Ovechkin is still the King

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Haven't verified it (by checking everyone's ages) but it looks like he's the only top 10 in goals scored and total points over 30 y/o.
He's certainly the oldest at 33.

Legend :nod:

Reactions: dukeofjive

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He is indeed the best. Laine only scores in streaks of 5 games 15 goals, then 10 games without a single one. If the opponent is focusing on stopping Laine, he can't do anything. This is not the case with Ovi, he can overcome the adversity and score despite him being tried to be pinned down by the opposing team.

Everyone knows he’s shooting it from the left circle, but AO is the kind of player that doesn’t give a ****. He’s going to shoot it anyway, and good luck trying to stop it.

He reminds me of Brett Hull in that sense.. But better, which is very hard to say considering Hull has one of the greatest shots in our sports history.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Amazing player having a great season, so far. On pace for 62 goals and 102 points.

He's skating around like he's mid 20s again. It's a pleasure to watch. :)

Also, moved into 51st place all time in points scored with 1158, passing Daniel Alfredsson. Next up is Bobby Hull at 1170.

Also has now scored 750 career adjusted goals. Howe leads with 925, Jagr has 841 and Gretzky has 758.

Now has 1347 career adjusted points which is tied with Paul Coffey for 26th all time.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
it really is impressive how long he's continuing to be an elite goal scorer

goal scoring is typically dominated by the young,since the 70s the only player other than Ovechkin to lead the league in goals at 30+ years of age was Lemieux in 1995-96 and he did it once and at the age of 30

Ovechkin lead at 30,32,and is currently leading again at 33
Wow, that’s actually pretty incredible. I had no idea

Reactions: filinski77

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Don't know why he wouldn't be...I mean he cleaned up last year, came into the season on the highest of highs and in great shape. I've been laughing for years...every year the season starts and ovechkin is old, ovechkin can't sustain this at his age, ovechkin is out of shape, new guy X has a better shot than ovehkin, new guy X is the greatest goal scorer in the making ever...but every year the same damn thing happens

Cheers to you Ovi.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Everyone knows he’s shooting it from the left circle, but AO is the kind of player that doesn’t give a ****. He’s going to shoot it anyway, and good luck trying to stop it.

He reminds me of Brett Hull in that sense.. But better, which is very hard to say considering Hull has one of the greatest shots in our sports history.
Yep ,you know where it's coming from yet can't stop it,what makes his shot so amazing. Kovalchuck Ovy and Hull best 1-timers ever.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I was actually going to make this thread when I saw Ovie lead the league with 22 goals

the thread title in my head was "Ovechkin is still KING"

just proof that humans have no free will
Doesn't get more hive mindish than being a sports fan.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Unbelievable. Had a few rough years, and then came back to reclaim his throne like King Richard.

An eighth Rocket Richard trophy would put him ahead of Bobby Hull.

Amazing excellence and consistency.

I just wish he got that goal in game 82 last year... and four more in his sophmore season

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
He is indeed the best. Laine only scores in streaks of 5 games 15 goals, then 10 games without a single one. If the opponent is focusing on stopping Laine, he can't do anything. This is not the case with Ovi, he can overcome the adversity and score despite him being tried to be pinned down by the opposing team.
Laine's biggest problem is that he seems to struggle extra every time Matthews is in the lineup. Plus he doesn't seem to be able to handle leading the League in goals either. Last year Laine started struggling at the end after he briefly led the League in goals and then Ovechkin passed him and won the Rocket. This year he seemed to hit the wall as soon as he took over the lead, which happened to be about the same time as Matthews returned to the lineup.

Laine will have a chance to redeem himself this upcomming week as he gets to play Chicago, who's 30th in goals against, twice. But I must say it doesn't look good for Laine and his legacy right now...

Reactions: talitintti

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Ov is a freak of nature. To me he doesn't look like he is slowing down. In fact he seems to be getting better.

His mother is an olympian and father was a elite athlete. He got sick genes and pretty much hasnt been injured in his career as well as aging like a fine wine. 801 will be passed and 894 is in jeopardy now.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
That's the thing, scoring 30+ goals or 65 points are not "rough" years. Those would be respectable numbers for any 1st line winger not named Ovechkin. It will be interesting to see who takes it between him and Laine. If those two don't win it, it will likely go to MacKinnon or Pastrnak. Still can't picture Skinner keeping up with these guys.

True. They're only rough years for him because he had set the bar so high for himself.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->