Panarin coming home?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Karlsson & Seguin will make no less than 10.5M
Panarin MIGHT take a discount here at 9.5M

In the grand scheme of things, we don't need any of them. We need overall depth...

I think we can be a contender in 2021-22, as long we make good draft picks, and the D develops properly

Saad - Schmaltz - Kane
Debrincat - Toews - ____
_____ - Wise - Sikura
_____ - Soderlund - Hayden
Kampf/Kahun

Forsling - Jokiharju
Keith - Mitchell
Hjalmarsson - Boqvist
Beaudin
Carlsson
Seabrook

_____
Crawford
You think Panarin is offered $9.5mn? That's a lot of money. Getting rid of Seabrook and trading Anisimov would cover it.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I would welcome back breadman with open arms. I miss him tremendously on this team. I just don't know if that's best for long term growth.

Cat and Shmaltz (and maybe even Sikura) are still young enough and promising enough to not spend the big bucks it would cost to get Panarin back. We are in a position to utilize cheap talent while we can... And there's no way we can continue with that method with what Panarin would ask in fa

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I had a dream that Keith was traded for Panarin

You need better dreams :laugh:

If you're going to dream - try this:

The Hawks miss the playoffs in 2018/19 and win the draft lottery and select Jack Hughes.
Stan somehow manages to trade Seabrook (details are sealed) and Anisimov.
Panarin signs with the Hawks for something manageable.
Boqvist burns it up in London and is ready to start his NHL career.
Shalunov signs with the Hawks.
Sikura comes in 3rd in Calder voting with 62 points.
Kahun and Ejdsell have good rookie seasons and are solid depth players.
And last but not least - Crawford returns to form and is good as ever.

Saad-Toews-Sikura
Panarin-Hughes-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Shalunov
Ejdsell-Kahun-Hayden

Keith-Boqvist
Forsling-Jokiharju
Hillman-Murphy

Crawford

Don't wake me up ... I'm planning the parade. :)

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Also not sure if Panarin would come back, I recall reading an interview where he was 'embarrassed' about being traded.

Don't quote me on this, I might be wrong.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
You need better dreams :laugh:

If you're going to dream - try this:

The Hawks miss the playoffs in 2018/19 and win the draft lottery and select Jack Hughes.
Stan somehow manages to trade Seabrook (details are sealed) and Anisimov.
Panarin signs with the Hawks for something manageable.
Boqvist burns it up in London and is ready to start his NHL career.
Shalunov signs with the Hawks.
Sikura comes in 3rd in Calder voting with 62 points.
Kahun and Ejdsell have good rookie seasons and are solid depth players.
And last but not least - Crawford returns to form and is good as ever.

Saad-Toews-Sikura
Panarin-Hughes-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Shalunov
Ejdsell-Kahun-Hayden

Keith-Boqvist
Forsling-Jokiharju
Hillman-Murphy

Crawford

Don't wake me up ... I'm planning the parade. :)

I love this dream! Every last detail of it! And yes .. the parade would be a given!!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If Panarin has another similar year to the ones he's had, I have zero doubt in my mind that he's going to get a $9Mish deal. I would love to have him back, but I just don't think we can afford him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If Panarin has another similar year to the ones he's had, I have zero doubt in my mind that he's going to get a $9Mish deal. I would love to have him back, but I just don't think we can afford him.
Agreed. As hard as it is to say, I don't think I'd want him for that price, even though that would be fair money.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Only way that happens is if Keith comes down with an infestation of the hesphaestan rectal mites and quasi-retires. No way Stan's trading a live recapture contract.

Come on now, don’t put anything past Stan the Man, you are not giving him enough credit, he’s not afraid to make any trade, he has surprised us quite a few times with awesome trades that have the team in the amazing position it is in now!

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Come on now, don’t put anything past Stan the Man, you are not giving him enough credit, he’s not afraid to make any trade, he has surprised us quite a few times with awesome trades that have the team in the amazing position it is in now!
There is no GM out there that will trade a recapture risk deal without the recapture risk player being "Retired" see also: Pronger, Horton, Hossa.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There is no GM out there that will trade a recapture risk deal without the recapture risk player being "Retired" see also: Pronger, Horton, Hossa.
Piole did but because it was a stupid good return. If Weber does normally retire Nash will be in trouble but that wont happen non injury wise for a bit still and Nash is all in currently.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Piole did but because it was a stupid good return. If Weber does normally retire Nash will be in trouble but that wont happen non injury wise for a bit still and Nash is all in currently.
I stand corrected.

I don't think Bowman trades out a live recapture deal though. Unlike Nash we're not in a position to where a single good move like Weber<->Subban can put us over the top. Keith <-> Panarin definitely won't--not that Panarin's not great but there are far too many holes on this team. Nashville made that trade where they could claim "win now pay later". We're at "pay later" at this moment in time--right now is "later".

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
9M-9.5M for Panarin would be perfect price to land a top 10 winger during his prime years

It would be tough for Hawks going forward but a future with 9M-9.5M Panarin is still brighter future then no Panarin despite cap crunches it could create which would be all to blame on the god awful Seabrook deal and disappointing Toews deal (A deal which looks worse as each year goes past and Toews fails to live up to it)

Toews deal still is easier pill to swallow then Seabrook because at least Toews still brings positive contributions even at his diminished performance

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
9M-9.5M for Panarin would be perfect price to land a top 10 winger during his prime years

It would be tough for Hawks going forward but a future with 9M-9.5M Panarin is still brighter future then no Panarin despite cap crunches
it could create which would be all to blame on the god awful Seabrook deal and disappointing Toews deal (A deal which looks worse as each year goes past and Toews fails to live up to it)

Toews deal still is easier pill to swallow then Seabrook because at least Toews still brings positive contributions even at his diminished performance

No thank-you. Unless of course, it is strictly to make the team more entertaining albeit uncompetitive ..... and Hawks don't mind waiting the 4 or 5 years it will take for their defensive prospects to mature.

I'd much rather overpay a decent defenseman who can play top 4 and who does not play small. It's not nearly as sexy as re-acquiring AP but it is a necessity as far as I am concerned.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No thank-you. Unless of course, it is strictly to make the team more entertaining albeit uncompetitive ..... and Hawks don't mind waiting the 4 or 5 years it will take for their defensive prospects to mature.

I'd much rather overpay a decent defenseman who can play top 4 and who does not play small. It's not nearly as sexy as re-acquiring AP but it is a necessity as far as I am concerned.

Agreed but who would that be? Karlsson, Gardiner, Ellis, Myers. Those are the only guys that have a chance to be out there. And if we are spending big money on a D, it should be a LD. I think down the line they will trade a RD prospect or 2 in a package for a young LD.

If we spend big money next offseason and it’s not on Seguin, we should target Bobrovsky. We’re going to need a good goaltender while we ease in our D prospects.

However, if they can get out of the Crawford contract, there should be enough for 2 major acquisitions. So ideally someone will emerge in net this year and we’ll have options.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Agreed but who would that be? Karlsson, Gardiner, Ellis, Myers. Those are the only guys that have a chance to be out there. And if we are spending big money on a D, it should be a LD. I think down the line they will trade a RD prospect or 2 in a package for a young LD.

If we spend big money next offseason and it’s not on Seguin, we should target Bobrovsky. We’re going to need a good goaltender while we ease in our D prospects.

However, if they can get out of the Crawford contract, there should be enough for 2 major acquisitions. So ideally someone will emerge in net this year and we’ll have options.

Did Jets sign Trouba after the arbitration number was announced? I imagine that he wants out of Winnipeg, sooner rather than later. He's the player I would target.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trouba wants too much $$$ and isn't worth what he will get

Also he has only played more then 65 games in one of his 5 NHL seasons which is major concern when giving him a longterm deal

These past 2 years he has only played in 60 and 55 games

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Did Jets sign Trouba after the arbitration number was announced? I imagine that he wants out of Winnipeg, sooner rather than later. He's the player I would target.

All depends on his cost. Trouba has a lot of talent but has not been able to stay healthy. He would look damn good next to all of our PMD we have coming up.

I am not sure if it was signed but I believe that is his number no matter what at this point (I could be wrong).

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yes, Trouba wants too much money but so does Panarin and by all accounts, he will demand more by as much as $ 2 M+. Past injuries are also a concern but beggars can't be choosers.

I know I'd rather have a healthy, overpaid top 4 Dman who plays with some physicality then a flashy winger who will probably fill seats and help with a diminishing TV audience. I wonder how McD feels? I don't think I want to know.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Problem with Trouba is, he will cost assets to acquire (a lot of assets), and then a long term deal on top of that. Panarin *just* requires money.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Trouba would be a good addition given his age and the Jets can only accept picks and prospects given their cap situation so they make good trade partners. Plus, he has played both sides in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->