Panarin coming home?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If the plan is to bring back Panarin I’m giving Saad lots of minutes in our top six. Have him rebound with a 55ish point season and flip him for assets.

If plan is to bring back Panarin the Hawks need to find way to do it now before season and then get extension done

And I am willing to pay a hefty future price to get Panarin back (+ AA would need to go so we can open up more cap room going forward for likely Debrincat/Schmaltz extensions)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If plan is to bring back Panarin the Hawks need to find way to do it now before season and then get extension done

And I am willing to pay a hefty future price to get Panarin back (+ AA would need to go so we can open up more cap room going forward for likely Debrincat/Schmaltz extensions)

Why?

If he has his mind made up and wants to re-sign in Chicago, he’s going to do it next offseason. If you think he may choose elsewhere next offseason as a UFA, then you have to be worried he’ll walk after the Hawks trade for him.

The risk reward factor is just too high in giving up assets for him, unless you feel he makes this team a contender this year. Then I can see your argument.

Otherwise, if he wants to return then he will return without the Hawks needing to give up anything.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why?

If he has his mind made up and wants to re-sign in Chicago, he’s going to do it next offseason. If you think he may choose elsewhere next offseason as a UFA, then you have to be worried he’ll walk after the Hawks trade for him.

The risk reward factor is just too high in giving up assets for him, unless you feel he makes this team a contender this year. Then I can see your argument.

Otherwise, if he wants to return then he will return without the Hawks needing to give up anything.

His mind isn't made up and letting him go to UFA is not good especially with other viable suitors of interest. No source has claimed he wants to exclusively return to Chicago

And I do think Hawks adding Panarin to Kane , Saad , Toews , Debrincat and Schmaltz has potential to provide team an amazing top 6 that could overcome some of our other issues

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
His mind isn't made up and letting him go to UFA is not good especially with other viable suitors of interest. No source has claimed he wants to exclusively return to Chicago

And I do think Hawks adding Panarin to Kane , Saad , Toews , Debrincat and Schmaltz has potential to provide team an amazing top 6 that could overcome some of our other issues

I get that, it honestly depends on the price Columbus asks for. I’d imagine they try to start every conversation with DeBrincat, Boqvist, or Jokijaru. I’d rather battle it out against other teams in free agency and keep all those guys.

If Columbus’ price is less than that, like some combo of Murphy and Anisimov with other small pieces, then I’m with you.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Would you rather?

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak or Panarin-Toews-Saad?

For as dominant and praise-heaped as Boston’s top line has been over the last few years, I feel like Panarin-Toews-Saad would be even better.

After playing away from Kane for a year now, Panarin could be better suited mentally to handle the pressure and expectations of playing on a Toews line.

Also, Chicago overall would be better. I don’t know if Boston can claim depth scoring anywhere near what Kane, DeBrincat, and Schmaltz would provide.

The defense is obviously the snag. Our McAvoy may be coming in Boqvist, but that could be a few years away.

EDIT: I didn’t realize Panarin finished top-10 among forwards in the NHL in Corsi. He, Toews, and Saad all finished in the top-15 in the league in corsi. That line could be an absolutely dominating possession hammer line.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I swear, if that happened, you would immediately rip Stanley for giving up assets for a guy who was going to be a UFA. I can't prove it, but I know this to be true.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I agree that the top6 listed below would let the team overcome some of the growing pains that our young D will experience.

72-19-20
12-8-88

72-8-88 would be Q's nuclear option.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I agree that the top6 listed below would let the team overcome some of the growing pains that our young D will experience.

72-19-20
12-8-88

72-8-88 would be Q's nuclear option.

As an opponent, where do you focus your top shutdown unit? Both those lines look dangerous on paper

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As an opponent, where do you focus your top shutdown unit? Both those lines look dangerous on paper

Depends on the makeup of your team. Boston? You throw the Bergy line at the Kane line. Pitt? Crosby against the Schmaltz line as his line tends to grind more than Malkin. Others? All depends on the roster makeup.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
We all know that if Panasonic was back with Kane they d9 not need a 2C on the line. .any "just another guy can play at 2C with them and if he just stays our out the way and checks he does not need to put up the numbers a 2C should ..but he will pick up points anyway by just going along for the ride with them...Schatz has yet to prove he can win draws or check anything in his own zone ..he seems to check better in neutral ice and in thebo-zone forechevk but is hardly a Selke candidatevi his own zone..So not sure if he can be a "natural" 2 way C ..and if he is only a 1-way C then I do not think you can have a guy in the middle getting in the way of Panarin-Kanw chemistry...rather you NEED a defensively great C to help them defend their own zone.So OF we bring back Panarin so who ,no way Saltz is the answer ..maybe Toes is ...the former Toes of the glory years who had energy and work effort...not the Country Club version we saw the last 3 seasons,slower and without much energy to pursue the pucks in both o-zone and d-zone with regularity but rather now simply watches the play or is 8neffective in directing the game anymore.That new Toes probably cannot provide the defensive cover for Panarin-Kanw show.

So even IF we bring back Panarin, we still have a misfit of the proper 2C player they really NEED to make VT he line not give up as many as they get ..

As to fixing the D...do we really need the kids to star or rather do we need Keith and Seabrook to if not get back to their nest years,at least not be totally incompetent out there ...I do not think any of our kids could be as horrible as Keith was last season..So searching for some magic vet help to fix our D woes is Not the real issue. .the play of 2 and 7 is a far far far greater concern for our D. .for if they stink again or go even worse ,then no addition to our D-corps,vet or kids,will help much...rather it is up to both Keith and Seabrook to look in the mirror and improve themselves to a semblance of competency ...the leaders on D ,cannot be the worst of our D ...else they are albatross weights and we are doomed no matter wherever else we tinker with the roster. 2 and 7 are the biggest black holes along with goaltending if VC is not back or not in top for if he gets back ...So bringing back Panarin to only be doomed anyway males no sense ...Better we should be in the hunt for top 5 talent from the 2019 and 2020 drafts and get on with our after the window re-biild.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the funny thing is all the Columbus fans on the trade board saying no thanks to the fake trade post from yesterday - and we as Hawks fans say no thanks to moving those assets out for Panarin as well..pretty funny stuff. Columbus doesn't need defense so I see why they wouldn't want that package of Joker and Murph for Panarin, but that 1st round pick could be top 10, shit top 5...they would be nuts to turn that down for a player that is NOT going to stay.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Columbus is in a terrible position. They need AP to win but know he is going to walk. AP killed his own trade value by implying he is only willing to go to certain teams so he makes himself a pure rental.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
the funny thing is all the Columbus fans on the trade board saying no thanks to the fake trade post from yesterday - and we as Hawks fans say no thanks to moving those assets out for Panarin as well..pretty funny stuff. Columbus doesn't need defense so I see why they wouldn't want that package of Joker and Murph for Panarin, but that 1st round pick could be top 10, **** top 5...they would be nuts to turn that down for a player that is NOT going to stay.
Yeah I was going to respond until I took a peak on their board to see what they were looking for but they wanted something completely nonsensical like Panarin for DeBrincat + unprotected first with another significant add on.

Think they’re going to be disappointed with the return if they think Murphy + Jokiharju + unprotected first is a “horrifying offer” for a UFA who’s agent said the extension not being signed is because of the city he wants to live in.

Reactions: AmericanDream

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
the funny thing is all the Columbus fans on the trade board saying no thanks to the fake trade post from yesterday - and we as Hawks fans say no thanks to moving those assets out for Panarin as well..pretty funny stuff. Columbus doesn't need defense so I see why they wouldn't want that package of Joker and Murph for Panarin, but that 1st round pick could be top 10, **** top 5...they would be nuts to turn that down for a player that is NOT going to stay.
They are for more concerned about Urban Meyer.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Columbus will literally be entering Tavares territory here with Panarin.

They are a playoff team, at least a team that should contend for a spot, how do you move him at the deadline if you are right in the battle for the playoffs??? How do you send him packing when you know the return will likely be younger players/prospects and picks?

I have to believe Columbus gives him one more contract offer at camp, and if he doesn't sign it, they need to move him in the first few months of the season. Get what games out of him you can, and move him while you still have a market. Come trade deadline/playoff time, the 5-6 teams this guy likely will want to go to, half could be bottom feeders and will not be parting ways with their first round pick including us...

In my opinion, they have to move Panarin if he doesn't sign at the start of the year, while there still is a market, while they are a ways away from any playoff talk...if not, how on Earth can you justify trading him with a team fighting for the playoffs? And if they don't trade him, they are NYI part 2...

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It’s almost the opposite of the Tavares situation. Tavares asked not to be traded. Panarin is as transparent as he can be with the Jackets.
In theory yes, but the point is it will turn into a Tavares situation that they lose him for nothing if they play their hand wrong.

If they think he will sign, which he hasn't officially ruled out yet, then they could chance everything and hope he stays. He hasn't officially asked to be traded either, not anything I have seen, just hearing reluctant to sign an extension.

If they try and trade him at the deadline, my point is how difficult that will be to the few suitors he will want to go to as he will not sign an extension with any team.

It is a messy situation and one I wouldn't want to be in as GM of CBJ.

I personally feel there is 0% he will sign in CBJ, he would have already - but I am not the GM there, so I have no idea what he hears/been told and what he is trying to do.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Panarin would bring a haul at the trade deadline wherever you send him strictly as a rental.

If I’m Columbus I’m moving him before the season starts if he won’t sign. The optics are terrible to move your best forward at the trade deadline for futures while in the middle of a playoff race.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Panarin would bring a haul at the trade deadline wherever you send him strictly as a rental.

If I’m Columbus I’m moving him before the season starts if he won’t sign. The optics are terrible to move your best forward at the trade deadline for futures while in the middle of a playoff race.
I dont think he would get a haul at all at the deadline if 2-3 of the teams he wants to play are bottom 10 teams...us and the Rangers will not be giving up 2019 first round pick on him when it could be a top 10 pick..I think the amount would be decent from say the Kings or whatever other team he has interest in, but far less bidders and options for him IMO at the deadline.

And we both agree, move him now or try to win the Cup this year and keep him after the deadline if they are a top team again.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

Why doesn't Columbus just keep him and try to possibly win a Cup? They gave Washington a series this years and if Jones and Werenski develop on the blue line into stars and Bobrovsky is having a good season, then keep Panarin at the deadline and go for it. They can still trade before July 1st for a small asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad