Post-Game Talk: Ovi's Stanley Cup Champs visit SENS, Sat. 7:00pm (Xmas Edition Part II)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Liked the way they played for the most part. Actually showed some desperation, which is rare but you just cant play the way they played in the first 21 minutes.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
We are essentially a 1 line team + 1 player alone ine Duchene. ( Talking about the forward )

Tkachuk White Stone is our 1st line right now.

They need to find something for Duchene ASAP. The chances of staying here are not that big. Imagine if they are not giving him any competent linemate. At least, if it was young talented forward. At least, you can understand why they are inconsistent.

Reactions: solidprospect

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not sure if it was the Sens that kept it that close or the Caps just barely trying. My money is on the latter. After that 3rd goal even they seemed to lose interest in the Sens and just wanted to go home.

Reactions: Vprime and Alex1234

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Not sure if it was the Sens that kept it that close or the Caps just barely trying. My money is on the latter. After that 3rd goal even they seemed to lose interest in the Sens and just wanted to go home.

You are probably right. But IMO trying or not they were the better team against 3/4 of our line. Maybe minus Duchene who cannot do things alone.

33 Shots total. Stone has 6 shots, White 5 shots, Tkachuk 3 shots but played only 13 min, Duchene 3 shots.

Almost half the shots came from these 4. That is telling. We need goals from the bottom 6. If Duch and TWS line are neutralize, you know nothing will come unless Chabot takes over. Which he is done a lot this season.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You are probably right. But IMO trying or not they were the better team against 3/4 of our line. Maybe minus Duchene who cannot do things alone.

33 Shots total. Stone has 6 shots, White 5 shots, Tkachuk 3 shots but played only 13 min, Duchene 3 shots.

Almost half the shots came from these 4. That is telling. We need goals from the bottom 6. If Duch and TWS line are neutralize, you know nothing will come unless Chabot takes over. Which he is done a lot this season.

It'd be nice if the bottom-6 did anything at all, but all of Tierney, Boedker, Ryan, Paul, Pyatt and Paajarvi seem to have zero scoring touch. We may have the worst third and 4th line in the NHL at this point. Thankfully Pageau's return in a few weeks will help a ton and take some dead weight off the roster.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It'd be nice if the bottom-6 did anything at all, but all of Tierney, Boedker, Ryan, Paul, Pyatt and Paajarvi seem to have zero scoring touch. We may have the worst third and 4th line in the NHL at this point. Thankfully Pageau's return in a few weeks will help a ton and take some dead weight off the roster.

Yeah agreed, although Paul and Tierney are still young and might improve. Boedker is so bad. Can't believe that's what we got for Hoffman.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah agreed, although Paul and Tierney are still young and might improve. Boedker is so bad. Can't believe that's what we got for Hoffman.

Paul is definitely a nice addition on the 4th, but he's never going to be an offensive force. Tierney seems to have almost no hockey sense, and he's not so young that one can believe he'll suddenly improve in that department.

But yeah, Boedker as Hoffman's replacement is just another notch in Dorion's "awful no good terrible trades" belt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's basically another Paajarvi .. perhaps not as good defensively... so not sure what is left. Some one that can skate and that's about it

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hoffman is only one under a ppg and on pace for almost 40 goals.

Karlsson with a 4 point night and back to his old self.

The Senators? Losing a lot after unexpectedly decent start and currently in 2nd last. Still without their 1st round draft pick. Still without contracts to Stone, Duchene and Dzingel.

Reactions: lancepitlick

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Tierney might be much better on Pageau's wing imo. He's not quite good enough to be a 3rd line C given his weak defensive game, but he can make passes, and he wouldn't have to constantly play with both Boedker and Ryan, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Those two need to never be on the same line.

A lineup that looks like:

Tkachuk-White-Stone
Dzingel-Duchene-Boedker
Tierney-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Paul-Paajarvi

Is actually not too bad. Obviously there's still major weaknesses, but it looks much more balanced with Pageau on the 3rd. Imagine if we have Hoffman instead of Boedker to play with Duchene though.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A lineup that looks like:

Tkachuk-White-Stone
Dzingel-Duchene-Boedker
Tierney-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Paul-Paajarvi

Is actually not too bad. Obviously there's still major weaknesses, but it looks much more balanced with Pageau on the 3rd. Imagine if we have Hoffman instead of Boedker to play with Duchene though.

Forwards aren't a problem for us (...yet, let's see how the Duchene/Stone scenarios play out before saying anything positive about the group long-term.)

Blueline and goaltending are going to handcuff this team for the foreseeable future until we address it, regardless of our depth and skill up front. We need a replacement for Andy and at least two legit top-4 defenceman added to this roster before we even sniff a post-season game again.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I can’t believe I read boekder is another paajarvi lol. You might not think he’s above average but come on lol

I’d still rather have him then some low picks, to be honest

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I can’t believe I read boekder is another paajarvi lol. You might not think he’s above average but come on lol

I’d still rather have him then some low picks, to be honest

Yeah, that was an exaggeration. BUT at this point I think I'd rather have Paajarvi. Cheaper and plays actual D.

I'd rather have a 2nd, 4th and 5th than Boedker.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I just looked it up and Boedker is 2nd on our team in scoring in December

Even if you take away his 4 pt night at the start of the month he would be 5th on our team in scoring in December. Pretty crazy, its hard to remember where most of the pts came from. 3 were on PP. I think it says more about the team than anything else

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, that was an exaggeration. BUT at this point I think I'd rather have Paajarvi. Cheaper and plays actual D.

I'd rather have a 2nd, 4th and 5th than Boedker.
I'm glad it's not just me with Boedker. He's really bad. I see why he was a buy out candidate a year ago. Guy has no hands. It's rare to see him do anything positive with the puck unless it's literally just skating in a straight line in the neutral zone.

Then on top of that he's a terrible defensive player. I feel like he wouldn't be so bad in his own zone of he wasn't asked to play so low. At least if he could use is speed to cover the point and cause turnovers he'd have some use but alas Boucher gonna Boucher.

Reactions: God Says No

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really liked our game for the most part. We were much better defensively and showed some urgency. Bring that every night and we will win more games than we will lose.

We need Tkachuk to play smarter, though. Love the enthusiasm, but we can’t have a top line winger sitting for 17 minutes - not with the horrifying depth we have now. He needs to get up and go ask that guy for a dance - that way, he avoids the instigator. Part of Brady’s growth process is going to be learning to pick his spots. Still, the kid just brings so much to this team - wait until you see him two years from now, stronger faster and more experienced. He will be the top power forward in the NHL for many years...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I really liked our game for the most part. We were much better defensively and showed some urgency. Bring that every night and we will win more games than we will lose.

We need Tkachuk to play smarter, though. Love the enthusiasm, but we can’t have a top line winger sitting for 17 minutes - not with the horrifying depth we have now. He needs to get up and go ask that guy for a dance - that way, he avoids the instigator. Part of Brady’s growth process is going to be learning to pick his spots. Still, the kid just brings so much to this team - wait until you see him two years from now, stronger faster and more experienced. He will be the top power forward in the NHL for many years...

Picking his spots would be good I can’t blame him too much for responding in the moment.

I also hate how the instigator penalty is enforced completely inconsistently. Bowey took several runs at Tkachuk there it’s ridiculous that they called an instigator.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad