Ovechkin is still the King

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
No doubt playing the best hockey of his career. The shot is as good as ever, his passing while always good is at another level right now and you'll even seen an occasional back-check and blocked shot. Fortunate to have been able to watch him night in and night out the past 12 plus years.
This. Ovechkin naysayers would always say he didn't pass, but the stats speak for themselves and now he's making gorgeous tape to tape's on a nightly basis. Hell, if Marcus Johannsen could actually hit open nets he'd have about 30-40 more primary assists, but I digress.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Ovechkin has led his team in goals for 14 consecutive years. How crazy is that? When you factor in health, down years, career years by teammates, it’s incredible that he’s been able to do that. Even Bobby Hull took several years before leading his team in goals. Ovechkin was the best goal scorer on his team right out of the gate.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
And Caps aren't at full force yet, so Ovy gets all possible attention now.
As crazy as it seems I'd actually say that Backstrom has been the Caps best player this year all things considered. He's scoring more than usual and has done everything at both ends no matter what line he's centering.

So ya, Nicky by a slim margin as the Capitals MVP through 29 games.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
TSN had him at like 30 2 years ago in player rankings, a ****ing disgrace. I think he was like 13th this year? Christ I hate that panel.
The superstar of the people! My favorite player in the league for many years and he never takes it all too seriously. If you are a fan of the game and not just of your "team" than you have to cheer for a guy like Ovi, what's not to like?

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
No doubt playing the best hockey of his career. The shot is as good as ever, his passing while always good is at another level right now and you'll even seen an occasional back-check and blocked shot. Fortunate to have been able to watch him night in and night out the past 12 plus years.

I dont agree one bit. He had a very good case at being the best player in the world between 07-10 and that was when he was up against Malkin and Crosby.

I dont understand why people around here is saying that these three legends (yes, that is what they already are) is close to their peak. They simply arent. Not a Malkin hot streak (Januari-April 2018) or Crosby backhand show for a couple of games, or basically ANYTHING can touch what we saw in the playoff series 2009, or in the regular season that year for that matter.

And more on topic. Yes, Ovechkin is still the goalscoring king and will be until he is proven otherwise with a BIG sample.

And this is coming from a Penguins fan.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
the older ovi gets, the more i appreciate him. both thankful that my teams in the west and ovi cant torch this nucks abyssal defence more than twice a year, but regretful i dont get to watch his greatness nearly enough.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Don't count out Matthews.
If he can stay healthy for a full season, definitely. Ovechkin has proven to be one of the most durable players on top of being a lethal scorer. The least amount of games he's played was 72 (not counting the lockout shortened season) and that was in 09-10. Nothing less than 78 GP in any other season.

Reactions: filinski77

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
If he can stay healthy for a full season, definitely. Ovechkin has proven to be one of the most durable players on top of being a lethal scorer. The least amount of games he's played was 72 (not counting the lockout shortened season) and that was in 09-10. Nothing less than 78 GP in any other season.
I believe some of those games missed have been because of a suspension as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad