Ownership Commitment to Winning

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
From all accounts all three were offered more than fair contracts...not sure what anyone else expects if none of them wanted to stick around for a rebuild. I don't blame them for leaving, and perhaps it was even for other reasons like not liking Melnyk...but those are different issues and have nothing to do with whether or not management was willing to spend some money. Anyway that's neither here nor there now as it's all been torn down....not much point in spending now.

Were they offered all fair contracts, together? Or like if 2 of them signed could we not afford the third? And then how do we actually add more players to make us better?

Reactions: Juvenators

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Dorion insisted money wasn’t why he has had to trade Erik Karlsson, Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel and Mark Stone in the past five hellish months. - This guy is smoking the best weed in Ottawa or needs to be taken to the Royal Ottawa Hospital via ambulance immediately! He lies worse then the Iraqi Minster of Information "Bagdad Bob" .

This is the biggest con job in the NHL and am surprised the NHL can allow Melynk's con job to continue much longer.

I hope mainstream NHL media start to make Melynk and the team it's new whipping boy. Is time for this franchise to be held accountable for it's actions.

To all the naive fans who beleive this B.S. should send me all their money cause you are all getting hosed.

R2010

May 23, 2011
What would be the next step for the team IF we actually believed this was a rebuild and not a means of cutting costs under the cover of a rebuild? To me these steps are all doable and would actually show some level of commitment:
1) Hire another assistant GM
2) Hire a good new coach on a 3-4 year contract
3) Hire additional scouts/analytics
4) Take back a bad contract for a draft pick or player

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
What would be the next step for the team IF we actually believed this was a rebuild and not a means of cutting costs under the cover of a rebuild? To me these steps are all doable and would actually show some level of commitment:
1) Hire another assistant GM
2) Hire a good new coach on a 3-4 year contract
3) Hire additional scouts/analytics
4) Take back a bad contract for a draft pick or player

Hire a damn President to take the microphone away from Pierre from Orleans is step 1.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I think step 2 (fire GB, sign best coach available) is most critical going forward.
At list it shows, they are serious. If they extend GB, cause they think he is the one for young players, then its time to shut the lights.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It is horrible when it prevents you from signing your three star players. Melnyk can't afford to ice a competitive team with a $85+ million cap, which is where it will be soon.

Another way of looking at this is this market cannot afford to ice a competitive team with an 85+ million cap.

And this is a problem.

Idk why there is an expectation that it is on Melnyk to float the gap between revenues and where expenses would be spending to the cap plus beefed up operations.

I am not going to say people are bad fans, i don't go often enough myself. But this market is collapsing and there is a risk that it becomes unsustainable.

Hopefully by Thursday we have some positive news

Reactions: coladin

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think step 2 (fire GB, sign best coach available) is most critical going forward.
At list it shows, they are serious. If they extend GB, cause they think he is the one for young players, then its time to shut the lights.

Five Years of Unparalleled Success is just waiting around the corner.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Bolded bugs the absolute **** out of me.

It wasn't about convincing Stone of the future... it came down to bonus money structure. That's it.

Re: Stone, absolutely not. When superstars' contract structures are bonus-heavy, you as an organization have to keep up to keep your stars home, especially if you're a) a small market; and b) not a contender.

With Duchene, it was more the direction of the team he wasn't happy with, so your point is valid for his case I think.

Please enlighten me Denis how you know what bonus structures were contained in offers to Stone

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hire a damn President to take the microphone away from Pierre from Orleans is step 1.
Ya, that man needs to stay as far away from a microphone as possible. I can't believe that none of the National outlets aren't playing clips from that radio spot, I have never heard anything like it in my 40 years.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think it really matters why Stone left. Either reason is plausible.

1. He makes a shit ton of tax-free money in Vegas.

2. Vegas is more competitive at the moment and is willing to spend closer to the cap.

Does it really matter why he left? If I were him, I'd leave for either or both of those reasons.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

1. He makes a **** ton of tax-free money in Vegas.

2. Vegas is more competitive at the moment and is willing to spend closer to the cap.

Does it really matter why he left? If I were him, I'd leave for either or both of those reasons.
Took only half an hour to negotiate the deal too.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

1. He makes a **** ton of tax-free money in Vegas.

I would too but I think the root of the problem stems from how frequently this happens and how the organization built such a toxic environment that is now being inherited by the younger players on the team

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Dorion insisted money wasn’t why he has had to trade Erik Karlsson, Matt Duchene, Ryan Dzingel and Mark Stone in the past five hellish months. - This guy is smoking the best weed in Ottawa or needs to be taken to the Royal Ottawa Hospital via ambulance immediately! He lies worse then the Iraqi Minster of Information "Bagdad Bob" .

This is the biggest con job in the NHL and am surprised the NHL can allow Melynk's con job to continue much longer.

I hope mainstream NHL media start to make Melynk and the team it's new whipping boy. Is time for this franchise to be held accountable for it's actions.

To all the naive fans who beleive this B.S. should send me all their money cause you are all getting hosed.

You want the NHL to do something about this?

If PD and EM stand at the podium and categorically state that the problem is money and that as a small market they can't pay the freight and can't compete with a CBA that allows bonus heavy contracts, they have in effect made their problem Gary's problem.

And you used the word naive?

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
You want the NHL to do something about this?

If PD and EM stand at the podium and categorically state that the problem is money and that as a small market they can't pay the freight and can't compete with a CBA that allows bonus heavy contracts, they have in effect made their problem Gary's problem.

And you used the word naive?
You sure loving these deals aren't you...

Reactions: Engineer and bert

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would too but I think the root of the problem stems from how frequently this happens and how the organization built such a toxic environment that is now being inherited by the younger players on the team

This cycle isn't going to end until there's new ownership.

Period.

We all know this.

Whether you think it's Melnyk's fault or not, the fanbase has turned on him and no longer trusts a word out of his mouth, and they're going to spend their dollars elsewhere.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This cycle isn't going to end until there's new ownership.

Period.

We all know this.

Whether you think it's Melnyk's fault or not, the fanbase has turned on him and no longer trusts a word out of his mouth, and they're going to spend their dollars elsewhere.
I agree.

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
It'd be real nice if all - hell, even just some of those saved dollars were invested back into the team. I don't get how anyone can buy this crock of a rebuild to 'bring Stanley home' with the visionaries (well that tasted like vomit) leading this team. It's a literal evolving joke. You can argue Pierre's merit with scouting, but that's the closest semblance to a "hockey mind" in this organization.

We need an identity again. Well, a respectable one, and that starts at the top... As we're seeing right now. I can deal with garbage teams and cheap coaches and the likes, but we're walking into a labyrinth of magnets with a compass in both hands. Until we get someone who can change that culture, meh.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Please enlighten me Denis how you know what bonus structures were contained in offers to Stone

Mark Stone says contract talks are about to heat up with Senators
When the Senators signed Stone to a one-year contract extension to avoid arbitration in August, the two sides weren’t that far apart on a deal. It’s believed the framework of a long-term extension was close, but one of the big issues they had to overcome was structure.

And some more general reading on the topic:

Mark Stone’s One-Year Deal Signals The End Of His Time With Senators [Opinion]
After all, this is the same team that refused to front-load Karlsson's deal because they could't afford the signing bonuses. Why would anyone expect things to go any differently in Stone's case?

How signing bonuses impact Senators' chances of keeping Duchene, Stone - Sportsnet.ca

There are some term specifics from various levels of "insiders", but I don't have time to look further, and you'll just call it rumour if I do find it.

But you get the gist of it. It's pretty well-known.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Just like your reasoning

I posted a very legitimate issue

bettman is on record recently as saying he isn't looking for a fight

If PD and EM stand at a podium and wax about their inability to compete in the current market, it creates a public problem out of something that is certainly being discussed privately.

I'm sorry the point is lost on you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad