Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Would make sense given Burghardt's retirement (very unfortunate) and DD's trading history with Stan.

Would think some form of OA movement would be on the horizon.

Not sure about who and to where for what yet but I don't think DD wants to sit on the OA marry-go-round for any longer than the players do either.

There is no doubt that someone will be involving movement sooner rather than later and with the captaincy spots filled would have to think that anyone who was currently appointed a letter is a no movement guy.

Unfortunately the limited spots for OA's who maybe moved will eventually become smaller and smaller.

Haven't looked at what OA situation the rest of the league has yet but would imagine that there would be a few teams in both categories teams that need a OA and teams needing an OA to fill a role in their rosters.

With us holding 4 at the moment that may put management in a position on which tough decisions will need to be made.

And with SD an KH being named letters would think that there's no plan to move either of them any time soon.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Congrats to Nick Suzuki being named the Captain. Great choice.

The one Hancock goal give and go with Suzuki was a thing of beauty last night. Can't wait to watch that all season long.

Good win. Still some sloppiness out there but it's coming together. FWIW I think Chibs is coming along nicely and plays a pretty sound and simple game. Apparently he dropped the mitts at the end of the game, I had already turned it off but nice to hear about that kind of passion.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Congrats to Nick Suzuki being named the Captain. Great choice.

The one Hancock goal give and go with Suzuki was a thing of beauty last night. Can't wait to watch that all season long.

Good win. Still some sloppiness out there but it's coming together. FWIW I think Chibs is coming along nicely and plays a pretty sound and simple game. Apparently he dropped the mitts at the end of the game, I had already turned it off but nice to hear about that kind of passion.

Igor took a few crosscheck from the Sting OA. I guess he had enough and leveled him .

Amazing how dominant that top line is again .
Lyszczarczyk has filled in nicely .
Durzi is a real treat to watch.

Dale has a tough, tough decision to make regarding OA. How do you give up any of those four ?

Reactions: Noofgoof

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Also a good sign from this game is Mitchell Russell's 2nd and 3rd goals of the season - matching his goal total from all of last year. Hope this is the start of a breakout for him - his development would be huge for this squad.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Pretty solid effort last night. Very good result against an undefeated Sarnia team.
Nice to see a couple of goals from the #10-#22-#11 line. Russell with the bomb from center ice!
Hopeful to see more production from #24 and #27.
Easy to see that with #5 on the backend the D group looked better- with more poise.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Also a good sign from this game is Mitchell Russell's 2nd and 3rd goals of the season - matching his goal total from all of last year. Hope this is the start of a breakout for him - his development would be huge for this squad.

All 3 goals this year have been pretty much garbage time lol; more about luck and/or VERY poor defensive coverage by the other team. I’d love to see him breakout too, but, skill-wise, I haven’t seen him create much at all in the way of offense.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
All 3 goals this year have been pretty much garbage time lol; more about luck and/or VERY poor defensive coverage by the other team. I’d love to see him breakout too, but, skill-wise, I haven’t seen him create much at all in the way of offense.

You're totally right: a weird hometown bounce, a puck the goalie just couldn't squeeze, and well another puck the goalie just couldn't squeeze doesn't exactly inspire confidence. But maybe getting the taste of a few goals boosts his confidence. Hoping he's on the upswing rather than a Brendan Childerly (who some fans will remember had a penchant for hat tricks in the first week of the season then never scoring).

Heard North Bay is in on getting Lyszczarczyk could you guys give me a little scouting report on him?

Short and stocky, but decent speed, clever, great shot, and nose for the net. Already looking like he will be a real impact overage player this year.

Reactions: OSMike

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
If this rumor is accurate AL is a solid depth forward has a lot of skill and upside even as an OA he can be a steady depth forward on any team. The down side is that with league restrictions on OA's one of the OA members has to find a new place that has an OA spot open.

If AL is on his way to a new spot he could fit into any teams system very well if given an opportunity.

The waiting game begins...

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Lazer really seemed lost until he went to pool b of the world Jr's last year and captained his team .
He returned and really excelled, had a decent playoffs as well.
Has been playing on the top line with Suzuki and Hancock .

I'm not sure the team could find a replacement for what he'd fetch in trade.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I can only think that the "unrest" amongst the two OA players (#8 Lazerchuck and #17 Bourque) is very unsettling for not only them but the rest of the veteran players on this team. Both of these players deserve to be in an OHL teams lineup every game as they both can contribute immensely to a teams successes.
On a side note, I cannot believe that #18 Phillips is not included in the leadership group that were appointed "the letters" from this coaching staff! He is a player that has potential to be here for his own OA season (unsigned by LA) next year. IMO, he was a perfect guy to be awarded a letter again this season as to having one taken away (had a letter last year).
He may not say it but I would think he is not all that happy with this happening.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I can only think that the "unrest" amongst the two OA players (#8 Lazerchuck and #17 Bourque) is very unsettling for not only them but the rest of the veteran players on this team. Both of these players deserve to be in an OHL teams lineup every game as they both can contribute immensely to a teams successes.
On a side note, I cannot believe that #18 Phillips is not included in the leadership group that were appointed "the letters" from this coaching staff! He is a player that has potential to be here for his own OA season (unsigned by LA) next year. IMO, he was a perfect guy to be awarded a letter again this season as to having one taken away (had a letter last year).
He may not say it but I would think he is not all that happy with this happening.

Teams can appoint letters to whom ever they choose. It depends who the coaching staff thinks deserves to have one.

Some teams will rotate their assistant letters around depending on game to game basis or even home and road games which I've seen teams do over the years.

Maybe the team thought that MP didn't show enough to appoint him a letter or maybe like most teams there's a pecking order. However with being 19yo anyway you don't need a letter on a jersey to be a leader in the room or on the ice.

There has been many players who have been leaders in this organization over the years that were never appointed captains letters.

Liam Heelis
Robby Mignardi
Brett MacKenzie

To name a few of the senior guys who were leaders but not lettered in there time here.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I know how/why "letters" are given out to players AttackSound. My point is - I find it impossible that #18 Marcus Phillips does not deserve a "letter" on his jersey for this Attack team!
You say "maybe the team thought MP didn't show enough to appoint him a letter or maybe like most teams there's a pecking order"... Really?
We're talking about #18, don't even hint "he hasn't shown enough". Kind of odd wouldn't you say after the guy wore an "A" last season?
- Brett McKenzie was traded here at the deadline of his OA year, here for just over 2 months.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Another late comeback by the Knights. Seen this story before. Ho hum

Edit: haha Fred just said the exact same thing like a minute later lol

Reactions: LDN

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I watched the game with a little more interest last night. Some thoughts.
We have about 10 players who play. I really can't tell you if I saw a 3rd or 4th line out there or catch my eye. I think I noticed #9 once the whole game. #6 don't even think I recall him on ice. #11 and the third line were quiet as well.
We took a lot of shots, but not a lot of quality chances.
Kooy really has our number though, he made some good saves on the quality opportunities we have.
As much as I want a solid D in front of Guzda last night had me thinking that if we trade Lazer there is a big hole in the top 6 which right now with the guys who are out there I don't see a fill in. My hope was Roberts will but that's still an unknown.
I thought Guzda played well. A bit of fault on the 2 goal. I like seeing his comfort level increase, he looks calm playing the puck. BTW I feel that an elite goalie needs to be a good puck manager on the back end. McNiven was one of the best ever at this. It is such a key to the breakout IMO..

Reactions: Pond Hockey

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Think Guzda gets his 7th straight start even though it's a back to back tomorrow or MacLean gets his 1st OHL start?
I was thinking McLean might have gotten the start tonight if we had won last night (even record at 3-3, why not give #1 a rest and try out the rookie on home ice). But with the team struggling now, I think we see Guzda back in net tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad