Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Look, we need to face facts here, we will be the underdog from here on out if we move on. President's trophy's only meaning is a few more possible bucks for Dolan.

But, good thing we won the President's Trophy, especially out East, because round 1 was the only round we would have been favored in. Islanders? Yeah we would have been favored there, but that's it, even against TBL regardless of what @Machinehead thinks of that team. Boston too, and Boston kinda sucks. Weird, because the Rangers DON'T suck, we just, don't "match up" against anyone good, on paper.

Rangers in 6.

You're buggin. We would have been massive favorites against Tampa Bay.

The Rangers board and Paul Bissonnette are the only people alive who still think they're a good team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Possible triple header.

Canes-Rangers 4pm
Vegas-Stars 7pm
Nashville-Canucks 10pm

The NHL never starts a series before all of the other playoff series are over. The Knicks are playing on Monday and Wednesday. The NHL had to change their policy.

First four games every other day. It's a Christmas miracle.

Reactions: Atax and Siddi

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't care about goaltending. I don't care who it is. Hellebuyck will win the Vezina and just got absolutely Shreked. Goaltending is a roulette wheel.

The act of goaltending matters. The individual does not.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Went to record Sun game
ESPN had it 4 Am not Pm

... snl already has coined title 'Not Yet Ready for Prime Time Players", but apt of the network here.

Someone feel free to go yell at them and say bern is not amused.
Let us know when they correct this screw up.

thnx

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For all of their amazing league leading analytics they have as much to show for it as us, including a loss to us in the playoffs. For how much @Machinehead values analytics even he took a step back and thought "what am I missing here?" I value analytics too but hockey is too complicated to treat them as the be all end all.
I think, at the end of the day, goals matter the larger the sample gets. And then wins matter. We're ok at goals overall and elite at wins over three years.

At 5v5, we're legit not good. +1 is +1. Special teams is obviously a factor and has carried us to wins over a sustainable sample of time, but it concerns me as we get into the rounds where the competition is almost exclusively good at everything.

inranger94

Oct 18, 2019
Oh yeah they beat the river rats last year in the second round. Completely slipped my mind

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Everyone left is basically flawless. That's why I don't understand the hand wringing over being underdogs. Find statistics the Hurricanes aren't top 10 at. Same for Florida.

The NHL doesn't have that next tier that the NBA does. The Knicks are a bit better than the Pacers and should win. Then they play the Celtics who are much better than everyone else. Probably ditto for the Nuggets out West. If you have the best record, you're in that tier.

In the NHL, you're already at the highest level by the time you hit the second round, unless you draw a team that upset somebody. Any likely opponent left can win the Cup.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Everyone left is basically flawless. That's why I don't understand the hand wringing over being underdogs. Find statistics the Hurricanes aren't top 10 at. Same for Florida.

The NHL doesn't have that next tier that the NBA does. The Knicks are a bit better than the Pacers and should win. Then they play the Celtics who are much better than everyone else. Probably ditto for the Nuggets out West. If you have the best record, you're in that tier.

In the NHL, you're already at the highest level by the time you hit the second round, unless you draw a team that upset somebody. Any likely opponent left can win the Cup.
Zen Machinehead.

Reactions: Vaheh and Atax

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I don't think the Rangers can win the series in 4 or 5 games, but I think the Canes can. If we win, it will be in 6 or 7. And that's not to say the Canes can't win in 6 or 7, which is why I agree that the Canes are the favorite. If you have watched their team at all this season, they are a f***ing juggernaut.

Even if you beat them, you likely have to beat the Panthers next, who are another juggernaut. I think the best of the east is a little tougher than the west.

But, that's why we play the games ladies and gents. You never know.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I don't think the Rangers can win the series in 4 or 5 games, but I think the Canes can. If we win, it will be in 6 or 7. And that's not to say the Canes can't win in 6 or 7, which is why I agree that the Canes are the favorite. If you have watched their team at all this season, they are a f***ing juggernaut.

Even if you beat them, you likely have to beat the Panthers next, who are another juggernaut. I think the best of the east is a little tougher than the west.

But, that's why we play the games ladies and gents. You never know.
I don't think either team can win in 4 or 5. We haven't been beaten that easily in a long time and this is probably the best team that we've had since the 90s.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think alot of people who are anti analytics just come off as idiots who can't be bothered to even do the slightest bit of research.

Even MOST analytically driven people will tell you that their models are biased towards teams like Carolina. They'll even acknowledge that they don't (or really cannot) take into account certain things (in this series case, the ability for the Rangers to absolutely manhandle the Canes physically if the Refs don't get overly involved) or that they overvalue attempts for in lieu of actual quality.

Does it mean that their models need updating/find a way to account for/more accurately weight certain things? Yeah it does. I've felt for a while that most models almost ignore special teams and while most of a game does take place 5v5, 99.9% of games have enough of a special teams impact where they can and do make a difference.

Does it mean your eye test is better? .0000001% chance that this is true.

So basically, the analytical prognostications are probably off and your eye test still sucks so shut the f*** up.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and DialUp

ncdoc

Oct 10, 2015
I think they wear out against teams like us. So much possession means nothing if they can't score. Being healthy is key. LFG! Need IGOR and great D. They will give up chances!

Reactions: Captain Lindy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You're buggin. We would have been massive favorites against Tampa Bay.

The Rangers board and Paul Bissonnette are the only people alive who still think they're a good team.

I also think most models would have the Rangers favored over Boston.

Ironically, I think thats one of like the 3 teams remaining who have a goalie that is actually good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad