Rumor: Panarin 'reluctant' to sign with Columbus long-term

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks would be stupid to trade for him unless it's a deal. We're not competing this year. Our defense is meh (with some good prospects on the way, but certainly won't make a huge impact this year) and our starter has a whole lotta question marks in terms of his health and his ability to actually play this season.

We're better off keeping our assets and hoping that we land a high draft pick (Jack Hughes, baby!) and try to sign Panarin next summer. We should have the cap space at that point as long as the cap continues to creep up and we can get rid of a few small pieces (like Murphy and Manning).

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I didn't say it has no music scene. I said it's not Austin which is probably top 5 in the country. If you really want to debate that I'd be happy to do so. Just let me know.

But I don't think there is a Columbus City Limits.
Or a Midwest x Midwest festival.
Nor does Columbus bill itself as "Live Music Capital of the World" like Austin.
Nor is there a type of music known world wide as the "Columbus Sound"
Nor did you have an exodus of noncomformists that left a corporate music center arrive in Columbus and create a scene that hatched legends like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earle, Jerry Jeff Walker, and psychedelic freaks like Roky Erikson and the 13th Floor Elevators.
Nor a blues scene that spawned Stevie Ray Vaughan, Marcia Ball, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Lou Ann Barton, Doyle Bramhall, Gary Clark Jr. and others.
And other acts like Alejandro Escovedo, the Dixie Chicks, B***hole Surfers, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Eric Johnson, Hot Club of Cowtown, Charlie Sexton and one of my personal favorites: Storyville.

And you mentioned 1 festival. Austin has 2 of the biggest in the country as well as probably a dozen other pretty big music festivals.

It's not a slight to Columbus to say it doesn't compare to Austin as far as a music scene. I'm from Boston which once had one of the best music scenes in the world (sadly not any more) and I can tell you Boston isn't close to Austin.

Other than Nashville I don't think you have another city with music being so vitally important to its culture as Austin.

Did an actual NHL team move to Austin? If not, then any player can live there in the off-season but not in-season.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Just wondering... who are the Hawks trading to get Panarin and signed? My guess is Debrincat and/or Schmaltz aren't in this theoretical lineup if they were to acquire Panarin.

Your guess is pretty off tbh

They sign him in FA over trading assets for him.

2019-20 they have over 14 million in cap with the 5.5 they already have plus Rutta, Ward, Kruger, Kunitz off the books

Factor in a moderate cap increase say 82 million that gives them roughly 17 million

Schmaltz can sign for 6.5 (probably a over estimation but that’s even better) and bread can sign for 9.

Manning gone and likely one of Murphy/Anisimov moved and that’s took for schmaltz. Murphy being moved would make the most sense long term due to Ian Mitchell, and Jokiharju being NHL ready soon on the right side

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Did an actual NHL team move to Austin? If not, then any player can live there in the off-season but not in-season.
Did I say Austin had a hockey team? Try to follow the actual conversation and not just rush in to respond to a point that nobody was making.

HINT: It was a Columbus fan who brought the city of Austin into the discussion. If you think that's inappropriate, take it up with him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm going to be pretty bitter if the Hawks and Pens just keep focusing on now and avoiding the future only to completely crap out when their current stars fade, nab top picks in great drafts again and start the cycle over.

Having said that, I'm 99% certain that's exactly whats going to happen.

Hawks are going to bring Bread home and draft Gentleman Jack Hughes, so be prepared to get pissed.

Panarin-Hughes-Kane
Saad-Toews-Hayden
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Sikura

f*** the D. We eatin...

Reactions: wahsnairb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->