Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Time for a new coach. The team played well down the stretch last year but I feel Gill is not a very good coach the team looks lost the players seem confused the lines have not been clicking and he never takes any responsibility or explains anything after a loss. I wasnt a fan last year and I can say I am still not a fan. The team has not played to potential and doesnt show any emotion. I know were only 3 games in but I dont like what I see.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Ottawa 4, Nick Suzuki 3.

Way too much talent on this Attack team for the results we're seeing.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
The Attack dominated for most of the second and third. First and last goals were weak. Suzuki was great, could have had a couple more. Need some production from the Dudas line. Lots of chances tonight but no finish.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
DD needs to either trade for a legit goalie (no more dumpster diving)!! If he doesn’t, we’d better see some quality assets acquired for Suzuki and others.

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
DD needs to either trade for a legit goalie (no more dumpster diving)!! If he doesn’t, we’d better see some quality assets acquired for Suzuki and others.
Goaltending is not 100% the problem, the breakdowns that occur in front of them is. Forwards cant finish plays, Zuke is a one way player that scores goals but is too selfish to be a playmaker. The D over commit and get burned over and over and for god's sake the turnovers. Point is we have one of the best young goalies out there, give him a chance to grow. If he needs a break throw one of the other 2 in for a game give them a chance..thats why we have 3 right? Either way its the only way any of them will get better. If in fact Durzi is coming back then the team will finally be whole and maybe can start playing as a team!

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Seb; that is great news! From last nights contest, I think the boys played a pretty solid game and were well deserving of a win but obviously the 2 late goals against derailed things. Maybe a couple of softies against does not help. With Suzuki scoring 3, we needed a goal or two from the other lines to solidify the win. All in all it was a good effort against a good Ottawa team.
A big three game week ahead with our All-Star Dman returning, welcome home #5!

Reactions: SebJHockey

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Goaltending is not 100% the problem, the breakdowns that occur in front of them is. Forwards cant finish plays, Zuke is a one way player that scores goals but is too selfish to be a playmaker. The D over commit and get burned over and over and for god's sake the turnovers. Point is we have one of the best young goalies out there, give him a chance to grow. If he needs a break throw one of the other 2 in for a game give them a chance..thats why we have 3 right? Either way its the only way any of them will get better. If in fact Durzi is coming back then the team will finally be whole and maybe can start playing as a team!

Stats beg to disagree with you.

Nick Zuke.jpg

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
The point is, outside of mayybe Dudas, the Attack have no one near Suzuki’s abilities for next year and beyond. While I really like Guzda, he is no DiPietro and it would be irresponsible to go for it this year with him as the #1. This year is either a “go for it” year or a “reload” year. No cheap fixes. Get the premium goalie or sell for next year and beyond. If he can’t get the goalie, Nick (and others) better not be on this team after Jan. 10.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I agree with your points about goaltending and the need for a better all-around team game in front of Guzda. I think Guzda has been the team's best player so far. I'm seeing that the issues are defensive breakdowns, turnovers in all zones, lack of finish, and not putting in full 60 minute efforts. Guzda is a very good young goalie. Still can't believe he was left in net for 9 goals in Barrie, in the first game of the season no less.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Great news about Durzi! Just in time for the first game vs. London. I think he gets the "C". Here's hoping his leadership presence can spark a turnaround in the team.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The point is, outside of mayybe Dudas, the Attack have no one near Suzuki’s abilities for next year and beyond. While I really like Guzda, he is no DiPietro and it would be irresponsible to go for it this year with him as the #1. This year is either a “go for it” year or a “reload” year. No cheap fixes. Get the premium goalie or sell for next year and beyond. If he can’t get the goalie, Nick (and others) better not be on this team after Jan. 10.

I tend to agree with this.

Goaltending early on worries me.

If this is the last year of this cycle before a rebuild (Albeit could be a quick one with the amount of players set to return)

This isn't the time to be dicking around. This is the last years of Suzuki, Durzi, Hancock, Sush, Phillips, Bourque and Lazer even though one of them will be traded. We got hit pretty good with offseason graduations with Gadjovich, Friend, McKenzie, and Szypula. That's wayyyyy to much fire porwer lost for essentially nothing to show for it.

If goaltending continues down this road (Anything below league average is unacceptable) and a move for a goalie isn't made, sell high on Nick Suzuki, Get your missing 2nds and a top prospect back. Sell high on Durzi, get a few more 2nds. Find a team that has an open import slot and sell sushko.

It's going to be interesting and I really hope Dale Degray does the right thing. Right now the right play is wait and see how things pan out. Give Guzda 10-15 starts. See if the depth on this team can step up to the plate. But a small part of me is starting to see a pattern and I don't like it.

EDIT TO ADD: We are also getting Sean Durzi back on the back end which is massive and Zach Roberts will be back in the line up and thats the kind of player that can spark a line up. Getting those guys back is huge.

Last edited:

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Historically this franchise even before DD does not rebuild.Playoff money for a small market is important. Also the fan base here in large would not be happy with it and attendance would suffer for a few years. Want proof look at 2011 up until almost playoff time tickets were readily available.Come playoff time you had to kill someone to get a ticket.Every year since competitive team = high attendance. Guzda is an Elite Goalie way to early to give up. Most 17 yr olds at any position struggle with consistency Goaltending stands out more especially when your teamates hang you out to dry.

Reactions: Waddapuck

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Historically this franchise even before DD does not rebuild.Playoff money for a small market is important. Also the fan base here in large would not be happy with it and attendance would suffer for a few years. Want proof look at 2011 up until almost playoff time tickets were readily available.Come playoff time you had to kill someone to get a ticket.Every year since competitive team = high attendance. Guzda is an Elite Goalie way to early to give up. Most 17 yr olds at any position struggle with consistency Goaltending stands out more especially when your teamates hang you out to dry.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

I wouldn't go as far as saying Guzda is an elite goalie. I say there are only 2 goalies in the OHL that are elite and it's Keyser and DiPietro (Villalta could also be considered)

Guzda is going to be a good goalie in this league and will likely be part of the next wave of elite goalies but he is quite far from being considered Elite today.

I don't think anyone is giving up on Guzda however. If you're making a run and you've got arguably one of the best players this franchise will ever see about to graduate to the next level, and are also graduating a core of Durzi, Sushko, Hancock, Bourque, Lazer, Phillips, then maybe we should get serious about this run and get a consistent goalie instead of hanging it on the shoulders of a 17 year old whose career save percentage is like .878. AS much as goaltending was much better in the Soo series last year, game 7 was the story all year. We get league average goaltending in that game, we likely win. Lets not make the same mistake twice.

But as you did mention it is early. But i think too many people are having shades of last year.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Seb; Great assessment! Bring in an experienced goaltender that can whether the storm a bit here when need be. There are too many very good pieces here to just "go with the flow". I don't see a "powerhouse" yet in either conference. That will certainly change but why can't this Attack team make a few moves and become one early this season? Hopefully we get a return of a top player/high picks for the OA player that DD decides to move! The return could be the building blocks that the Attack could start with as they build the "team to beat" in the Western Conference. Too much of the core group moving on next year for this team not to go for it now, IMO.

Reactions: SebJHockey

OSA

Jun 11, 2011

I would argue instead that it’s every year since Championship = high attendance

Quite frankly, the team that will be iced next year will be hard pressed to make he playoffs IMO. After Dudas, who do you have that is even somewhat high-end? DD’s ‘17 draft was really bad IMO. If the overriding philosophy is to make the playoffs every year, then DD needs to help next year’s team by selling this year.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I'd like to see what our current goaltending looks like playing behind a team that cuts down on defensive breakdowns and turnovers. Nobody but Guzda showed up to play in Barrie. Last night, Ottawa's first goal was the result of a defensive zone turnover, second goal was through a screen (we got hemmed in our own zone because one of our forwards lost his stick, so we were essentially playing with 4.5 players), and the third goal came from a total defensive breakdown.

I can't see DD making a big splash for a premier goalie. I don't think that's his MO. The Owen Sound approach seems to be to ice a solid team every year and see what happens in the playoffs. I think if DD were going to make a splash for an elite goalie, it would have happened last year.

The draft cupboard is concerning as it stands now, and I'd hate to see what it would look like after making a deal for a DiPietro-type goalie. The team already gave up two 2nds this year to get Robertson, plus our 2nd rounder from 2018 decided not to report. That stings.

Even if DD were to empty the draft cupboard even further to get an elite goalie (and give up a young guy like Seed/Russell that such a deal would require), and even if the team were to win an OHL championship this year, is that worth the years of rebuilding that would inevitably follow? I don't know if the ownership group of this small-market club would take the chance on a 'go for it now ' year and risk a drop in attendance for a few years.

Another question is whether the team would actually pull the trigger on a rebuild come January if things weren't looking good at that time. If things haven't turned around by then, then I agree that dealing departing players for a bounty of assets would be in the best interest of the team. I just wonder if management would actually go into full-on 'sell' mode.

Still very early this season, of course. Here's hoping the team gets back on track starting on Wednesday, with somebody wearing a "C" out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad