Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
I love how people use the "best goal scorer" qualifier on Ovechkin as though it is somehow a negative...

There is literally no other current player capable of doing what he has done. You could also make the case that there never has been...

Don't think so. Mario had way better G/Gp despite missing several prime years of his career. Had Ovi faced the same situation, he would not be even at 500 goals yet.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Without Ovechkin's goal scoring now and in years past the Capitals would have nowhere near the same level of success.
And star cult is very overrated in hockey even if lets say peak Erik Karlsson was out for Ottawa how much does that really effect winning change's of any single game maybe 2-3%? At most 5% and that's extreme case like Peak EKarlsson with Ottawa. With star players like Pastrnak Matthews Aho etc effect is propably like 1-3%. Hockey is ultimate team sport and very random sport even if said invidual scores 2 goals in game they could win it other way doesnt mean team loses if that player doesnt play..

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If we would use same time we collectively use here talking about these same old things from every aspects, for and against, to decryption of Rongorongo, the script would likely been already readable for years.

images

Never red anywhere has anyone considered a possibility that ancient Easter Islanders recorded their games, and a deeds of all time greats to these pieces of wood.

Instead you can find easily all kind BS how UFO's came to the island and toily scripted these pieces containing some esoteric wisdom for the future humanity to learn.

Imagine a joy when reading "OV's" career records from Ancient Sumer scripted on a clay tablet with cuneiform thousands of years ago. Our current civilization is very unlike to save such important historical records for thousands of years, to be honest, as we are living in the middle of dark ages of information.

/OT comment for general historical and cultural relativity.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Don't think so. Mario had way better G/Gp despite missing several prime years of his career. Had Ovi faced the same situation, he would not be even at 500 goals yet.

Ovechkin Adjusted GPG 0.703
Lemieux Adjusted GPG 0.673

You may argue that adjusted goals isn't a perfect stat... Sure, but ignoring era differences is flat crazy.

Then you consider how many times they each lead the league in goals 3 vs 8... again in favor of Ovechkin.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Ovechkin is liability 5vs5 these days he gets goals so maybe it could be said he is not negative impact player for Capitals, but if he would be out and some regular player would replace him honestly i dont think Caps would suffer at all they might win even more in long run. His goal totals are star cult think, but when talking about winning hockey games its just curiosity Cap would win other ways. And talking about if other player's would replace nowadays Ovechkin would take same role lets say Laine would play Ovechkin's role same set up full powerplays being targeted player to take shots mostly there's no question in my mind Laine would score 100+ points this season maybe even 110-120..

This is an awful take.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin is liability 5vs5 these days he gets goals so maybe it could be said he is not negative impact player for Capitals, but if he would be out and some regular player would replace him honestly i dont think Caps would suffer at all they might win even more in long run. His goal totals are star cult think, but when talking about winning hockey games its just curiosity Cap would win other ways. And talking about if other player's would replace nowadays Ovechkin would take same role lets say Laine would play Ovechkin's role same set up full powerplays being targeted player to take shots mostly there's no question in my mind Laine would score 100+ points this season maybe even 110-120..

Well this is certainly a “take” on Ovechkin. :thumbu:

Reactions: Another AZ

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I was replying to the poster who said people refer to "OV the best goal scorer" as a negative . Better way of saying it may be is this...............OV is the best goal scorer ever, even though he never won a scoring title.

lmao

By the way, for the points-obsessed people, Ovechkin led the NHL in PPG for three years in a row in those years.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018

You may argue that adjusted goals isn't a perfect stat... Sure, but ignoring era differences is flat crazy.

Then you consider how many times they each lead the league in goals 3 vs 8... again in favor of Ovechkin.
0.703 is incorrect, hockey-reference adjusts current season goals to a full season, thus he is listed with 57 adjusted goals in 19-20...

Reactions: Plural

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

You say ignoring era differences is flat crazy but bring up total times leading the league in goals and ignore Mario’s health. He had 69 goals in 60 games the year he announced he had cancer. Then after Cancer and injuries etc, he had 69 goals in 70 games. Then after years of not playing because of his health he came back to score 35 in 43 games. You can’t ignore all this. It’s hard to know just how many he would have won.

Reactions: Sour Shoes

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
You say ignoring era differences is flat crazy but bring up total times leading the league in goals and ignore Mario’s health. He had 69 goals in 60 games the year he announced he had cancer. Then after Cancer and injuries etc, he had 69 goals in 70 games. Then after years of not playing because of his health he came back to score 35 in 43 games. You can’t ignore all this. It’s hard to know just how many he would have won.
I think you're actually ignoring era differences when you bring unadjusted stats to impress us.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I think you're actually ignoring era differences when you bring unadjusted stats to impress us.
How am I ignoring stats by simply stating how dominant he was. Regardless of stats the guy came back from serious injuries and health issues to win back to back scoring titles. Era doesn’t matter on that regard. I’m merely pointing out he lost many prime years due to health and was still dominating.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
0.703 is incorrect, hockey-reference adjusts current season goals to a full season, thus he is listed with 57 adjusted goals in 19-20...

I think they also adjust shortened seasons which throws averages off a bit.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011

Lemieux led the league in GPG 6 times - and yes, even 35 in 43 (which he followed up by 6 in 24 and 28 in 67) counts there.
So, at most 6 goal-scoring titles for him even with perfect health in all seasons he played - versus 8 real goal-scoring titles for Ovechkin (and since we are imagining things, we can also grant Ovechkin the 9th one for 09/10, when he missed 10 games and lost the Rocket by one goal).

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Lemieux led the league in GPG 6 times - and yes, even 35 in 43 (which he followed up by 6 in 24 and 28 in 67) counts there.
So, at most 6 goal-scoring titles for him even with perfect health in all seasons he played - versus 8 real goal-scoring titles for Ovechkin (and since we are imagining things, we can also grant Ovechkin the 9th one for 09/10, when he missed 10 games and lost the Rocket by one goal).
Okay but I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about full years he missed due to Cancer and injuries. Look at the years before Cancer and after. He was still dominating and missed years of prime because of it. You’re intentionally ignoring that. His 35 in 43 was after 3 years off. 3! How is that not impressive and then get this. Consider the ERA(!).

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Okay but I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about full years he missed due to Cancer and injuries. Look at the years before Cancer and after. He was still dominating and missed years of prime because of it. You’re intentionally ignoring that. His 35 in 43 was after 3 years off. 3! How is that not impressive and then get this. Consider the ERA(!).

Is your argument that he deserves credit for what he probably would have done in the seasons he didn’t play? I mean it sucks he and the fans were robbed of those years. But how would we pick a number to add to his totals? Same problem as the games missed due to lockout for Ovi. You can’t.

Reactions: Another AZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad