Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think the main point is he didn't have to sign right now. He could have waited it out. He'd still be the first choice here a month from now. Either he knows something more about the ownership situation or doesn't care. I don't think his signing fits into any conspiracy theories. Maloney doesn't seem like the kind of person that would allow himself to be used that way, especially to screw over the fans and city that have been good to him and that he respects.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We have to ask, why would DM sign now? DM must think the team is staying, has an out if they do not stay, or is comfortable with the new destination. The NHL must know where the new potential location is by now, just in case. Also, if the deal with Gosbee goes through and an agreement is worked out with COG, Gosbee might have wanted the GM secured. The reason being, the COG piece and all the loose ends could easily drag into the summer past the point that DM would be a free agent.

DM can't be too worried about being a GM for another club, those positions open up from time to time, maybe a year or two down the road, so i doubt he was desperate to be 1 of 30 GM's. Gosbee on the other hand as 1 of 30 owners, those ownership is a lot harder to come by, which is why I think this all leads to the team staying.

It will be interesting to see if they sign Tip in the next week or two. I assume he would be privy to the same information and out clause that DM would have received. Tip might be tougher as coaching jobs are open now and open more often then GM jobs. The next few weeks will be interesting...

zz

Nov 1, 2006
When you're comfortable managing a team with no budget & no future for 4 years, you're pretty much comfortable managing any team, anywhere.

Quebec and Seattle are both good places to live, or at least no worse than Phoenix.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Maloney signing really marginalized any conspiracy theories for me. The NHL would not have gone that far just to make their con that much more believable for one measily weekend.

Maloney is the stability factor. They have the draft coming up and they need someone like Maloney in place to coordinate it.

That.... and a recent article indicated all the current suitors want the current front office to remain intact.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
When you're comfortable managing a team with no budget & no future for 4 years, you're pretty much comfortable managing any team, anywhere.

Quebec and Seattle are both good places to live, or at least no worse than Phoenix.

I agree about DM being comfortable as a GM in any situation. However, the weather is nasty in both Seattle and Quebec. One place it is over cast and rains all the time, the other is brutally cold in the winter. They are both way worse then Phoenix, not even close. I bet they are staying or he has an option out.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
I agree about DM being comfortable as a GM in any situation. However, the weather is nasty in both Seattle and Quebec. One place it is over cast and rains all the time, the other is brutally cold in the winter. They are both way worse then Phoenix, not even close. I bet they are staying or he has an option out.

Someone is forgetting that Phoenix is brutally hot in the summer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Try living and doing things when its -20F plus the wind chill. I have experienced both, give me the heat any day.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011

But as a hockey coach, you're probably not stuck in Phoenix for the hottest parts of the summer! Whereas the cold yucky part of the year for Seattle and Quebec would happen to fall directly in the part of the year when a hockey coach would have to be there.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Trend is there

If you look at Tipp's coaching record he seems to like the heat. All the teams he has coached have been in the Sun Belt. I believe he is a big biker and really enjoys riding in the winter.

coached
Houston Aeros, Los Angeles Kings, Dallas Stars and Coyotes.

Trend is from 1994 to present. Not saying he won't coach in the cold but he seems to prefer the sun.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 14m
The NHL and Gosbee\LeBlanc are hoping to meet with Glendale mayor and councillors tomorrow to discuss arena lease + pitch to buy Coyotes.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 13m
The Glendale meeting is informal and not in conjunction with a city council session. Designed to give city full breakdown of proposals.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@ToddWalsh: Potential #coyotes owner Anthony LeBlanc and investors w RSE at #Dbacks game. Suite level...he knows a guy. Big day tomorrow in Glendale."

I am here, should go poking around

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
I think you found the reason why

Tippet stays where it is warm.

Then again, Tippett is Canadian and grew up in Saskatchewan...

so the same reason as the thousands of other Canadian residents of Phoenix metro area.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Big day today.

Doubt we will hear a peep from either the NHL or CoG though. They'll be side stepping the open meeting laws as to make sure we are kept in the dark.

DirtDogMesa

STH Sec 208 Row A
Oct 10, 2011
Mesa
Try living and doing things when its -20F plus the wind chill. I have experienced both, give me the heat any day.

I concur, I've never had to shovel heat out of my driveway to get my vehicle out to get to work etc. Outdoor activities available 365 days a year and don't have fish through a hole in the ice ever.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
BLXYjkbCQAETeD1.jpg:large

Let the negotiations begin. My prediction, Glendale will be asked to pay a fee near their $6 million plus maintenance costs on Jobing which could be around $2 million in year one due to it needing a new roof. RSE will then make up for the shortfall in creating a taxing district at Westgate in which I don't know how much they project. Obviously free parking is a thing of the past in the outer lots and my precious Lot G wont be $10 anymore. I don't know if its doable, but I do know the session with Norma Alvarez will be a riot; especially if she brings her mysterious "phone adviser" you can hear when she phones in her votes.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/20100611ice-edge-phoenix-coyotes-deal.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad