Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
A few points everyone should be mindful of:

1) This saga will never end

2) We have a thread to discuss the Coyotes ownership situation. But for very few circumstances, discussion of the ownership situation in other threads is off-topic and will be deleted. It will likely also come with infractions and thread bans.

3) Dissent is allowed and even encouraged. But be civil. You can disagree without being disagreeable. You can attack posts but not posters. Play nice. I know there is a lot of tension, but don't make it worse.

4) If you deem something to be trolling or incendiary or anything like that, don't reduce yourself to that level. Report the offending post and don't respond to it.

5) This is a board for Coyotes fans. If what you've come here to post will just rile people up without adding much or anything to the conversation, your post will likely be deleted and you could find yourself with a threadban or an infraction. If you'd like to discuss this topic through a different lens, try the Business of Hockey board.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Today at around four o'clock might actually be a big deal in the process. That's when the agenda for Tuesday's Glendale City Council meeting will be released. It's the las meeting before the RFP submissions ar due. The NHL has already confirmed that they will not be part of a bidding process for arena management. They most certainly will not be a tenant of a third party manager, either. If the NHL s not scheduled on today's agenda for Tuesdays meeting to make their case for a sole source management contract it would seem they aren't actually planning on operating an NHL club in Glendale next season. If there is nothing NHL related on he agenda hat comes out in six or so hours, I'd say that's pretty telling.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Today at around four o'clock might actually be a big deal in the process. That's when the agenda for Tuesday's Glendale City Council meeting will be released. It's the las meeting before the RFP submissions ar due. The NHL has already confirmed that they will not be part of a bidding process for arena management. They most certainly will not be a tenant of a third party manager, either. If the NHL s not scheduled on today's agenda for Tuesdays meeting to make their case for a sole source management contract it would seem they aren't actually planning on operating an NHL club in Glendale next season. If there is nothing NHL related on he agenda hat comes out in six or so hours, I'd say that's pretty telling.

I don't believe we will hear anything. These magical bids are due to Beacon by the 31st and they will pass on their recommendations afterwards, perhaps at a workshop on June 4th? However, the contract allows the city to keep expanding the deadline until they are blue in the face. I think a lot is being made about the lease between Jobing and the NHL. That thing has been extended by a month before, whats to stop it now?

So another question. The NHL was paid $25 million in 2010/2011, $20 million is in escrow to use from 2011/2012, and 2012/2013 didn't include a management fee from my understanding. Now from this old article, sources indicated the Coyotes lost "between $10-$15 million". I assume that is not taking into account the $20 million in escrow meant for the 2012 season. How much could have been lost this year and what is a reasonable amount to assume moving forward?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...t-group-nearing-agreement-to-purchase-coyotes

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I know but it sounded catchy, the other one suggested was foreshadowing being shot in the head so I am open to suggestions.
That will be the most action The Job sees in this or any future summers until we have a budget more than $20 above the cap floor. Candy's dog ... Candy's dog ... Candy's dog ... Candy's dog ...

Failing that, Lenny's love of - and unfortunate habit of smothering - small animals is worth exploring.

I have the day off from work so I'll have my eyes peeled. Anyone ever been to a Glendale city council meeting?

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
That will be the most action The Job sees in this or any future summers until we have a budget more than $20 above the cap floor. Candy's dog ... Candy's dog ... Candy's dog ... Candy's dog ...

I have the day off from work so I'll have my eyes peeled. Anyone ever been to a Glendale city council meeting?

Yes, between the loones that disagree with everything and the endless debates between people that have their minds already made up, its a blast.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Haha, lovely. So as I ponder the worst, what happens to The Job? Are we sitting here a year from now reading about Roadrunners Part V? Be the best AHL arena ever. Indoor soccer? Revive that old show BattleBots full time?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't believe we will hear anything. These magical bids are due to Beacon by the 31st and they will pass on their recommendations afterwards, perhaps at a workshop on June 4th? However, the contract allows the city to keep expanding the deadline until they are blue in the face. I think a lot is being made about the lease between Jobing and the NHL. That thing has been extended by a month before, whats to stop it now?

So another question. The NHL was paid $25 million in 2010/2011, $20 million is in escrow to use from 2011/2012, and 2012/2013 didn't include a management fee from my understanding. Now from this old article, sources indicated the Coyotes lost "between $10-$15 million". I assume that is not taking into account the $20 million in escrow meant for the 2012 season. How much could have been lost this year and what is a reasonable amount to assume moving forward?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...t-group-nearing-agreement-to-purchase-coyotes

The NHL will not go into June without a guarantee that they have one facility or another to stick this team. If Glendale can't guarantee a home, Quebec probably can.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
The complete list of events for the next year at Jobing.com Arena:
Taylor Swift RED Tour May 28, 2013, 7:00 PM
Taylor Swift RED Tour May 29, 2013, 7:00 PM
New Kids On The Block, 98 Degrees and Boyz II Men Jul 14, 2013, 7:30 PM
Nitro Circus Live! Jan 24, 2014, 7:30 PM

http://www.jobingarena.com/

I think they got room

Nothing new but things I caught from Craig Morgan's interview just now on 910:

1. Doesn't think the NHL views May 31st as a hard deadline.
2. Every ownership group in play believes in Dave Tippett.
3. Talked about the risk in signing Mike Smith.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
1. Doesn't think the NHL views May 31st as a hard deadline.

Not really relevant, as outlined by rt. The NHL will not go into the draft without an arena agreement. Whether that is here, or in QC. The former requires a lengthy political process absent the option being picked up, which has nothing to do with the RFPs.

Meanwhile, Quebecor purchased an arena management company and says that the Colisee will be NHL ready for 2013-14

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/quebecor-acquires-gestev-tsx-qbr.a-1794745.htm

The old Colisée will undergo some renovations in the next months and will be ready for NHL level hockey by October 2013. In the upcoming few days the city will publish it's RFP for the renovation of the players and official dressing rooms. A bit later, ice refrigeration and air climate control will be published aswell. Those two items are believed to be done by October.

http://argent.canoe.ca/nouvelles/le...ra-pret-pour-une-franchise-de-la-lnh-23052013

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@PaulGiblinAriz: #NHL commissioner scheduled meetings with #Glendale City Council 15 minutes ago for Tuesday. Mayor expects #Coyotes ownership update."

"@PaulGiblinAriz: #Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers told #NHL's Bettman three weeks ago not schedule a meeting until #Coyotes ownership was in place."

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz 5m
"Sources also telling me that the NHL and Gosbee/LeBlanc (Renaissance Sports & Entertainment) have agreed to a deal for #Coyotes purchase."

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
There is reason to be hopeful for Tuesday. There is no reason to be hopeful for anything after Tuesday.

I understand all of the skepticism, it is more than warranted after all of the disappointment.

I honestly have no idea how Giblin derived that conclusion either, but having some hope is never a bad thing.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz 5m
"Sources also telling me that the NHL and Gosbee/LeBlanc (Renaissance Sports & Entertainment) have agreed to a deal for #Coyotes purchase."

Awesome news! I just hope this light we are seeing at the end of the tunnel isn't a train coming.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A deal is not a deal without a lease. RSE has indicated they want $14-15m a year in the past. The city can't do that. Tuesday could be either a funeral pyre or a celebration. Funny how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad