Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Detroit Red Wings Senior VP and Governors

Devellano: “I Would Be Shocked If They Weren’t in Phoenix”

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/jimmy-devellanos-thoughts-on-the-coyotes-situation/

Highlights:

League working hard right now on a schedule with Phoenix on it
Don’t know 100% if he is right
They all hope they found a group to finalize it
Despite the cloud over the team, arena looked full to them
The business in Glendale was much better this year
Wonderful city
Players like to be here
Important to have a west coast presence
Thinks Seattle needs a team for a national perspective and cant lose Phoenix without a team in Seattle

Starting to hear more rumblings that Seattle was the NHL's top target. Glendale's Council believed that based on what I heard and that may have to do with comments from the NHL; either formally or informally.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Devellano: “I Would Be Shocked If They Weren’t in Phoenix”

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/jimmy-devellanos-thoughts-on-the-coyotes-situation/

Highlights:
...until at least next year.

That's an important part to include. I don't think it means lame duck season, if anything I think it means the status quo, another year to make something happen but again he's clearly not saying he'd be shocked if they're not permanently in Phoenix.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
That's an important part to include. I don't think it means lame duck season, if anything I think it means the status quo, another year to make something happen but again he's clearly not saying he'd be shocked if they're not permanently in Phoenix.

The article says "until at least next year" but his quote was that he would be "surprised if they weren't there next year". Minor play on words between the article and the actual interview but he sounded optimistic on this deal getting done. But again, it all means nothing but its nice that the nothing is positive.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And yet, I can still see us sitting here on Friday June 7th at 8pm PST with absolutely no new concrete information. Just us pulling our hair out, minds blown.

Paul Giblin , PaulGiblinAriz 2m
#NHL execs left no paperwork with #Glendale officials after yesterday's #Coyotes meetings. Also, no further meetings are scheduled yet.

Looks like it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...oyotes-buyers-meet-at-glendale-city-hall.html

While the term refused shouldn't be used, since it was a meet and greet session, negotiation terms were not fully outlined.

It was my understanding or assumption that is was a meet and greet only and negotiations on the lease was to follow next week. Just because the terms were not discussed or fully outlined at this initial meeting, some posters are getting their panties in a knot and putting words in peoples mouth. Relax, what happens, happens, don't let the anxiety kill you, its only been four years.:)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So let's take stock now that some details have emerged...

NHL/RSE flew into town to meet with COG for approximately 45 minutes (this was confirmed, right? 45 minutes?), go over no actual numbers, leave no materials of any kind for review, and take off without scheduling any further meetings? All business has closed for the day, this the 29th day of May, 2013. In 48 hours, business will have closed for the week, and by the time Monday rolls around it will be June 3rd.

:pullhair:

rt

May 13, 2004
It was my understanding or assumption that is was a meet and greet only and negotiations on the lease was to follow next week. Just because the terms were not discussed or fully outlined at this initial meeting, some posters are getting their panties in a knot and putting words in peoples mouth. Relax, what happens, happens, don't let the anxiety kill you, its only been four years.:)

I guess it's a very good sign that the NHL has no intention of playing home games anywhere but Glendale next season. June 10th has got to be too late to relocate to Quebec.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
June 10th has got to be too late to relocate to Quebec.

The troubling thing is that it's entirely possible Maloney has PKP's blessing, given all the side comments people have made on his new contract. QC has a robust infrastructure already in place to handle the Remparts, a junior team that is on par with some of the crappier NHL franchises, ourselves included. I think there is more time than anyone really believes. Quebec has put the Colisee renovations out to RFP for emergency completion by this fall. Those tickets will sell, and re-branding can wait for another season, if they've even contemplated it at all. The major problem here is the schedule, but it's plug and play if Daly thinks playing in the new Pacific is an option for QC.

I don't think we're safe until the schedule comes out and teams start buying tickets and booking rooms. That's traditionally sometime before the draft, although the late season this year could mean it gets pushed into July. There's more time there. I really don't think it takes that long to establish that the gap between what the city wants and what RSE wants is too wide, but you never know. The NHL has walked the proverbial line for so long now that there's no telling how far they will go to keep the team in Phoenix.

edit: the NHL also has ~20m in escrow remaining they can use to fund next season. Considering that, another lame duck season is very possible.

rt

May 13, 2004
^ solid point. Everybody always talks about how Winnipeg barely pulled it off despite having the perfect soft landing spot with almost everything totally ready to go. That's not necessarily true, though. They barely pulled off a flawless relaunch. Who says year one in QC has got to be flawless? A ton of stuff could likely get pushed through on a provisional basis.

Let Don run the hockey ops, and PKP can quietly get ducks in a row in the shadows. Then when the announcement is made, throw something together helter skelter and pray for the best. They'll still sell out every game even if the season tickets are just plain black print on white paper. Even if the locker rooms have Remparts paint the team won't win or lost any more games because of it. Even if you don't have time for the rebrand cash grab, just go with the last Nords jerseys, let the fans know the rebrand is coming next year and build anticipation. As far as ticket takers, beer barkers, and popcorn scoopers, just promote all the existing Remparts staff. Even if it's half-assed, non-ideal, and far from the best way to relaunch, they'll still lose a lot less money than they would in Glendale.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
The article says "until at least next year" but his quote was that he would be "surprised if they weren't there next year". Minor play on words between the article and the actual interview but he sounded optimistic on this deal getting done. But again, it all means nothing but its nice that the nothing is positive.

I felt threatened by Seattle. When that Kings deal didn't go down, I knew we received another year in Phoenix at least. The NHL doesn't want to move the team to Quebec. Seattle would have made sense, because it would have maintained the western presence and division.

I've seen the word "lame duck" used to describe the last 4 seasons. In my opinion, these last 4 years have provided some of the best hockey and exciting times in the organization. Sure, it was a stressful from an ownership perspective but these last 4 years have been a blast.

This season was the most enjoyable season in my opinion. The entire season was one long playoff and it was exciting to come home every night and watch a playoff game because every game mattered. Give me another "lame duck" season next year. I'm fine with that.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Even if it's half-assed, non-ideal, and far from the best way to relaunch, they'll still lose a lot less money than they would in Glendale.
The New Nordiques would lose money? Paint the Coyote head powder blue and you'll sell 50,000 units the first day.

The NHL has walked the proverbial line for so long now that there's no telling how far they will go to keep the team in Phoenix.
This point renders every statement / speculation / guess in this thread meaningless, because there is no blueprint in North American sports history for what this team is doing.

All that said, it's just more reason why the team would stay. There has to be more to this than money, or else the team would have been gone long ago. Not saying a savior is about to arrive, just that it's crazy to assume the team is already gone. The NHL has spent too much time and has given too many chances.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I felt threatened by Seattle. When that Kings deal didn't go down, I knew we received another year in Phoenix at least. The NHL doesn't want to move the team to Quebec. Seattle would have made sense, because it would have maintained the western presence and division.

I've seen the word "lame duck" used to describe the last 4 seasons. In my opinion, these last 4 years have provided some of the best hockey and exciting times in the organization. Sure, it was a stressful from an ownership perspective but these last 4 years have been a blast.

This season was the most enjoyable season in my opinion. The entire season was one long playoff and it was exciting to come home every night and watch a playoff game because every game mattered. Give me another "lame duck" season next year. I'm fine with that.

Eh, What?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. After four years of anxiety, imagination is getting the better of us. We are babbling and thinking the worst. This will all be over sooner or later, and we will see a positive outcome, I hope.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The New Nordiques would lose money? Paint the Coyote head powder blue and you'll sell 50,000 units the first day.

This point renders every statement / speculation / guess in this thread meaningless, because there is no blueprint in North American sports history for what this team is doing.

All that said, it's just more reason why the team would stay. There has to be more to this than money, or else the team would have been gone long ago. Not saying a savior is about to arrive, just that it's crazy to assume the team is already gone. The NHL has spent too much time and has given too many chances.

I agree, there has to more to it. I wonder if the NHL wants to hold out for expansion money for two instead of one, or maybe it has something to do with the TV contract, or maybe it has something to do with etc. etc. Bettman is a pretty smart cookie, he knows what he is doing. Of course, I'm just assuming like all of us.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

No offense here but I have to ask; How much in great detail have you paid attention to what has really gone on with this cluster****?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This thing drifts into June as its clearly about to do, I dont see how they pull off a relo to anywhere.
Logistically & practically a nightmare. Somethin strange goin down here. Not sure what exactly.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
No offense here but I have to ask; How much in great detail have you paid attention to what has really gone on with this cluster****?
A good bit less than yourself, rt and the rest of the heavy contributors in these threads on account of the fact that I only moved to Glendale in March, but the very fact that it's been a clusterf is exactly WHY I am holding out hope.

Quebec City is leverage in negotiations with CoG. CoG isn't leverage in negotiations with QC. The Remparts have had a passable NHL facility since 1995, before which time they had an actual NHL facility. If the NHL's only priority was short-term cash, they would contract PHX, NAS, CAR, TB, FLA, DAL, CBJ and move to QC. That tells me plainly that there is more in play from the NHL's negotiating position than the money. I'm left with a very lose idea about what the real, no bs price of the team is ... $200m now, $170 prorated over years ... I've read a lot of prices, but there are soooo many different numbers (CoG to team, team to league, owner to league, CoG to arena, etc) in play that will keep the negotiators busy. Buying a sports franchise isn't the most complex piece of business taking place in the 48th state this year, but it's up there. Anytime there are multiple governments + a cartel (the NHL) auctioning an emotionally charged business to themselves/investors, some of whom have immediate plans to cannibalize it, it drags. It wouldn't drag if CoG weren't very much in the hunt.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
multiple governments + a cartel (the NHL) auctioning an emotionally charged business to themselves/investors, some of whom have immediate plans to cannibalize it
This is phenomenal. This should be the OP. If I were a mod--though that's about as likely as Taylor Swift giving me the key to her hotel room--I would seriously consider deleting the rest of the thread and locking 'er up. I have not read a better encapsulation of this predicament, and until somebody signs something official, final, and irrevocable, there's nothing of substance left to be said.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
This thing drifts into June as its clearly about to do, I dont see how they pull off a relo to anywhere.
Logistically & practically a nightmare. Somethin strange goin down here. Not sure what exactly.

Killion, you're probably the biggest proponent of relocating the Coyotes I've ever seen on these boards. If YOU of all people can't imagine us relocating this year, I like our chances of staying. :laugh:

Understand I'm joking here people, I still understand, believe and accept the fact there's a chance that we could relocate this season, so don't jump all over me guys. :)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
A good bit less than yourself, rt and the rest of the heavy contributors in these threads on account of the fact that I only moved to Glendale in March, but the very fact that it's been a clusterf is exactly WHY I am holding out hope.

Quebec City is leverage in negotiations with CoG. CoG isn't leverage in negotiations with QC. The Remparts have had a passable NHL facility since 1995, before which time they had an actual NHL facility. If the NHL's only priority was short-term cash, they would contract PHX, NAS, CAR, TB, FLA, DAL, CBJ and move to QC. That tells me plainly that there is more in play from the NHL's negotiating position than the money. I'm left with a very lose idea about what the real, no bs price of the team is ... $200m now, $170 prorated over years ... I've read a lot of prices, but there are soooo many different numbers (CoG to team, team to league, owner to league, CoG to arena, etc) in play that will keep the negotiators busy. Buying a sports franchise isn't the most complex piece of business taking place in the 48th state this year, but it's up there. Anytime there are multiple governments + a cartel (the NHL) auctioning an emotionally charged business to themselves/investors, some of whom have immediate plans to cannibalize it, it drags. It wouldn't drag if CoG weren't very much in the hunt.

When you say there are multiple governments involved, which govenments along with Glendale are you refering to? From what I have seen in this mess, the main thing that Bettman wants in the end of this is to see to it that the league doesn't lose a dime in this mess and he isn't afraid to move a team if needed no matter the circumstances. After all, the main objective of the commish in any sports league is the bottom line. Thanks for your response.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
When you say there are multiple governments involved, which govenments along with Glendale are you refering to? From what I have seen in this mess, the main thing that Bettman wants in the end of this is to see to it that the league doesn't lose a dime in this mess and he isn't afraid to move a team if needed no matter the circumstances. After all, the main objective of the commish in any sports league is the bottom line. Thanks for your response.
Is QC footing the bill on some of the work on the rink up there? I might have imagined that.

Either way, I'm only recently getting up to speed on the Goldwater Institute and the influence they've had on the mess. That's why government funding is so insane, and why government finances the world over are so ****. There's the bottom line, sliding scales of projecting expenditure vs tax revenue, plus vague things like "city prestige" which are very hard to quantify. Returns tend to happen years after investments, which, given how slow elections are, means reality may or may not have any real bearing on people's attitudes, which is itself tricky because reality is so subjective (what exactly would CoG get from a $10m homeless shelter or better roads?). There's also a general willingness by SOME taxpayers to just throw away money on frivolous things ... oh, but not this election cycle, we just had a scandal ...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I believe someone from up north who posts in BoH said a while back that PKP felt they would lose money playing in the Coliseee, despite any "upgrades" they're currently putting into it. IMO... That wouldn't be an issue if they get the new arena completed.

BTW.... Quebecers wouldn't accept a blue headed Coyote under any circumstances.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm rooting for resolution. I don't care what it is. At this point I only want something to happen. Definitely agree that the years since BK are the best in franchise history. The ouster of the previous regime and the subsequent on ice success have been incredibly cathartic. I feel like all of that and all that came before had left me completely and totally pent up. That's it. I'm totally pent up. I just want a resolution and I want it now. Obviously I have preferences; first I'd obviously prefer local ownership, but would accept relocation, and while folding would be a complete and total death blow to my interest in all sports, I will take it. The last thing I want is one more year without resolution.

1. Sell locally
2. Sell for relo
3. Fold
4. Additional lame duck year

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'm rooting for resolution. I don't care what it is. At this point I only want something to happen. Definitely agree that the years since BK are the best in franchise history. The ouster of the previous regime and the subsequent on ice success have been incredibly cathartic. I feel like all of that and all that came before had left me completely and totally pent up. That's it. I'm totally pent up. I just want a resolution and I want it now. Obviously I have preferences; first I'd obviously prefer local ownership, but would accept relocation, and while folding would be a complete and total death blow to my interest in all sports, I will take it. The last thing I want is one more year without resolution.

1. Sell locally
2. Sell for relo
3. Fold
4. Additional lame duck year
What's the appeal of emotionally following the team on a relocation? And what's the appeal of staying 5 or 6 years on when OEL/Yandle/etc have been traded?

It seems to me like you're staying Facebook friends with a girl who broke up wih you and looking at pictures of her with her new man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad