News Article: Panarin’s agent sits down w/ The Athletic

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If you’re talking pure offensive production, the answer clearly is that Panarin provides more.
That wasn't my question. I asked if you would rather have Toews or Panarin at $10.5mn RIGHT NOW. One player is a wing. Another is a center.

Who would you rather have ... incorportating age, position, offense, defense, special teams, durability, fit, and intangibles? All of that matters.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This is a legitimate question:

Would your rather have Toews or Panarin at $10.5mn RIGHT NOW?

Panarin's agent said he wants a deal in the range of $9-$11mn. Panarin obviously loved playing with Kane and liked Chicago. He is an unrestricted free agent next year.

Since Patrick Kane gets paid $10.5mn, would you rather have Kane or Panarin? I have a feeling I know the answer. Hence, the Toews / Panarin debate.

Pat Riley, Theo Epstein, and Bill Belichick are some of the best GMS in their particular sports. They all acknowledged that the most difficult decision in sports is to cut ties with a deteriorating superstar before its too late. Irrational decisions are made when emotions get involved. Theo even said that change is good for an organization.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
This is a legitimate question:

Would your rather have Toews or Panarin at $10.5mn RIGHT NOW?

Panarin's agent said he wants a deal in the range of $9-$11mn. Panarin obviously loved playing with Kane and liked Chicago. He is an unrestricted free agent next year.

Since Patrick Kane gets paid $10.5mn, would you rather have Kane or Panarin? I have a feeling I know the answer. Hence, the Toews / Panarin debate.

Pat Riley, Theo Epstein, and Bill Belichick are some of the best GMS in their particular sports. They all acknowledged that the most difficult decision in sports is to cut ties with a deteriorating superstar before its too late. Irrational decisions are made when emotions get involved. Theo even said that change is good for an organization.

I'd rather have Toews. As much as people bag on Toews this roster is a lock for a top three pick without him.

Down the middle they would be AA, Schmaltz, whatever else. It would be an absolute disaster.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I'd rather have Toews. As much as people bag on Toews this roster is a lock for a top three pick without him.

Down the middle they would be AA, Schmaltz, whatever else. It would be an absolute disaster.
I'll take Hughes+Panarin then.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I'll take Hughes+Panarin then.
Or the team can play at a lottery level like everyone expects around here with emo ultra negativity, still get Hughes and sign Panarin as a FA. All the while keeping Toews.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Would take Panarin over Toews without hesitation but it won't happen. Will have to ship out Seabs and AA and then maybe?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

That only makes sense if Toews didn’t have an insanely inflated contract... This teams needs a real number one and not some 2nd line(eating up first like minutes) shut down Center getting 50 points and getting paid 10.5. This team will not win another cup with Toews contract in the books at the level he is playing. The team could have probably carried him if everyone else’s contract was very efficient but there are many other bad contracts. Moving him and his contract and replacing him with Panarin would be a huge plus and I don’t understand how anyone can see otherwise, it just doesn’t make any sense in the current NHL.

Reactions: BrianE

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Panarin's came really improved in Columbus, and he proved he does NOT need Patrick Kane on his like to produce. He produced with a 19 year old raw rookie (PLD) and Josh Anderson/Cam Atkinson.

Saad-Schmaltz-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Debrincat

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
How many would be willing do to something around Debrincat, Seabrook as a base for Panarin (assuming the hawks can negotiate with him prematurely)? Would you be willing to add? If so, what?

Brings Panarin back and moves Seabs contract to accommodate.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How many would be willing do to something around Debrincat, Seabrook as a base for Panarin (assuming the hawks can negotiate with him prematurely)? Would you be willing to add? If so, what?

Brings Panarin back and moves Seabs contract to accommodate.

If a re-signed AP could come back for Cat, Seabrook, and say a 1st then you do that move all day.

Reactions: migi

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
If a re-signed AP could come back for Cat, Seabrook, and say a 1st then you do that move all day.

I agree completely and just wasn’t sure if I was crazy haha.

Columbus get another stud youngster, move on from the Panarin mess, and get at least a serviceable defenseman. Could even make them better instead of going back into a restructure right after getting to relevant.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus has zero need for Seabrook

All indications are looking for a top 6 winger to directly replace Panarin, but obviously a young winger to go with their young core would make more sense. This is one way to make that happen. They would also get a + or 2. Their defense is already very good, but Seabrook is a proven winner and still serviceable. They would be able to afford it.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
There is no way they would take Seabrook though.

Let me dream.

I am a hawks fan, but I live in Columbus right now. I feel like it clearly makes Chicago better, but I genuinely believe it makes CBJ at least as good as they are now and they move a player who may not want to be there (at least long term). Plus I would get to see Debrincat play more often so it works better for me too!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I love AP but is the cost worth it for what I listed? I think it is but there are long-term costs to it.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
If we are unable to move a big contract the other way, of course you’re right.
With a cap increase (of around 3M), Anisimov gone for picks/prospects, and Schmaltz getting 5.75-6M and Forsling signing a 2-2.5M bridge, we could afford AP at 9.5M x 7

Panarin-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Debrincat
Hinostroza-Edjsell-Sikura
Highmore-Kampf-Hayden
Fortin

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Manning-Seabrook
Hillman

Crawford
Delia

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
With a cap increase (of around 3M), Anisimov gone for picks/prospects, and Schmaltz getting 5.75-6M and Forsling signing a 2-2.5M bridge, we could afford AP at 9.5M x 7

Panarin-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Debrincat
Hinostroza-Edjsell-Sikura
Highmore-Kampf-Hayden
Fortin

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Manning-Seabrook
Hillman

Crawford
Delia

Oh, I agree he can fit in. I am saying waiting until FA isn't the BEST option if you can move a big contract back the other way.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Oh, I agree he can fit in. I am saying waiting until FA isn't the BEST option if you can move a big contract back the other way.
Columbus just doesn't seem like a team who'd take a big contract (hence why giving Vegas; Karlsson + 1st to take CLarkson)

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Yes, of course (and I love Cat). But they aren't going to take Seabs. No way, no how. Really believe he's untradeable, with that albatross of a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad