News Article: Panarin’s agent sits down w/ The Athletic

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why am I not surprised that this is already a Toews thread?
It didn't mean to be a Toews thread.

I think it's a legitimate question:

Would you rather have Toews or Panarin at $10.5mn RIGHT NOW?

I think we can all agree the Seabrook contract is terrible and the Hawks will have to eat it unless the new CBA saves us.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Because he literally just scored 52pts without anything close to resembling an all star winger on either side of him.

And why would our best C see less PP time?
That's the question, right? It's not like the Hawks didn't trade Panarin for Saad because we felt it would help Toews. Kane, Schmlatz, and Panarin also played with Toews.

After 3 years, I don't know who's hurting who? Is it Toews or is it his linemates? Remember I was defending Toews as recently as 8 months ago. Now I'm not so sure.

I'll say it again, it's time for Toews to help himself ... and not his linemates to "get him going." At some point, enough is enough. Why is it always his linemates who are the issue?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Kane and Panarin didn’t play with Toews. Toews isn’t great anymore and it hurts. He’s still at worst an elite 2C.
I specifically remember Q splitting up Panarin and Kane to "get Toews going." This board was up in arms about splitting Panarin and Kane up. Q did it 2 years ago. Q also put Kane with Toews last year too. The Hawks have been trying to jump start Toews for 3 years now.

Toews is a good 2C. Elite? Better than Kuzy or Malkin? There are a number of teams with 2 elite centers.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I specifically remember Q splitting up Panarin and Kane to "get Toews going." This board was up in arms about splitting Panarin and Kane up. Q did it 2 years ago. Q also put Kane with Toews last year too. The Hawks have been trying to jump start Toews for 3 years now.

Toews is a good 2C. Elite? Better than Kuzy or Malkin? There are a number of teams with 2 elite centers.
Kuzy and Malkin aren’t 2C’s. Just like Kessel isn’t a third liner.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Especially after these last playoffs, it can be argued that Kuznetsov is a 1C. Regardless, Malkin isn't a 2C. Just stop it

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Should things only be discussed if they’re free?

We shouldn’t be restricted from posting about their articles just because some people don’t subscribe.

If there’s anything worth the money, it’s a subscription to The Athletic.

I think there’s a few things out there worth the money more than the athletic

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
If we move AA with no cap coming back, and sign Panarin to a 9.5M x 7 (full NMC) deal, we could do this:

Panarin - Edjsell - Kane
Saad - Schmaltz - Debrincat
Hinostroza - Toews - Sikura
Kahun - Kampf - Hayden
Highmore
Fortin

Keith - Murphy
Manning - Jokiharju
Forsling - Seabrook
Hillman

Crawford
Delia

If Edjsell doesn't develop as planned, maybe you try Toews with Panarin/Kane.

The year after, Murphy is moved to accommodate Mitchell/Boqvist and possibly Saad for Debrincat's extension.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Especially after these last playoffs, it can be argued that Kuznetsov is a 1C. Regardless, Malkin isn't a 2C. Just stop it
That's my point. Don't say Toews is an elite 2C when these are actual ELITE 2Cs. By definition, they are the 2nd centers on their teams. Toews is a good 2C ... just like Anisimov is a decent 2C. So people need to stop throwing the word ELITE like Stan does with NMCs.

Can Toews become a decent 1C again? Perhaps. However, he hasn't looked like a 1C for 3 years.

That's the point of the question: would you rather have Panarin or Toews for $10.5mn RIGHT NOW.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's my point. Don't say Toews is an elite 2C when these are actual ELITE 2Cs. By definition, they are the 2nd centers on their teams. Toews is a good 2C ... just like Anisimov is a decent 2C. So people need to stop throwing the word ELITE like Stan does with NMCs.

Can Toews become a decent 1C again? Perhaps. However, he hasn't looked like a 1C for 3 years.

Some people base it on production and ice time.

Toews has produced offensively like a good 2C the last three years.

Panarin and Kane have produced like elite first line wingers the last three years.

You don’t need to manipulate the facts to make your point.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Some people base it on production and ice time.
Then the defintion gets all subjective. That's what makes the Penguins and Capitals ELITE. The Penguins have Crosby and Malkin. The Capitals have Backstrom and Kuzy. Having an ELITE 2C gives these teams a massive advantage. The Hawks have 2 decent 2Cs. I don't even know who will be better next year between Toews, Anisimov, and Schmaltz. That's the issue.

Hence, I don't like trying to define a player by 1C, 2C, or 3C. I try to evaluate a player by their production relative to the % of the cap. That's why I asked:

Would you rather have Panarin or Toews at $10.5mn? Obviously, position matters somewhat ... but even with that said, is Panarin more valuable than Toews?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Then the defintion gets all subjective. That's what makes the Penguins and Capitals ELITE. The Penguins have Crosby and Malkin. The Capitals have Backstrom and Kuzy. Having an ELITE 2C gives these teams a massive advantage. The Hawks have 2 decent 2Cs. I don't even know who will be better next year between Toews, Anisimov, and Schmaltz. That's the issue.

Hence, I don't like trying to define a player by 1C, 2C, or 3C. I try to evaluate a player by their production relative to the % of the cap. That's why I asked:

Would you rather have Panarin or Toews at $10.5mn? Obviously, position matters somewhat ... but even with that said, is Panarin more valuable than Toews?

It’s not subjective. The Pens and Capitals objectively have two centers producing like a 1C.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It’s not subjective. The Pens and Capitals objectively have two centers producing like a 1C.
That's the reason to STOP using the 1C, 2C, 3C terminology. Fans are always moving the goal posts to fit their narratives. Evaluate a player on their production relative to the % of the cap. In a hard capped sport, that's how it should always be done ... because it becomes a zero sum game.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

If you’re talking pure offensive production, the answer clearly is that Panarin provides more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad