Panarin coming home?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Why doesn't Columbus just keep him and try to possibly win a Cup? They gave Washington a series this years and if Jones and Werenski develop on the blue line into stars and Bobrovsky is having a good season, then keep Panarin at the deadline and go for it. They can still trade before July 1st for a small asset.

If you’re not trading him at all, absolutely push the chips in. If you are trading him, that’s something else entirely.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Agreed on both counts. I think Columbus has to wait to the deadline to get the best return but that kills their team's chances for this season which will not please their fans. Columbus is in a tough spot.
Yep. It’s why I said what I said. Either move him now and let Torts push the whole you’re either in or you’re out no half measures shtick or you push your chips in on this year and be prepared to lose your star winger for peanuts after.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yep. It’s why I said what I said. Either move him now and let Torts push the whole you’re either in or you’re out no half measures shtick or you push your chips in on this year and be prepared to lose your star winger for peanuts after.
Yes, the logic is there. Hopefully, if a deal is to be done, Stan is well aware of the situation and will take the advantage, yeah right.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Kahun is, in my mind, more of an offensive player and with that totally possible lineup I made, there wasn't room for him unless he or a guy like Saad or Anisimov went to the 4th line. That's why I said trade him.

Sikura gets traded because we can't resign him after this season if we want to bring Panarin back and re-sign Schmaltz. Not unless you want to trade Saad or see if Panarin would be willing to sign despite trading away his Russian friend Anisimov.

So leave my imaginary, but completely realistic lineups alone you bullies!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: CallMeShaft

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Schmaltz can't win draws well but saying he can't play D in his own zone is a blatant lie.

Do agree, there have been some occasions where he looked like Hoss backchecking and hustling back to break up a play.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I would not trade for Panarin .I would trade for Patches since Montreal is hand cuffed to do a trade .Forsling , one of our russian prospects 2nd 2019 pick and second 2020 pick .That is a fair trade .Keep our young dmen prospects.

Yeah a trade for him is a viable option, has good offensive skills and i think they use him on the pk as well?

Reactions: Joe Scaduto

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah a trade for him is a viable option, has good offensive skills and i think they use him on the pk as well?
Pacioretty is still fairly young at 29 and wont cost 9 mil ....i think 7 / 7.5 mil gets a deal done.

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
He will also cost a decent amount and was not very good last season. He is 29 so he could drop off hard. Not worth the risk or cost to me.
He had one bad year last year he was a 30 goal scorer four consecutive years prior to last year ....he only played 64 games last year scoring 17 goals not too shabby .

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Patches is 29. He's not a shifty playmaker that'll have a long career because he has this gift of avoiding contact. He's not Kane.

He might have years better than the year he just had, but he won't be worth what he'll get as a UFA. Steer clear from trading for him.

Panarin is different. He's that swifty Kane like player I alluded to earlier. The wear and tear on his body every year is different than what a guy like Pacioretty has to deal with. Not to mention Panarin has had less wear in his career because he played so much in the KHL (a tough league for sure, but easier than the NHL). He's also a bit younger.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Patches is 29. He's not a shifty playmaker that'll have a long career because he has this gift of avoiding contact. He's not Kane.

He might have years better than the year he just had, but he won't be worth what he'll get as a UFA. Steer clear from trading for him.

Panarin is different. He's that swifty Kane like player I alluded to earlier. The wear and tear on his body every year is different than what a guy like Pacioretty has to deal with. Not to mention Panarin has had less wear in his career because he played so much in the KHL (a tough league for sure, but easier than the NHL). He's also a bit younger.
remember when Chara nearly killed Patches??? Yep, that put a toll on the body..

Reactions: CallMeShaft

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He had one bad year last year he was a 30 goal scorer four consecutive years prior to last year ....he only played 64 games last year scoring 17 goals not too shabby .

You could be right but again he is 29 and this is where players are starting to fall off. Also like AD said his cost is high. Not worth it.

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
remember when Chara nearly killed Patches??? Yep, that put a toll on the body..
Pacioretty is not a liability defensively as Panarin kills penalties and is similiar to Hossa style which Toews and Saad sorely miss.That line would be a hard line to play against.I love Panarin but the couple of million you save can be used towards other contracts that will help blackhawks be more competitive for the long haul

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Pacioretty is not a liability defensively as Panarin kills penalties and is similiar to Hossa style which Toews and Saad sorely miss.That line would be a hard line to play against.I love Panarin but the couple of million you save can be used towards other contracts that will help blackhawks be more competitive for the long haul
Patches will get around $7m. Panarin will get around $9m.

The only difference between the two that's worth mentioning is that Patches would be cheaper to acquire via trade. Honestly though, I'd rather we waited til Panarin hits UFA than go for Patches now.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Max P is not going to put the Hawks over the edge.

I firmly believe that this coming season will be a growing season for the Hawks.

The only way they make the playoffs is all of the following happens: Crow is healthy all season, Seabrook returns to a top 4 D with his reduced weight, the kids take another step (8, 12, and 42 specifically), and Saad/Keith return to form. I only think the bold has a good chance of happening and consider the underlined a long shot, who the hell knows about Seabrook.

Reactions: BrianE

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
Patches will get around $7m. Panarin will get around $9m.

The only difference between the two that's worth mentioning is that Patches would be cheaper to acquire via trade. Honestly though, I'd rather we waited til Panarin hits UFA than go for Patches now.
That wont happen .Columbus will trade him before he becomes an unrestricted free agent and the team dealing for him if there giving valuable assets will make sure they. Panarin will agree to a new contract before finalizing the deal.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just thinking about it in my head, but I really hope that Bread stays in Columbus one more year. There isn't a chance in hell he'll re-sign there.

Realistically speaking, we could offer a middling prospect or pick to the Jackets a few weeks before next year's free agency. Get to talk to Panarin before anyone else and allow us to try signing him for 8 years instead of 6, which would probably help him agree to a deal provided a NMC (otherwise known as the Bowman special) comes packaged with it.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That wont happen .Columbus will trade him before he becomes an unrestricted free agent and the team dealing for him if there giving valuable assets will make sure they. Panarin will agree to a new contract before finalizing the deal.
I don't know about that. Panarin doesn't have to agree to jack shit, so a sign and trade might not work. Plus, does Columbus have to trade away Panarin? Sure, it'd make sense. But they'll be a playoff team this year and trading away your best player isn't always the easiest thing to do in those circumstances.

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
Lol....ok so Columbus will let him walk for nothing with no return i dont think so and money talks if there is a team willing to offer him the money he demands he is agreeing to a contract

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Lol....ok so Columbus will let him walk for nothing with no return i dont think so and money talks if there is a team willing to offer him the money he demands he is agreeing to a contract
Ummmm, Columbus is offering him money. He's still not interested in re-signing with them.

He obviously wants to pick where he plays. But even if he gets traded to a place he would like to try playing in, it doesn't mean he'll like it enough to call it home. He could be traded to the Rangers, realize that he doesn't care for the team and doesn't like the city as much as a city like Chicago. Does he sign right away and force his own hand or does he play for that team for a few months to see whether he thinks it's the right fit?

And plenty of teams have kept players they should've traded away simply because they wanted to try to go as far as they could that season. It's not a new or hard to comprehend concept.

Sure, I think they should trade him. But unless your getting a haul back, you're hurting your own team's chances for the season. It isn't as easy as you're making it out.

And all this defensiveness from you because a few posters turned down your idea of trading for Patches? The guy is nearly 30 with a lot of hard miles on him. I promise his next contract, whatever it'll end up being, will start to look bad by the half way point. So if it's between him, Panarin, or neither, I'd go with Panarin or neither.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad