News Article: Panarin’s agent sits down w/ The Athletic

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If you’re not subscribed to this thing by now, here’s just one more reason to make $5 a month expendable in your budget.

The Blue Jackets’ guy sat down with Panarin’s agent, and talked openly about Panarin not wanting to sign with Columbus.

I don’t want to break the paywall too much here, but it sounds like the contention is spending 8 years in Columbus, and said he’d sign if it were for two years. Also, his agent threw out $9 million, $10 million, and $11 million in a response.

Also, they sort of call out Tavares without naming him.

Does Artemi Panarin want to spend the next 8 years in...

Reactions: Sarava

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hey a thread based on an article I can't read unless I pay for a subscription, totally rad

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hey a thread based on an article I can't read unless I pay for a subscription, totally rad

Should things only be discussed if they’re free?

We shouldn’t be restricted from posting about their articles just because some people don’t subscribe.

If there’s anything worth the money, it’s a subscription to The Athletic.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Unfortunately the contracts of Seabrook, Toews and Saad won’t allow the Hawks to sign him...

Reactions: BrianE

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Should things only be discussed if they’re free?

We shouldn’t be restricted from posting about their articles just because some people don’t subscribe.

If there’s anything worth the money, it’s a subscription to The Athletic.

It's fine to link to articles from pay sites. I mean, newspapers all seem to be going that way as well these days. And I agree, The Athletic has been worth the money. I got a sub back on Black Friday when they offered a cheap annual price.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It's fine to link to articles from pay sites. I mean, newspapers all seem to be going that way as well these days. And I agree, The Athletic has been worth the money. I got a sub back on Black Friday when they offered a cheap annual price.

I thought so, thank you for clearing that up. The Athletic has definitely been worth it for me, I think I subscribed not long after Powers started working for them.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If you’re going to cite it that’s fine, but don’t have reservations about breaking the pay wall. Don’t quote it in huge blocks, but the bullet points are fine.

The Athletic is worth it for the Tortarella reaction to Rutherford’s comments on Jack Johnson alone. An active coach telling a rival GM to shut the f*** up would have been way bigger news if it wasn’t buried by free agency.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If you’re going to cite it that’s fine, but don’t have reservations about breaking the pay wall. Don’t quote it in huge blocks, but the bullet points are fine.

The Athletic is worth it for the Tortarella reaction to Rutherford’s comments on Jack Johnson alone. An active coach telling a rival GM to shut the **** up would have been way bigger news if it wasn’t buried by free agency.

Ahh, thank you for clearing that up. I’m not in a position this morning to add those bullet points for this article.

Can someone with access add in a better summary?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Seems like he just doesn’t want to be in Columbus for 8 years. Probably will end up with LA, NYR, Chicago or maybe a Florida team. Dark horse LV.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The interview states that Panarin wouldn’t mind committing for a year or two but since he’s looking for a seven or eight year deal he doesn’t want to commit to Columbus. Whole lotta candor from the agent, not the usual Panarin loves Columbus and we’ll see what happens. He’s prioritizing being up front with the organization about his long term plans.

Come home Artemi.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
He states he doesn’t mind playing out his last year there he just doesn’t want the organization to feel like they’re held hostage.

For what it’s worth, I think he is treating Jackets pretty good with this. At least comparing to Tavares. But they have right to do so (Tavares).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Panarin is being honest. It's his right to move as a UFA. CBUS will not be blindsided when he leaves. That's all you can ask for.

If the Hawks didn't extend Seabrook, they would be contenders to re sign Panarin. Heck, does anyone want Toews' contract? Maybe Toews can push Winnipeg over the top?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Panarin is being honest. It's his right to move as a UFA. CBUS will not be blindsided when he leaves. That's all you can ask for.

If the Hawks didn't extend Seabrook, they would be contenders to re sign Panarin. Heck, does anyone want Toews' contract? Maybe Toews can push Winnipeg over the top?

Would you ship out Toews (in whatever manner it takes) in order to clear money for Panarin?

It would create a drastic shift in roster makeup and deployment, but would the Hawks be better being led by two elite scoring wingers?

You basically wouldn’t have a shutdown option in the top-6, and you’d be playing a run and gun style. With the NHL evolving, could that be a winning formula?

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Saad
Hinostroza-Hayden-Sikura
Grinder McGrindy-Kampf-Grinder McGrindy II

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Would you ship out Toews (in whatever manner it takes) in order to clear money for Panarin?

It would create a drastic shift in roster makeup and deployment, but would the Hawks be better being led by two elite scoring wingers?

You basically wouldn’t have a shutdown option in the top-6, and you’d be playing a run and gun style. With the NHL evolving, could that be a winning formula?

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Saad
Hinostroza-Hayden-Sikura
Grinder McGrindy-Kampf-Grinder McGrindy II
I'd rather have a 80 - 90 point scorer than a 3rd line center with injury concerns for $10.5mn. Toews hasn't done much for 3 years.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Third line centers don’t score 50-65 points. Toews has definitely lost a step but he’s not as awful as people make him out to be.
How do you know he won't score ~40 points WITHOUT the Hawks surrounding him with former all star level wingers and less PP time? I don't think Toews is that bad. He's still good defensively. He is a 2C. However, at this rate of decline, I'm concerned he becomes a 3C in 2 years.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Third line centers don’t score 50-65 points. Toews has definitely lost a step but he’s not as awful as people make him out to be.

Agree with this. Also, Toews hasn’t been a 65 point center since 14-15.

I think calling him a third line center is hyperbole, but it’s fair to objectively say he’s putting up 2C production over the last three years.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Agree with this. Also, Toews hasn’t been a 65 point center since 14-15.

I think calling him a third line center is hyperbole, but it’s fair to objectively say he’s putting up 2C production over the last three years.
I agree. However, his rate of decline is concerning. I wonder what he'll be like in 2 years. His game hasn't aged well. Some big time athletes just fall off a cliff. Their bodies just can't take the physical stress anymore. I hope that's not the case ... but I have my worries.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How do you know he won't score ~40 points WITHOUT the Hawks surrounding him with former all star level wingers and less PP time? I don't think Toews is that bad. He's still good defensively. He is a 2C. However, at this rate of decline, I'm concerned he becomes a 3C in 2 years.

Because he’s never done it? Guy played largely with a snake bit/ineffective Saad last year and still put up 52 points. And the PP was hot garbage. His totals were dragged down, not up last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad