Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"This was a day for preliminary talks before the sides begin more substantive meetings."

Astounding. May 28th is a day for "preliminary" talks? REALLY?!?!?

Both sides are playing hot potato with the gun. Glendale passes the pressure off onto the NHL by playing the 'following the right political process' card. The NHL counters by flying off to Neverland while leaving RSE behind to 'work out' a deal. If it goes sideways, they are nowhere to be found. Your move Glendale.

We expect that representatives from the Renaissance group will begin meeting with the City to see if a mutually agreeable lease arrangement can be forged expeditiously.

Pretty damn ominous.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
"This was a day for preliminary talks before the sides begin more substantive meetings."

Astounding. May 28th is a day for "preliminary" talks? REALLY?!?!?

NHL may have already decided we're staying for another potential lame-duck season. Seems the least likely to happen so, based on history, it has a good shot at being exactly what happens. I'd rather see them leave than go through another bs season like the last four.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Holy **** are all involved parties dragging their feet or what? Just step up, say it's over and move on, please!

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Coming in peace: Just wanted to say that you guys are true fans, cause this has been quite an ordeal to go thrue year after year. You guys have all my respect. I have been following this for three years and i am sick of it. Just get this resolved NHL one way or the other so we can finally move on to something else.

I admit i use to be quite competitive about this story before (me wanting a team in Québec City), but i have grown to appreciate a lot of you guys, your interesting to read. Whatever happen, you guys can keep your head up, your some of the best fans in the game.

Good luck guys.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I guess maybe the NHL isn't actually particularly interested in controlling the optics of the situation? I mean, it's not like much of a stink will be made by many if they uproot the team and move them in three days despite all of this seemingly completely disingenuous action and complete lip service. I mean, who out there is actually going to call them out on this ********? Who that they actually give a crap about, I mean. They don't care if forum number 40 at HF is pissed. They don't care if Roc and Manuch, Craig Morgan, or Paul Giblin call them on this crap. The outrage locally will be completely insignificant. Nationally, people will just say "about time" and not bother to look into the details.

So maybe this half assed smoke screen BS is really just ammo for when they're sued by the COG? Dates on a calendar their attorneys can point to during litigation? A list of actions in some column in some legal document?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sue Glendale for what? They waived those rights post bankruptcy

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
NHL may have already decided we're staying for another potential lame-duck season. Seems the least likely to happen so, based on history, it has a good shot at being exactly what happens. I'd rather see them leave than go through another bs season like the last four.
Don't and can't understand this attitude. I liked the Thrashers when I lived in South Carolina. No interest in the Jets. I couldn't tell you what happened to the Stars after I moved to Phoenix. If the shoe were on the other foot and Quebec were losing an NHL team, they'd have the Habs, Senators and the entire QMJHL to console themselves. The Coyotes are hockey here. If Roadrunners Part 5 ever happens, I'll be there, but I would be 100% happier with bad situation, cash-strapped NHL hockey than with AHL or ECHL hockey. Makes a home win against the Leafs all the more satisfying knowing 1 man's happiness is mirrored in 1,000 people's misery. [insert Trolloff avatar here]
Coming in peace
Dont know why so many people think this is necessary. Just don't be an a-hole, which Patofqc obviously wasn't. Anyway ...
I guess maybe the NHL isn't actually particularly interested in controlling the optics of the situation? I mean, it's not like much of a stink will be made by many if they uproot the team and move them in three days despite all of this seemingly completely disingenuous action and complete lip service. I mean, who out there is actually going to call them out on this ********? Who that they actually give a crap about, I mean. They don't care if forum number 40 at HF is pissed. They don't care if Roc and Manuch, Craig Morgan, or Paul Giblin call them on this crap. The outrage locally will be completely insignificant. Nationally, people will just say "about time" and not bother to look into the details.

So maybe this half assed smoke screen BS is really just ammo for when they're sued by the COG? Dates on a calendar their attorneys can point to during litigation? A list of actions in some column in some legal document?
You don't think the league is negotiating in good-ish faith? Perception is huge. If the Coyotes get sold for $50m, what are the Stars and Panthers and Ducks worth? If half of the PHX/ATL/DAL/NAS gambit fails, what does that say about the league? Maximizing revenues would mean contracting TB, FLA, CAR, NAS, CBJ, which increases the chances MTL, TOR and NYR make the Finals. But it would relegate the NHL to distant 5th (or 6th, behind MLS) in the North American consciousness. Going to Quebec was the easy play 2 years ago ... I fully believe the NHL wants to be in PHX, but they're not going to give the team away. If Bettman wanted to move, he would have done it already.

How differently would bankruptcy have gone with Lemieux instead of Gretzky and with Crosby, Malkin and Fleury instead of Turris, Mueller and Tikhonov ...

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
How differently would bankruptcy have gone with Lemieux instead of Gretzky and with Crosby, Malkin and Fleury instead of Turris, Mueller and Tikhonov ...

You made a lot of solid points in that post but this part was a low blow! Just kidding but it really sucks we couldn't get one gem forward out of all the high picks we had.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Coming in peace: Just wanted to say that you guys are true fans, cause this has been quite an ordeal to go thrue year after year. You guys have all my respect. I have been following this for three years and i am sick of it. Just get this resolved NHL one way or the other so we can finally move on to something else.

I admit i use to be quite competitive about this story before (me wanting a team in Québec City), but i have grown to appreciate a lot of you guys, your interesting to read. Whatever happen, you guys can keep your head up, your some of the best fans in the game.

Good luck guys.

I really hope you guys get a team soon. I just hope it isn't ours.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Don't and can't understand this attitude. I liked the Thrashers when I lived in South Carolina. No interest in the Jets. I couldn't tell you what happened to the Stars after I moved to Phoenix. If the shoe were on the other foot and Quebec were losing an NHL team, they'd have the Habs, Senators and the entire QMJHL to console themselves. The Coyotes are hockey here. If Roadrunners Part 5 ever happens, I'll be there, but I would be 100% happier with bad situation, cash-strapped NHL hockey than with AHL or ECHL hockey. Makes a home win against the Leafs all the more satisfying knowing 1 man's happiness is mirrored in 1,000 people's misery. [insert Trolloff avatar here]
Dont know why so many people think this is necessary. Just don't be an a-hole, which Patofqc obviously wasn't. Anyway ...You don't think the league is negotiating in good-ish faith? Perception is huge. If the Coyotes get sold for $50m, what are the Stars and Panthers and Ducks worth? If half of the PHX/ATL/DAL/NAS gambit fails, what does that say about the league? Maximizing revenues would mean contracting TB, FLA, CAR, NAS, CBJ, which increases the chances MTL, TOR and NYR make the Finals. But it would relegate the NHL to distant 5th (or 6th, behind MLS) in the North American consciousness. Going to Quebec was the easy play 2 years ago ... I fully believe the NHL wants to be in PHX, but they're not going to give the team away. If Bettman wanted to move, he would have done it already.

Eh, What???????

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Where did you hear this? I'm not calling you out or anything, I just haven't heard anything about this yet, if it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Glendale councilmember Gary Sherwood said recently he believes there are ways to bridge that gap, and if Sherwood’s recent pulse-taking is an indication, other council members may be coming to the realization that the $6 million figure is both inaccurate and unworkable if the city hopes to keep the team and not face the prospect of an empty arena and a number of surrounding businesses that are dependent on the Coyotes as an anchor tenant for business.

However, bridging the gap between $6 million and RSE’s stated numbers may require concessions on both sides. The coming days will provide clarity on whether that is possible.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl...meet-with-Glendale?blockID=906289&feedID=3702

FYI the budget last year was voted on at least 3 times if I recall so dont take tonight as the end all.

He added:
Guessing it was a little jarring for both sides to hear each other's realities. But it's a start..."

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl...meet-with-Glendale?blockID=906289&feedID=3702

FYI the budget last year was voted on at least 3 times if I recall so dont take tonight as the end all.

He added:
Guessing it was a little jarring for both sides to hear each other's realities. But it's a start..."

Yes they can tweak and vote on changes to the budget, but they are under a state mandated deadline to have an approved budget in place. And it's a deadline that can't be postponed.

Only way this is going to work is if the informal meetings between RSE and CoG showed they are not very far apart.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
They need the Bid report

If this is going to be above board, the council needs to show RSE and the public the bids on what it would cost to run the arena without the Coyotes. If they can show how keeping the team and managing the arena with RSE is the best option then so be it. If not they are walking a slippery slope. Either it works or it doesn't. I want the team to stay but also want Glendale to do what is best for their citizens. It is not up to them to subsidize Hockey for the rest of the valley.

rt

May 13, 2004
If this is going to be above board, the council needs to show RSE and the public the bids on what it would cost to run the arena without the Coyotes. If they can show how keeping the team and managing the arena with RSE is the best option then so be it. If not they are walking a slippery slope. Either it works or it doesn't. I want the team to stay but also want Glendale to do what is best for their citizens. It is not up to them to subsidize Hockey for the rest of the valley.

When do they unseal those puppies? I know they are supposed to cut of the submissions on Friday. When do they open them up and take a peek? Also, they've got to actually analyze each one Nd eventually schedule a vote on whatever few seem the most attractive right?

The time frame they've given for this in the past is one month. June 25th.

Do you honestly think it is in the NHL's best interest to wait Round until 6-25 to find out if Gosbee gets any subsidy at all or if he will have to pay rent to some third party and be a tenant?

Gosbee will take off and the NHL will own a homeless franchise, and it will be too late to put them anywhere.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When do they unseal those puppies?

They are supposedly sealed until the 31st but it would be naive to think that the council has no clue what the bids are or contain. There's no way the team gets to June 25th without a lease, so a move would be expected. Uncle Gary has to move the team by the 1st of June to maintain the illusion/precedent the league set in court. There's zero chatter right now. I'm guessing we're seeing the chilling effect of the league office threatening to cancel any move if details leak. The TNSE/ASG debacle was two corporations who didn't have much to lose by squawking to the media. This saga has had so many twists and turns that the media might just be fatigued by now.

RSE reportedly refused to discuss hard numbers when they were told to 'expeditiously' negotiate a lease. I just refuse to take them seriously at this point. They were sniffing around for a home run and there was none to be found. We may yet see the league wait until the city starts moving forward on the RFP process before they pull the plug. It'd be easy to spin it as "the city has chosen to move on without the team as the arena manager, a situation which is unsustainable. We have no choice but to consider relocation options at this point in time."

rt

May 13, 2004
They are supposedly sealed until the 31st but it would be naive to think that the council has no clue what the bids are or contain. There's no way the team gets to June 25th without a lease, so a move would be expected. Uncle Gary has to move the team by the 1st of June to maintain the illusion/precedent the league set in court. There's zero chatter right now. I'm guessing we're seeing the chilling effect of the league office threatening to cancel any move if details leak. The TNSE/ASG debacle was two corporations who didn't have much to lose by squawking to the media. This saga has had so many twists and turns that the media might just be fatigued by now.

RSE reportedly refused to discuss hard numbers when they were told to 'expeditiously' negotiate a lease. I just refuse to take them seriously at this point. They were sniffing around for a home run and there was none to be found. We may yet see the league wait until the city starts moving forward on the RFP process before they pull the plug. It'd be easy to spin it as "the city has chosen to move on without the team as the arena manager, a situation which is unsustainable. We have no choice but to consider relocation options at this point in time."

And yet, I can still see us sitting here on Friday June 7th at 8pm PST with absolutely no new concrete information. Just us pulling our hair out, minds blown.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The Coyotes did not take a monthly payment for season tickets from my bank this month. Is this the way the schedule was supposed to go or maybe a hint of future?? I really don't remember what the payment schedule was and can't seem to be able to find the email.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

who supplied you this info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
who supplied you this info.

NHL executives and Renaissance Sports and Entertainment principals outlined the broad scope of their intentions but did not provide hard numbers, according to city officials who attended the briefings at Glendale City Hall.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...oyotes-buyers-meet-at-glendale-city-hall.html

While the term refused shouldn't be used, since it was a meet and greet session, negotiation terms were not fully outlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad