Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
im not going to waste my time arguing about Guzda.. he is way to inconsistent.. he has “moments” were he looks good, but way to often he looks bad..

Just to be clear, my comment wasn't about Guzda's play, it was about your comments. You seemed surprised that other posters called you out regarding you inconsistency with regards to when and when you don't comment on the team, this is all.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Goure reminds me of Suzuki, always circling, staying out of the thick of things waiting for the puck to get dished out. Not a physical player but smart. He is starting to get more confidence resulting in getting more opportunities and points.

Hes the best player they have taken since Suzuki IMO. He's the best rookie that never gets any love for some reason.

owensoundfan2020

Feb 28, 2020
Goure should defiantly be one of the top players on the team next year. What changes do you see for next year? Lines? PP? PK? New players? With a few guys leaving there defiantly needs to be some changes. Any surprises you think may occur? I sure hope they are doing some serious scouting for next season.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
It’s nice that erie and the soo lost. Though I’m not convinced that this team can pull off any type of upset, playoff experience is always a good thing

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Hey anyone who can make it to the game and wants two tickets dm me. I was hoping to make it but the weather says not. Youll have to pick up at box office.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack did not get outplayed.

They did shoot themselves in the skate.

Unbelievably, they give up 11 goals 2 games and finish the week with 3 of 4 points.

Go figure.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
The PP is brutal. No sustained pressure in the offensive zone. The call on Kirwin was tough but the PK was great. Officiating was puzzling for sure. Oh well, a point against the Rangers is more than I thought they would get.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The PP is brutal. No sustained pressure in the offensive zone. The call on Kirwin was tough but the PK was great. Officiating was puzzling for sure. Oh well, a point against the Rangers is more than I thought they would get.

They should have had 2 pts.

Until the power play becomes an offensive threat, I'd prefer if they'd use 2 defensemen-
3 pp in 3rd period, 3 shots total and a short handed goal given up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Attackfan2020

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tonight's game versus the Rangers was another in the long list of games that showed that 60+ minutes played was something that hadn't translated to a full 60 minute effort.

Let's not fool ourselves here the guys got outworked by a better team, we were lucky to get to overtime and shootout. Hopefully a learning curve for the guys that you can't sit back on any lead and no lead is safe until the final buzzer goes.

Reactions: Attackfan2020

Attackfan2020

Feb 22, 2020
owen sound
Our boys had a very good 1st period. Kitchener was pretty frustrated at the end of the period but they shook it off and were ready to play in the 2nd. Unfortunately our boys let there foot off the gas and started to fall apart. Kirwin's penalty was a joke. So many missed calls after that as well. Even though Guzda let the 2 goals in on the shootout, they never would have gotten that far without him. He made some great saves. With 2 back to back power plays near the end of the 3rd, we had the opportunity to win but couldn't do it. Consistency once again bit us. Not an easy schedule for the rest of the season.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Our boys had a very good 1st period. Kitchener was pretty frustrated at the end of the period but they shook it off and were ready to play in the 2nd. Unfortunately our boys let there foot off the gas and started to fall apart. Kirwin's penalty was a joke. So many missed calls after that as well. Even though Guzda let the 2 goals in on the shootout, they never would have gotten that far without him. He made some great saves. With 2 back to back power plays near the end of the 3rd, we had the opportunity to win but couldn't do it. Consistency once again bit us. Not an easy schedule for the rest of the season.

I thought he only let in 1, by Hawel.
Damian I missed on their second attempt.

Since we shot first, it was down to our 3rd shooter to score and he didnt.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Didn’t see the game. How did we blow a 3-0 lead? The team defence really needs to buckle down, giving up to many goals of late.. on to the next game

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Didn’t see the game. How did we blow a 3-0 lead? The team defence really needs to buckle down, giving up to many goals of late.. on to the next game

They gave up short, power play was ineffective.

Last edited:

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Until the power play becomes an offensive threat, I'd prefer if they'd use 2 defensemen-
3 pp in 3rd period, 3 shots total and a short handed goal given up.

TV annoucers said PP had been good this year in OS. Checked just now - ranked 4th iin the league and you dont have a top 20 points or goal guy this year. Only 3 teams have given up fewer SHGA this year. Strange complaint.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
TV annoucers said PP had been good this year in OS. Checked just now - ranked 4th iin the league and you dont have a top 20 points or goal guy this year. Only 3 teams have given up fewer SHGA this year. Strange complaint.
PP success very early on in the season is inflating the stats. Those who have watched the team over the past month or two would appreciate the complaint. Entirely valid, IMO.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
PP lost the game last night, simple as that. Sad thing is, the Attack should have had a few more opportunities but I fear they would have been wasted too.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

3 PP in the 3rd, total 3 shots in 6 min and surrendered shortly.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I think what's telling is where the goals were scored from.

Attack...
1) Popov from just inside the faceoff dot (nice goal, team did a good job to work the puck toward the middle of the ice = higher-percentage scoring area).
2) Perimeter shot. Lyle blast from the point is deflected. Yes, it was a PP goal, came off an offensive zone faceoff win, 9 seconds into the PP, it's not like the PP had to gain offensive zone entry and set things up properly, did not have to break down the Rangers PK unit.
3) Perimeter shot. Lyle blast from the point area.
4) Perimeter shot. Chibrikov blast from outside the faceoff circle.

3 perimeter shot goals, only 1 from the middle of the ice. Really, we're lucky we got 3 of those shots from way out past Ingham. In general, Kitchener did a great job neutralizing our speed and keeping the puck to the perimeter. That's the textbook way to play the Attack.

Rangers...
1) Front of the net. Hawel beat our D cleanly to the outside, drove to the net hard.
2) Well inside faceoff dot, on the PP. Rangers broke down our PP unit, great pass from the point right through the middle of the ice, our PK unit was not playing tight enough and did not close down those passing lanes, Damiani no mistake from in close.
3) Front of the net, SH goal. Noel all alone in front. Not sure I like F's on the blueline on the PP, especially when we have guys like Lyle and Robertson with cannons.
4) Slot area. Hawel made a nice move to cut to the middle of the ice.

4 goals from high-percentage scoring areas, mostly from defensive breakdowns (certainly their first and third goals).

They had lots of other good scoring chances from in close. Some of them I have no idea how they stayed out, probably a combo of bad puck luck and Guzda making some good saves.

Have to give Kitchener credit, they erased 2 three-goal leads, on the road. Would not want to face them in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad