Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I think we may get a feeling on if a deal is doable today. Even in a perfect world, with lawyers and council sessions, I think an actual vote is a month away. Unless they do a formal accept a bid vote sooner and then push a final terms vote to later. Either way, another painful night of GlendaleTV is coming.

Edit: an actual speculation date:

"@PaulGiblinAriz: The #Glendale City Council will not make any decisions about the #Coyotes or #Jobing.Com Arena today. That probably will come on June 25."

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just the same ol same ol crap going on. It's a good thing I'm not the kind of person that gets caught up in the propaganda.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Let the negotiations begin. My prediction, Glendale will be asked to pay a fee near their $6 million plus maintenance costs on Jobing which could be around $2 million in year one due to it needing a new roof. RSE will then make up for the shortfall in creating a taxing district at Westgate in which I don't know how much they project. Obviously free parking is a thing of the past in the outer lots and my precious Lot G wont be $10 anymore. I don't know if its doable, but I do know the session with Norma Alvarez will be a riot; especially if she brings her mysterious "phone adviser" you can hear when she phones in her votes.

There is definitely a chance that the NHL and Gosbee group have decided on some creative ways that the city can "find" some extra money for them. The kind of slick, sneaky stuff you don't want on the record. The kind of stuff you might want to subvert the open meeting laws in order to discuss. Not the kind of things you want to disclose to the public without the proper amount of coaching and sugar coating.

I could see CoG going for it. They don't want to be the group that is remembered for kicking the Coyotes out of Glendale. I think they are very, very scared to do any drastic. I think they'd prefer to bury their heads in the sand and simply blame the last council for putting them in this spot.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think we may get a feeling on if a deal is doable today. Even in a perfect world, with lawyers and council sessions, I think an actual vote is a month away. Unless they do a formal accept a bid vote sooner and then push a final terms vote to later. Either way, another painful night of GlendaleTV is coming.

The NHL has to at least know that they'll be able to play home games in Glendale next season by the end of this week or they'll need to relocate to Quebec. If COG can assure the NHL they'll fork over at least six million for another season, than the league can probably relax and try to work out a long-term deal. If they can't get venue certainty by the end of the week, though, they'll have no choice but to relocate.

rt

May 13, 2004
BoH thread is tracking Gary's jet again. They stated it's scheduled to depart at 2:30pm today to head off to the SJS/LAK game seven. What time is that Maloney presser supposed to be? Sounds like maybe nobody will be making any comments to the media today concerning the ownership/arena situation in Glendale. I wonder if Weiers will be able to keep himself from spouting off. I don't think the NHL has any interest in divulging anything at all at this point. LeBlanc has a pretty big mouth, too. Maybe we get some tweets from him?

rt

May 13, 2004
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz 44 s Weiers: "It's a step in the right direction. Is it a step far enough? I don't know."

Sheesh. It's 5/28/13 and the NHL is flying to Los Angeles, and all we've seen done today is somebody take "a step". Meh, what's the rush? It's only May 28th, right?

Edit: Morgan also mentioned that the meeting with Weiers was 45mins long.

Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
BoH thread is tracking Gary's jet again. They stated it's scheduled to depart at 2:30pm today to head off to the SJS/LAK game seven. What time is that Maloney presser supposed to be? Sounds like maybe nobody will be making any comments to the media today concerning the ownership/arena situation in Glendale. I wonder if Weiers will be able to keep himself from spouting off. I don't think the NHL has any interest in divulging anything at all at this point. LeBlanc has a pretty big mouth, too. Maybe we get some tweets from him?

Correct, Daly might be at DM's presser but they said on Friday that it would be all about him and zero talk will be about today's meeting with Glendale.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

The only time given the mess we are in I can find it excuseable for Gary Bettman to be at another game is if he in a position where he has to hand the cup to a team. Other than that, his energy should be focused more towards getting something done. This joke continues on.

DirtDogMesa

STH Sec 208 Row A
Oct 10, 2011
Mesa
"Obviously free parking is a thing of the past in the outer lots and my precious Lot G wont be $10 anymore."

If they do start charging for parking that will bring an end to my STH commitment, to much open space in this state for that BS, I alwayss ask the ticket rep about parking and they always pass the buck and are non committal. 95 mile round trip on game days + 40 miles on weekday games I'll eat the gas and maintenance, throw parking at me and its cable or satellite tv time for me until post season games start.
Man posting from a phone bites
aab

Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Personally, I have to pay for parking at UofA and Dbacks games so I am accustomed to forking over $10 a pop. But if you are a regular who attends 40+ games a year, that cost could equal almost the same amount as your season seats. I think the Cardinals give out passes to their season ticket holders and single game ticket fans pay at the other lots; in theory. So perhaps that is the first step. Charge single game fans $10 or perhaps validate parking if they visit a Westgate shop. I think something like that is in place for other events but could be wrong.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
A few errors in this article but it gives a break to Gosbee watch 2013:

Despite reported sale approval, Pastor prepares another offer

Pastor's first offer to the NHL was for a proposed 15-year period to make payments for a total of between $202.5 and $277.5 million, which the NHL rejected in three days. A source close to the league explained that those “elements” were that the league wants a buyer to purchase the team in three to five years for the asking price of $150 million.

Sources within the city have said that they thought Pastor's offer was great for both the NHL and city, and cannot understand why it was rejected.

http://www.glendalestar.com/sports/article_ec89e008-c7c7-11e2-9b6a-001a4bcf887a.html

That last sentence is what could derail this whole thing.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
So I guess the gap between the two "managment fees" is still 8-9 M, right; that doesn't seem to be such a huge chasm that would sink a deal that the league has already approved.

Are we going to find out in a few hours, whenever these meetings between Renaissance and Glendale come to and end?

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@goldencanuck: Glendale Mayor without much to say amid meetings. More accurately, nothing he's "allowed" to say. We wait for NHL or Renaissance."

"@goldencanuck: Leblanc says meetings positive with Glendale today and they look forward (if a deal) to working with them."

Might be all that we get today.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A few errors in this article but it gives a break to Gosbee watch 2013:

Despite reported sale approval, Pastor prepares another offer

http://www.glendalestar.com/sports/article_ec89e008-c7c7-11e2-9b6a-001a4bcf887a.html

That last sentence is what could derail this whole thing.
A couple of interesting things from that comment, first off the difference between 202 and 277 million is pretty freaking large, how could there be that much disparity in essentially a 15 year loan? That said, 202 million is still a cool $50 million more than their asking price but considering the NHL rejected it quickly they clearly have zero interest in subsidizing anyone for more than a few years, even it it will pay them considerably more money. Lastly, if this is true then it means the league has come down from the $170 million price tag some swore they'd never budge from...granted, that's still inflated but it's certainly less inflated.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I fell asleep during this class but I think the future value of $150M at a 2 or 3% interest rate comes out to be that number between $200-$277 million. Again, I could be wrong but his bid was basically asking for a loan from the NHL with an extremely low interest rate.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
“The City Council will not be making a decision regarding the Coyotes until all pertinent information has been collected and reviewed and all the available options have been thoroughly studied. This includes several bids the city is expected to receive this Friday (May 31) from qualified venue managers interested in operating the city owned Jobing.com Arena. Glendale is committed to moving forward on a plan that is in the best interests of our city and our citizens.”

The deadline is Friday for the bidding process, which is open to potential Coyotes owners and non-Coyotes owners alike, a clear indication that the City Council is willing to consider untying team ownership from arena management.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...oyotes-buyers-meet-at-glendale-city-hall.html

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

"@PaulGiblinAriz: The #Glendale City Council will not make any decisions about the #Coyotes or #Jobing.Com Arena today. That probably will come on June 25.

Are we the only ones around here that understand the NHL calendar? The league is going to wait another month without a lease for no guarantee that the team will be staying? Are you ****ing kidding me Glendale? If you want this to end, just end it. Pushing this back constantly and uncorking those RFP bids is the de facto end.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sounds like the COG is calling the NHL's bluff.

A bluff is where the other guy has nothing. Make no mistake, the NHL will move this team. When those RFP bids hit, it will be impossible to sneak RSE the AMF they want. They aren't bidders in that process, either, for good reason. Their bid simply wouldn't be competitive. Having a contractual price established on what someone is willing to manage the arena for opens the city (and the league) up to a legal challenge if they pay too much. If Giblin is to be believed, a decision on whether or not to even proceed on a new lease - a process which itself can take up a great deal of time due to legal proceedings - won't even be made until the end of June.

This is pure lunacy.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@azc_mclellan: Daly releases statement on today's meetings in Glendale essentially saying they were productive. All involved want to keep team in Glendale."

"@azc_mclellan: Daly also notes he expects Renaissance group will start to meet with city to negotiate lease agreement for arena."

Positive news since they are moving forward.
"@cmorganfoxaz: As expected, everyone involved today called the meetings productive, positive or some other bland adjective that provided no details."

"@cmorganfoxaz: This was not a day for news. This was a day for preliminary talks before the sides begin more substantive meetings."

rt

May 13, 2004
"This was a day for preliminary talks before the sides begin more substantive meetings."

Astounding. May 28th is a day for "preliminary" talks? REALLY?!?!?

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"We had a number of constructive meetings today with the Mayor, various members of the City Council and the acting City Manager. Everyone involved in today's discussions shares the desire and ultimate objective of transitioning the ownership of the Coyotes and safeguarding the franchise's long-term future in Glendale. We expect that representatives from the Renaissance group will begin meeting with the City to see if a mutually agreeable lease arrangement can be forged expeditiously. We will have no further comment pending completion of that process."

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672275

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad