Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I love how people use the "best goal scorer" qualifier on Ovechkin as though it is somehow a negative. Ya know, Messi is only a goal scorer.

It's as if it's not the stat by which the winner of games is determined?!? Some people act as though other players are like... "ya know... I could score more goals than Ovechkin, but nah, I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff..."

There is literally no other current player capable of doing what he has done. You could also make the case that there never has been... and yet somehow being the best at the most important skill in Hockey is somehow spun as a negative... SMH
I dont think "best goal scorer is a "negative". Just stipulates that he is not quite in the conversation as best player.

When some one says who is the best player and you give your answer.........a fair question could be "how may times did he win the scoring race" ? If the answer is zero, as it is with OV. Well, he seems to then get the title for best goal scorer. Not exactly a knock.

Personally I think Mario was the player I ever watched. Goal scoring included.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
When some one says who is the best player and you give your answer.........a fair question could be "how may times did he win the scoring race" ? If the answer is zero, as it is with OV. Well, he seems to then get the title for best goal scorer.

What are you talking about.

Reactions: Another AZ

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
I dont think "best goal scorer is a "negative". Just stipulates that he is not quite in the conversation as best player.

When some one says who is the best player and you give your answer.........a fair question could be "how may times did he win the scoring race" ? If the answer is zero, as it is with OV. Well, he seems to then get the title for best goal scorer. Not exactly a knock.

Personally I think Mario was the player I ever watched. Goal scoring included.

Lol Ovechkin won the Art Ross in 08.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bossy led the NHL in goals two times. That's it.
I meant he delivered every year. Rookie year ?....50 goals.

Im surprised he actually lead the league twice..............with Wayne them Mario playing through the 80s along with him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What are you talking about.
I was replying to the poster who said people refer to "OV the best goal scorer" as a negative . Better way of saying it may be is this...............OV is the best goal scorer ever, even though he never won a scoring title.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
In what world?

This world. Unless the HHOF has an error and fake photo in which OV poses with the trophy.

Silverware -- 2007-08 Art Ross Trophy Winner -- Ovechkin, Alex -- Legends of Hockey

ART2008.jpg

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I meant he delivered every year. Rookie year ?....50 goals.

Im surprised he actually lead the league twice..............with Wayne them Mario playing through the 80s along with him.
Yeah but he never led the league with both of them in the league. He only ever won one with Gretzky (his second year I believe) and has zero with Mario in the league.

Reactions: PaulD

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Ovechkin is liability 5vs5 these days he gets goals so maybe it could be said he is not negative impact player for Capitals, but if he would be out and some regular player would replace him honestly i dont think Caps would suffer at all they might win even more in long run. His goal totals are star cult think, but when talking about winning hockey games its just curiosity Cap would win other ways. And talking about if other player's would replace nowadays Ovechkin would take same role lets say Laine would play Ovechkin's role same set up full powerplays being targeted player to take shots mostly there's no question in my mind Laine would score 100+ points this season maybe even 110-120..

Reactions: SouthGeorge

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I don’t know what that guy is talking about. AO clearly won that year. Then says he’s surprised Bossy has 2 goal scoring titles since he played against Mario and Wayne when both of those came before Mario even debuted and only one with Wayne in the league :laugh:

Yay. People make mistakes. No big deal. Anyway, I tend to trust HHOF page more on facts about trophies, records and achievements than I do generally when reading a random HFB comment on these things.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Yay. People make mistakes. No big deal. Anyway, I tend to trust HHOF page more on facts about trophies, records and achievements than I do generally when reading a random HFB comment on these things.
Not hard to stat check and how do you not remember AO winning a scoring race?

You go to the HHOF page? You can easily just google it :laugh:

He said Joe had 114 that year. Where did that even come from?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Ovechkin is liability 5vs5 these days he gets goals so maybe it could be said he is not negative impact player for Capitals, but if he would be out and some regular player would replace him honestly i dont think Caps would suffer at all they might win even more in long run. His goal totals are star cult think, but when talking about winning hockey games its just curiosity Cap would win other ways. And talking about if other player's would replace nowadays Ovechkin would take same role lets say Laine would play Ovechkin's role same set up full powerplays being targeted player to take shots mostly there's no question in my mind Laine would score 100+ points this season maybe even 110-120..

This couldn’t be further from the truth. The Caps don’t win a cup unless Ovi bought in to Trotz defense system. Early in Ovechkin’s career and esp when Adam Oates was in town then yea he was a bit of a mess in his end. However Ovechkin isn’t going to win any selke votes he’s very responsible defensively and a very complete player right now.

Reactions: gtrower

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Without Ovechkin's goal scoring now and in years past the Capitals would have nowhere near the same level of success.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not hard to stat check and how do you not remember AO winning a scoring race?

You go to the HHOF page? You can easily just google it :laugh:

He said Joe had 114 that year. Where did that even come from?

Yep. Googling things is a standard procedure these days. When HHOF's site weirdly popped on the top of the list I though it might be trustworthy site to check the fact. This new stuff called internet is amazing thing. So easy, so fast, and you need only very basic level understanding about things to be able to evaluate the informational quality of a site you accidentally storm in, you know. :laugh:

Then, other good site I accidentally found some time ago is Official Site of the National Hockey League , among all kinds of usually low value news stuff there is that funny 'Stats' sub section. I assume they have rather correct factual stats there in that page about NHL statistics. Seems to be legit site. You can even filter your stuff there in various ways. Amazing! :laugh:

That site usually pops up on the top when googling "NHL". Don't know why, but it is always there when I try search something NHL related.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Without Ovechkin's goal scoring now and in years past the Capitals would have nowhere near the same level of success.
Hmm thats hard to prove because they about never play without him/sample size is too small and from different kind of season's would be interesting so see if Ovy would get injured for like half season how would Caps do. One random game ofc doesnt prove anythink and even Pens had better % winning when Crosby was out this season and before have had better results without Malkin than with him. So it would need to be like hundreds of games with about same roster to get good data without variance/luck playing big part hockey is so random game afterall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad