Panarin coming home?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I would take Panarin any team that signs Karlsson long term to big money is going to regret it
I would take Panarin over Karlsson as well. First Panarin would come a couple of mil cheaper and more importantly second Karlsson is 28 and has had two major issues with his feet ( achilles and ankle ). Karlsson is an amazing player and an equally amazing locker room leader etc but there would be a substantial gamble involved with signing him long term. But please wait till next year to sign the breadman Stan as it would be to steep a price to lose Schmaltz or Debrincat in my eyes ... unless they would like Saader back!

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Panarin was really good in the POs. No clue what you are talking about.

We've been through this before. In this case, the numbers don't lie but as I said there's a chance that AP was hurt sometime in the series.

The last thing Chicago needs is another overpaid player who has flashes of brilliance and who has yet to prove himself in the postseason. If you're going to open the vault look for defensive help first. Unless of course McD/Rocky would rather be more entertaining than competitive.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
We've been through this before. In this case, the numbers don't lie but as I said there's a chance that AP was hurt sometime in the series.

The last thing Chicago needs is another overpaid player who has flashes of brilliance and who has yet to prove himself in the postseason. If you're going to open the vault look for defensive help first. Unless of course McD/Rocky would rather be more entertaining than competitive.
I see understand your concerns ... but I'm one of those willing to roll the dice on Panarin for $8-9mn per. What other forwards are available next year?

That said, if Karlsson is available at $10-$11mn per year, I want him. If he becomes a Hawk, I will fly to Stockholm and pledge allegiance to the Church of Karlsson.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Is Trouba still unsigned? I'd go for him ahead of Karlsson, just because of the health concerns and of course he'd come quite a bit cheaper.
Understood, but it's Erik Karlsson. If his health checks out, he's a generational talent. We'll never have to throw the remote at the TV because of the power play again.

Of course, the Hawks did load up on fast skilled DMen in recent drafts. There is a question of roster management. That's why I think that the Hawks might opt to sign an elite forward.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Understood, but it's Erik Karlsson. If his health checks out, he's a generational talent. We'll never have to throw the remote at the TV because of the power play again.

Of course, the Hawks did load up on fast skilled DMen in recent drafts. There is a question of roster management. That's why I think that the Hawks might opt to sign an elite forward.

You can always trade the defensive prospects for forwards as D have higher value.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

The eye test said that Panarin has been very visible in the POs... every time he was on the ice it felt like something will happen.

Reactions: TLEH and migi

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
A good start would be thinking in the now with one eye on the future. Not the other way around.

There's a lot of dreaming going on around here about prospects and their potential, but when will that potential come to fruition? When Keith and Crawford are in their late 30's, Toews and Kane in their mid 30's?

I wonder how much playing under a different coach other than Quenneville made in the progression of The Breadman's game?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The eye test said that Panarin has been very visible in the POs... every time he was on the ice it felt like something will happen.

"felt like". I see. Is that the same as "potential".

It may have felt like something would happen but it didn't. Caps shut him down, the same as AP was shut down when he was playing for Chicago in the playoffs.

I'm not saying AP is not capable of stepping up in the playoffs. I am saying that to date he hasn't shown he can.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Which way? Some say he was great in the post season for CBus ... others say he's actually been awful in the playoffs for his entire NHL career.
That he’s a playoff no show.

He was good in his first series versus the Blues, was a PPG. Literally no one on the team was good in his second series so I’ll give him a pass on that 4 game sample size where it looked like the two teams were playing different sports. And yeah he diddnt have a point in his last 3 against the caps but he was still OVER a PPG with a GWG (that was a absolute beautiful OT goal on an individual effort). I don’t know how you can say that’s getting shut down in a series? Patrick Kane has had multiple 3 game scoring droughts in the playoffs ... and even one in a year he won the Conn Smythe. And he’s considered one of the better playoff performers of the generation. That happens sometimes when teams are using their best resources to limit the amount of times you touch the puck.

I got to see a good amount of that series against the Caps and Panarin was always dangerous with the puck.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We all know Kaner has been great at times in the playoffs and a few times not so great but the team's record (3 SC's in 8 years) erases pretty much any of the inconsistencies in his performances over the years.

Bottom line is Hawks need help on defense first and foremost. Re-acquiring Panarin will put a huge dent in cap space available thus seriously compromise Hawks ability to shore up their main weakness, defense.

If it is entertainment one values, then Panarin would provide that. He and Kane can work the perimeter and play globetrotter-like hockey with the best of them.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We all know Kaner has been great at times in the playoffs and a few times not so great but the team's record (3 SC's in 8 years) erases pretty much any of the inconsistencies in his performances over the years.

Bottom line is Hawks need help on defense first and foremost. Re-acquiring Panarin will put a huge dent in cap space available thus seriously compromise Hawks ability to shore up their main weakness, defense.

If it is entertainment one values, then Panarin would provide that. He and Kane can work the perimeter and play globetrotter-like hockey with the best of them.

I agree (with the bold). Do you wait for the pipeline to fill that need or do you make a move to partially fill the need and fill the rest with the prospects then move others to get offensive help?

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Agreed. I thought he looked great in the PO’s this year.
Although he struggled against the Predators, Panarin did really well against a very good defensive team these playoffs. I thought he really showed a lot of grit that might have been lacking in 2017. I don't remember how Panarin did against the Blues.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I doubt very much that Panarin comes back until at least next year. He doesn't fill the void of a 2nd line center or a top 4 defense man and what they Hawks would have to trade right now to get him would weaken the team even more. The ideal time to get Panarin back is when he becomes a free agent next year.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I doubt very much that Panarin comes back until at least next year. He doesn't fill the void of a 2nd line center or a top 4 defense man and what they Hawks would have to trade right now to get him would weaken the team even more. The ideal time to get Panarin back is when he becomes a free agent next year.
How much cap space do the Hawks even have this year? Wasn't a lot of it used up already?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

We need a 2nd line center?

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Trade Murphy+ for Oscar Lindblom out of Philadelphia.
Buyout Seabrook.
Sign Panarin 9.5M x 7

Panarin - Anisimov - Kane
Lindblom - Toews - Debrincat
Saad - Schmaltz - Sikura
Kahun - Kampf - Hayden
Edjsell
Highmore

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Rutta
Manning - Mitchell
Hillman

Crawford
Delia

Shaky looking defense, but with 3 lethal forward lines + Crawford - it should hold up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad