Panarin coming home?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes I know but he is much better and much more suited on the wing.

Actually his skill set is better at center minus his sub-par faceoff skills in my opinion. His puck retrieval and best utilized in a role that puts him all over the ice.

Can he be a really good wing? 100% but I would rather have him playing center with Kane and or Debrincat as his speed will create even more space for each.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
"felt like". I see. Is that the same as "potential".

It may have felt like something would happen but it didn't. Caps shut him down, the same as AP was shut down when he was playing for Chicago in the playoffs.

I'm not saying AP is not capable of stepping up in the playoffs. I am saying that to date he hasn't shown he can.
He was their best forward. Not much more to say. You don't like those small not physical euros and that's fine, you don't have to. It's just plain and simple wrong to downplay him because of it. Panarin was really good in the POs.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Oh and give me Panarin over Karlsson. Karlsson at 12/13 million and his injury history just scare the hell out of me. Compared to 9-10 million for a younger Panarin without that injury Karlsson has had.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Actually his skill set is better at center minus his sub-par faceoff skills in my opinion. His puck retrieval and best utilized in a role that puts him all over the ice.

Can he be a really good wing? 100% but I would rather have him playing center with Kane and or Debrincat as his speed will create even more space for each.

I agree with this. His FO % needs work but I think if he improves there he’s a perfect fit for center. **** if he gets those FO numbers up he should be the #1 C. Otherwise for now just keep sticking him on O zone faceoffs so they don’t get pinned in their own end.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sure, he can come home if he's willing to keep his current salary, lol.

If he wants 9+ million, no chance. The team isnt tying up 30mil+ in 3 players.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

If Panarin has another year like last year 9M+ is fair and would be fine for Hawks to give him

He will be playing thru prime years wherever he signs

Also it is Seabrook deal that will and is handcuffing team right now. Toews even with how disappointing he is still is a top 6 player

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

What makes you think that? How much money did the Hawks have tied up between Toews, Kane, Saad, Seabrook, and Crow? That's 5 players at $39mn. Let's not forget to add Hossa and Keith at another $11mn. We can also add Anisimov at $4mn+.

That's $54mn last year for 8 players ... at a salary cap of $78mn.

Historically, Stan's had no problems being top heavy relative to salary distribution.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
What makes you think that? How much money did the Hawks have tied up between Toews, Kane, Saad, Seabrook, and Crow? That's 5 players at $39mn. Let's not forget to add Hossa and Keith at another $11mn. We can also add Anisimov at $4mn+.

Historically, Stan's had no problems being top heavy relative to salary distribution.
Hossa was traded

Other than that I agree with you. Can create the Cap Space if it is really needed.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It’s possible Seguin, Karlsson and Panarin all hit UFA next year. Stan is playing this right. We’ll know if EK is back to form and can negotiate with all three to figure out what works best for us.

Seguin would be ideal. Imagine a first line of Schmaltz-Seguin-Kane.

If EK is healthy, he’d be the next choice for me. Yeah, he is a RHS and we have a lot of them, but then you open the door to trading D prospects, which is the most valuable currency. Could help us get a C, new goalie, whatever else we need.

And we already know what Bread Man brings, would be great to come away with him.

Plus, we don’t know what will happen with the development of the prospects over the next year and the upcoming draft. If we end up with Hughes or some stud NHL ready LW, it will definitely impact which of the 3 we would prefer to sign.

Keep that powder dry. Could be some cap purge trades to jump on too, we’re in a great spot, just one more year of suffering and we’ll be on a strong upswing for another 8-10 years.

Reactions: migi

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hossa was traded

Other than that I agree with you. Can create the Cap Space if it is really needed.
I was referring to Stan's history of skewing his salary distribution heavily towards the top.

Honestly, I don't disagree with Stan's strategy ... but he can do better by not bidding against himself.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

If Anisimov is included, so should Connor Murphy's 4+ mil.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Oh, I'm all in favor of a top-heavy salary structure, where you pay stars big bucks and fill in the gaps with cheaper, younger players. I just think 3 players at 30 million crosses the line into unworkable territory. You're leaving yourself too little money to fill out the roster.

If the salary cap were 100 million, sure, give 3 players 30million. You'd still have enough room to provide impact players at the remaining key positions.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Oh, I'm all in favor of a top-heavy salary structure, where you pay stars big bucks and fill in the gaps with cheaper, younger players. I just think 3 players at 30 million crosses the line into unworkable territory. You're leaving yourself too little money to fill out the roster.

If the salary cap were 100 million, sure, give 3 players 30million. You'd still have enough room to provide impact players at the remaining key positions.
Weeks ago you seemed to think they need to go all in or full blown rebuild.

That's what going all in would be. Finding a couple 4.5 mil types to got 9 mil isnt some likely better fit.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

That's what going all in would be. Finding a couple 4.5 mil types to got 9 mil isnt some likely better fit.

Adding Panarin for 9.5mil does not in any way make this team a contender. Our offense is not the problem.

I wanted this team to go all in and use their picks to bring in a legit top pairing dman. And the only one I wanted to pay big-time money for was Karlsson. When OEL got 8mil, I said that was more than I would be comfortable paying him given his recent decline.

Having 30mil tied up in a 1C, a 1RW and a 1D (arguably the best D in the league) is a bit different than having it tied up in a C and 2 wingers.

And frankly even that wouldn't have worked without moving out another contract like AA and trying to use that money to slot in more useable pieces around the 1-mil mark.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
While I really like Panarin, I think defense has to be the priority in any big money free agent signing, if there is one coming.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I'm think all situations are unique. IF Karlsson ends up on your lap for $10-11mn, the Hawks need to pull the trigger. Because we know how Panarin works with Kane, signing him for $8-9mn could work too.

I don't think there's a clear blueprint / strategy EXCEPT figuring out a way to get rid of Seabrook's contract. I said something about a finding an overdosed dead prostitute in bed ... but that would be way too unethical. :)

Godfather II anyone?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm think all situations are unique. IF Karlsson ends up on your lap for $10-11mn, the Hawks need to pull the trigger. Because we know how Panarin works with Kane, signing him for $8-9mn could work too.

I don't think there's a clear blueprint / strategy EXCEPT figuring out a way to get rid of Seabrook's contract. I said something about a finding an overdosed dead prostitute in bed ... but that would be way too unethical. :)

Godfather II anyone?

My favorite of the two. (I don't count III as actually existing)

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Karlsson & Seguin will make no less than 10.5M
Panarin MIGHT take a discount here at 9.5M

In the grand scheme of things, we don't need any of them. We need overall depth...

I think we can be a contender in 2021-22, as long we make good draft picks, and the D develops properly

Saad - Schmaltz - Kane
Debrincat - Toews - ____
_____ - Wise - Sikura
_____ - Soderlund - Hayden
Kampf/Kahun

Forsling - Jokiharju
Keith - Mitchell
Hjalmarsson - Boqvist
Beaudin
Carlsson
Seabrook

_____