Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just FYI: Brett Hull had his own lockout and a half ;) "The half" being in the middle of his peak/prime. The full season was, of course, already past it.

This is true.

Could also be argued that if Jagr didnt get homesick and leave the NHL for 3 years he'd have had a shot as well - plus the aforementioned lockouts costing him.

Reactions: Sentinel

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
the main purpose is to score more goals than your opponent

I love how people use the "best goal scorer" qualifier on Ovechkin as though it is somehow a negative. Ya know, Messi is only a goal scorer.

It's as if it's not the stat by which the winner of games is determined?!? Some people act as though other players are like... "ya know... I could score more goals than Ovechkin, but nah, I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff..."

There is literally no other current player capable of doing what he has done. You could also make the case that there never has been... and yet somehow being the best at the most important skill in Hockey is somehow spun as a negative... SMH

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
He would not score that much when he was 18-19 first of.

Also without the first lock out, there might never have been a crackdown on obstructions, and then we have a whole other scenario of potential years of low scoring to deal with.

So maybe we'd do better ignoring the what ifs?

I agree that he likely wouldn’t have scored as much if there had been a 2004-5 season.

He lost out on about 25 goals or so in the 48 game season, though.

All due to the incompetence of the NHL and its leadership.

Still, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all be fat. So better off ignoring it, yeah.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Using his career .61 goals per game rate and assuming he played in 112/116 games the lockout removed (again matching the 97% career mark for games played), would give him an extra 68 goals, to bring his career total to 760, just behind Jagr for 3rd all time.

The Butterfly Effect makes this all irrelevant. It’s impossible to predict. It’s not as simple as saying he missed out on 120 or so extra games and thus another 70 or so goals.

He could have more goals, he could have less, he could have been injured, he might have won a Cup earlier, he might be out of the league by now, everything little thing would change.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
The Butterfly Effect makes this all irrelevant. It’s impossible to predict. It’s not as simple as saying he missed out on 120 or so extra games and thus another 70 or so goals.

He could have more goals, he could have less, he could have been injured, he might have won a Cup earlier, he might be out of the league by now, everything little thing would change.

Agreed. Ifs and buts and on pace for this and that are meaningless.

For me, I am happy the way things turned out. :)

Reactions: JLaw1719

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Agreed. Ifs and buts and on pace for this and that are meaningless.

For me, I am happy the way things turned out. :)

Definitely. 692 goals and counting and not having to worry about the laughable argument that he’s not an all time great due to lacking a Cup and Conn Smythe has to be one of the better possibilities that could have turned out.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Definitely. 692 goals and counting and not having to worry about the laughable argument that he’s not an all time great due to lacking a Cup and Conn Smythe has to be one of the better possibilities that could have turned out.

Yep. As a Caps fan, winning the Cup was the ultimate goal.

To have a player that literally could be the greatest goal scorer of all time and a top ten player of all time is the icing on the cake.

TheZeebo

Jan 1, 2020
Arguably the best goal scorer of all time, and this is coming from a lifelong pens fan.

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
Northeast from where I live.
I was talking about his moral compass.
Moral compass is the same. He loves his country and his new home. Nothing wrong with this. He respects his teammates. What bad did he do?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I love how people use the "best goal scorer" qualifier on Ovechkin as though it is somehow a negative. Ya know, Messi is only a goal scorer.

It's as if it's not the stat by which the winner of games is determined?!? Some people act as though other players are like... "ya know... I could score more goals than Ovechkin, but nah, I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff..."

There is literally no other current player capable of doing what he has done. You could also make the case that there never has been... and yet somehow being the best at the most important skill in Hockey is somehow spun as a negative... SMH

When it comes to Messi, his dribbling and passing skills are always brought up along with his scoring prowess.

Reactions: discobob

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada

It seems butterfly effect only applies to Ovy. In case of Gretzky/Lemieux/Crosby, they would clearly score much more if wanted or stayed healthy.

Reactions: Randyne

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hard to believe many were saying this guy was done 5-6 years ago and should be traded when he was playing like a shadow of himself. Safe to saw Barry no neck trotz has saved this guys career.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What? :laugh: No way..
You could not lose with anyone of the three . Personal preference I suppose.

Brendan Shanahan : "One minute to go. Up a goal or doen a goal. The first player I pick to put out on the ice is Pavel Datzuik"

He Didnt say Gretz, didnt say Sid or OV.

Im not alone in how good I think Pavel is.

Not a knock on OV.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad