Ownership Commitment to Winning

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It was on TSN, wasn't on TSN 1200 for some reason. Apparently, they expect to have Dorion join them for a live interview soon on 1200.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Question:

"How long until this team gets back to respectability?"

"We're seeing growing pains this year. These players are being given a big chance to be a part of success. As early as next year, we'll see growth - we'll be vastly improved with the players we've acquired. (WTF?) An opportunity for young players to get more ice time, other players to step up and produce more. We're confident about the direction we are heading in."

There it is again “we’ll be vastly improved with the players we’ve acquired”. Audacity, thy name is Dorion!

Reactions: DrEasy

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
When Shanny and Lamoriello arrived in Toronto. They were open with fans and media and told everybody and "We're going to tear it down and build it back up through the draft". It made sense because the team wasn't not going anywhere and they qualified for the playoffs one or twice in the previous 10 years. They've been waiting for 50 years, they can wait another 3, 4 for a rebuild.

Here, we threw away the last 10 years it took to build a team that was a goal away from the SCF because of one bad month of hockey. All of our players were in their prime, we just needed to fix the goaltending and shore up the D. But no, Melnyk wanted to have the same thing Toronto had.

And the worst in all this is that management and ownership is treating the fans like we're idiots. We have a plan, trust us, be patient, we know what we're doing but the first time we heard the word rebuild was on the first day of training camp. This rebuild should have been done in 2009-10, about the same time Melnyk told the fans that thought we should tear it dwn to blow themselves up.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Man I was kinda hoping to see the fun of a certain few positive posters take on everything now that the dust has settled but unfortunately they are absent. Maybe renewing or ordering season tickets I guess.

Well I'll chime in...i haven't been reading or posting much lately...truth be told this place wears me down.

And i'm still on the same message....this market isn't generating enough revenue ...Melnyk bought the team and had debt as part of that purchase...that debt has grown significantly...if some believe it has grown because of accounting tricks or Melnyk lining his pockets, you're welcome to believe that. I don't. And I am more inclined to trust my background than random group internet think.

This franchise's future wasn't changed today. If it is going to change, the deadline for that is Thursday. The mediation talks are far more important to this franchise than what happened over the past few days.

As for actually talking about hockey, this used to be the place for that. Those days sadly appear gone.

There are legitimate reasons for this fanbase to be angry. I can't think of any poster here that hasn't expressed an interest in seeing an Ownership change. But i'll leave all of the profound negativity to guys like you.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The owner is not committed to winning whatsoever, his only committment is to himself via raising the value of the franchise thanks to Lebreton and Seattle expansion fee.

A pathetic old man who had a near-death experience, fired the man who set up the campaign to save his life, blaming his customers for his inability to finance a new arena.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well I'll chime in...i haven't been reading or posting much lately...truth be told this place wears me down.

And i'm still on the same message....this market isn't generating enough revenue ...Melnyk bought the team and had debt as part of that purchase...that debt has grown significantly...if some believe it has grown because of accounting tricks or Melnyk lining his pockets, you're welcome to believe that. I don't. And I am more inclined to trust my background than random group internet think.

This franchise's future wasn't changed today. If it is going to change, the deadline for that is Thursday. The mediation talks are far more important to this franchise than what happened over the past few days.

As for actually talking about hockey, this used to be the place for that. Those days sadly appear gone.

There are legitimate reasons for this fanbase to be angry. I can't think of any poster here that hasn't expressed an interest in seeing an Ownership change. But i'll leave all of the profound negativity to guys like you.

I won’t address everything because I think it’s been discussed to death but I wouldn’t say Melnyk is lining his pockets either. I think he is trying to hold onto to this team as long as he can to get the franchise value at his highest before he wants to sell.

I also think he’s a conman and he ran his con for a good while but now it’s starting to catch up with him.

My profound negativity will be gone soon enough I’ll know you’ll miss it. :D I’m hanging around a bit to just talk about the aftermath now that the firesale is complete but like I said I am out. As with anything after while you get used to change and I’m sure I’ll eventually adjust to no more Sens hockey.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
But what it takes to field a competitive team has changed, and Melnyk hasn't kept up to it.

yeah, idk, I'd actually like to know the numbers cap wise but cant seem to find anything online past 2 years ago...I realize they haven't spent to the cap going back quite a few years. But for a small/medium sized market I've not thought the spending was all that horrible either.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

I believe this. The management team isn’t in a position to tell it like it is. When Melnyk expressed the market limitations at the outdoor game, he was emotional and came off as menacing. Dorion’s not going to threaten fans by saying they need people to attend games to stay afloat. He’s going to encourage people to buy tickets.

This city isn’t big enough to ice a contender while season ticket holders are quitting in droves. If it gets worse, it won’t be big enough to ice a team at all.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
yeah, idk, I'd actually like to know the numbers cap wise but cant seem to find anything online past 2 years ago...I realize they haven't spent to the cap going back quite a few years. But for a small/medium sized market I've not thought the spending was all that horrible either.

It is horrible when it prevents you from signing your three star players. Melnyk can't afford to ice a competitive team with a $85+ million cap, which is where it will be soon.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
It is horrible when it prevents you from signing your three star players. Melnyk can't afford to ice a competitive team with a $85+ million cap, which is where it will be soon.

From all accounts all three were offered more than fair contracts...not sure what anyone else expects if none of them wanted to stick around for a rebuild. I don't blame them for leaving, and perhaps it was even for other reasons like not liking Melnyk...but those are different issues and have nothing to do with whether or not management was willing to spend some money. Anyway that's neither here nor there now as it's all been torn down....not much point in spending now.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Dorion thanks Melnyk for supporting the rebuild.

Also on Stone:

"I'm sorry we couldn't convince him to stay."

1. "We are leaning on the Pageaus, the Boros, Cecis, the Smiths to show the way."

2. "We are investing in our young players (names everyone). Giving them all a big chance to succeed."

3. "Leverage our pipeline of prospects - picks - improve our draft position in years to come."

4. Understand how frustrated some of our fans feel. In time, we trust they will remember that one-time ago, Phillips, Redden, Alfie, Fisher were also just prospects.

Bolded bugs the absolute shit out of me.

It wasn't about convincing Stone of the future... it came down to bonus money structure. That's it.

From all accounts all three were offered more than fair contracts...not sure what anyone else expects if none of them wanted to stick around for a rebuild. I don't blame them for leaving, and perhaps it was even for other reasons like not liking Melnyk...but those are different issues and have nothing to do with whether or not management was willing to spend some money. Anyway that's neither here nor there now as it's all been torn down....not much point in spending now.

Re: Stone, absolutely not. When superstars' contract structures are bonus-heavy, you as an organization have to keep up to keep your stars home, especially if you're a) a small market; and b) not a contender.

With Duchene, it was more the direction of the team he wasn't happy with, so your point is valid for his case I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad