Rumor: Panarin 'reluctant' to sign with Columbus long-term

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Do you also take into consideration that the Jackets draw viewers from Cleveland and Cinncinati since they are in the Jackets TV market and the only major professional hockey team in state. It was very wise for the FO to link Cleveland and Columbus directly....

When you take that into consideration thats well over 3M people which puts them into the top 5 in the country.

But I'm sure you'll answer with something about that's not how it really works.

Reactions: mikeyp24

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
When you take that into consideration thats well over 3M people which puts them into the top 5 in the country.

Who's ahead of that?

Just wondering, because other places can combine surrounding areas to have large amounts of people, as well. For example, San Jose's population is about 1 million, but the population of the SF Bay Area is over 7 million.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Who's ahead of that?

Just wondering, because other places can combine surrounding areas to have large amounts of people, as well. For example, San Jose's population is about 1 million, but the population of the SF Bay Area is over 7 million.
Yeah but how close are those areas to Anaheim and LA? A lot of teams have other cities that are close to pull from but how many of them within 2 hours of the main city and don't have multiple teams for those fans to choose from.

Columbus has the entire state behind it(minus the Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh fans) to pull from and no other teams to pull fans away from the Jackets.

Here's the 2017 top 50
Screenshot_20180722-180444_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Do you also take into consideration that the Jackets draw viewers from Cleveland and Cinncinati since they are in the Jackets TV market and the only major professional hockey team in state. It was very wise for the FO to link Cleveland and Columbus directly....

But I'm sure you'll answer with something about that's not how it really works.

Don't forget about the Dayton area which is an hour (or less) from Columbus.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I’m surprised he hasn’t been linked to Long Island. He’d pair nicely with Barzal and would help make up for losing Tavares.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A business that is televised chooses geotargets where to expand based on broadcast market size? Tell me more.... that’s amazing

and you know you’re triggered when you start getting into spelling errors
Lol youre the one spinning in circles putting lipstick on the pig that is Columbus, not me

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Lol youre the one spinning in circles putting lipstick on the pig that is Columbus, not me

Shame someone so “smart” bringing in all these “facts” struggles so mightily to comprehend that others can have unlike opinions....

I just recently chose to move back to Columbus from Tampa (and over Chicago). I like Columbus (in regards to best place to live) more than the other 2. Crazy

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yes, I am. How does it better show population size?
Because households and not family size, is a better index of market desirability. If you're a family of 6 it's skews population data which the government has acknowldeged. New home building is also a major factor of economic growth. Population growth in city proper is flawed because it factors in kids. You want and need to track households and not population

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So because I said the city is biggest talking about population you argue that its weong because it tracks population? And you argue a city is bigger based on TV markets? What...??? Seriously...

Wait let me argue like him hur dur hur dur your city smells ELOHEL

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I’m surprised he hasn’t been linked to Long Island. He’d pair nicely with Barzal and would help make up for losing Tavares.
Wahlstrom on the table!?! We can make a deal for signed Panarin and make Barzal look better then JT ever did.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty obvious Panarin isn't signing long-term in Columbus....Jackets have basically only two choice--deal him now, or wait until the trade deadline and hope some team will overpay for him as a rental. Not an ideal situation. But if a guy is determined to go to free agency, there's not much you can do.

I wonder how Panarin will fare with Torts for an entire season next year, given that he's hardly bleeding Columbus blue.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Pretty obvious Panarin isn't signing long-term in Columbus....Jackets have basically only two choice--deal him now, or wait until the trade deadline and hope some team will overpay for him as a rental. Not an ideal situation. But if a guy is determined to go to free agency, there's not much you can do.

I wonder how Panarin will fare with Torts for an entire season next year, given that he's hardly bleeding Columbus blue.

3rd option is treating him as a rental themselves and trying to make a deep run...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Because households and not family size, is a better index of market desirability. If you're a family of 6 it's skews population data which the government has acknowldeged. New home building is also a major factor of economic growth. Population growth in city proper is flawed because it factors in kids. You want and need to track households and not population

So, it isn't better when it comes to showing the actual population which is what was being discussed. Thanks.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
3rd option is treating him as a rental themselves and trying to make a deep run...

Yeah. That is why the price should be high no matter what. Columbus keeping Panarin and going to the playoffs is more valuable than a low 1st round pick and a prospect.

Reactions: CBJFan827

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I really like the Jackets roster, however they have some work to do to catch the teams in front of them. If they believe they can beat the teams in front of them, then you keep Panarin. You add what you can without giving too much futures and go for it. Players appreciate this kind of moves and can help them attract talent there later. However if Columbus doesnt believe they can and can get a huge haul for Panarin now, then you do that. Might be the better move because you can get a couple good entry level contracts and continue to build that young roster. Then before you know it the teams in front of you now are getting older, slower. Take advantage then. That is a beauty of being a smaller market team. You can build your team without outside pressure to win now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad