milstein, said."

Columbus' GM denies these allegations but he is expected to. This is directly from Panarin's agent - if Columbus offers a smaller contract they can contend with Panarin for a few more seasons - but it seems Artemi does not want to sign long term.

Will he sign short term and win a cup with Columbus? Or will he be traded and signed long term elsewhere?

Source: Does Artemi Panarin want to spend the next 8 years in...

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think it's saying he wants a two year contract. He doesn't. He wants a long term deal. He's saying he only wants to live in Columbus for a maximum of two years.

Columbus basically has two options. Trade him or make a run at the cup. Jarmo seems like he has a lot of balls so I wouldn't be surprised if he went for option B.

If he wants to trade him Washington can offer Burakovsky, a prospect and a pick.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I don't think it's saying he wants a two year contract. He doesn't. He wants a long term deal. He's saying he only wants to live in Columbus for a maximum of two years.

Columbus basically has two options. Trade him or make a run at the cup. Jarmo seems like he has a lot of balls so I wouldn't be surprised if he went for option B.

If he wants to trade him Washington can offer Burakovsky, a prospect and a pick.
only problem is option B means losing him for nothing (unless they somehow were close to missing the playoffs the final year and they flipped him at the TDL)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

That would be the incorrect option. Beating Washington twice then getting freight trained isnt a good indicator of future success.

Reactions: MikeyMike01 and BHD

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Columbus seems like one of those teams that should be more successful than they are. Good young d core, vezzy calible goalie, and the horrible c depth they had is being fixed by Dubois and Wennberg. The offensive depth is suspect but the d and goalie alone should get them to at least the second round. Maybe they are in for a Washington like run after choking in the playoffs. I think Jarmo should trade futures and invest in winning now. More offensive depth should make them at least a threat in the East.

Reactions: shello

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I don't feel bad for Columbus at all Panarin sees there is no winning there so why should he stay

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
And all the Columbus fans take a hit after just a few days ago selling Columbus as a great city.

Columbus is absolutely boring

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I wonder if he'd go to NJ - Hoboken and NYC are right next to each other

depends if he just wants to live near a big city or play in one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad