Value of: Outside opinion on Kadri

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He's great. Always liked him. Think there's more to his game to develop. Don't think Toronto really handled him as well as they could have. Solid contract though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I used to think he was a weak 2C, great 3C but now I think he's a solid 2C. So the Leafs do have a lot of strength down the middle now.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I guess my honest opinion of him is he was underwhelming for a long time.

He seems like a good agitator but also gets away with a lot. He has ressurrected what looked like a pretty meh career playing a role under babcock and behind matthews and co.

One of my least favorite things to do is watch or listen to Mike Babcock talk to or about Nazem Kadri.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Kadri is an excellent C who plays a physical, (at times dirty), game while putting up decent numbers. He was used in a defensive role by the Leafs, and I don't think he is particularly good at it. His defensive proficiency is vastly overrated by some. He certainly needs to work on his discipline. Having said that, he possesses great offensive skills and would be a great physical but offense-minded 2C on most teams.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
With the addition of Tavares, the leafs appear to be fairly stacked on their center depth and as most of you already have read trade proposals from random leaf fans looking for defensive help, you read about trouba, paryako and other top defenseman.... A nice endless cycle, but realistically what would a player like Kadri fetch ?

If you ask me I think toronto needs to be calling up the canes being they have pretty good depth on defense and could use some center help so kadri to carolina as an outside fan looks like a good fit.

Help the leaf fans with an actual fair value assessment with their players and let's find them a defenseman that would be available for someone like kadri.
Nazem Kadri hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Hopefully Dubas has better sense than to do something like that

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Kadri is an excellent C who plays a physical, (at times dirty), game while putting up decent numbers. He was used in a defensive role by the Leafs, and I don't think he is particularly good at it. His defensive proficiency is vastly overrated by some. He certainly needs to work on his discipline. Having said that, he possesses great offensive skills and would be a great physical but offense-minded 2C on most teams.
Shuts down McDavid, but he's overrated?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's one of the better 2Cs in the league. People calling him average or a 3C even are completely out to lunch. You don't score 30 goals pin back 2 back years while being just an average 2C. Not with the defensive responsibilities he's had to deal with since nobody else in Toronto could do it.

Reactions: Lilou and weems

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kadri is a valuable asset. Not sure the Leafs will trade him but you never know. He'd definitely generate a lot of interest around the league and would bring in a good D-Man in return. Who that is.......dunno.

And the Leafs would still look good down the middle, if they were to trade him. After Matthews and Tavares, they'd still have Nylander(if needed), and then Gauthier, Lindholm, Altonen and maybe Brooks.

Not as good as with Kadri in there, but still good compared to many teams out there.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Kadri is a valuable asset. Not sure the Leafs will trade him but you never know. He'd definitely generate a lot of interest around the league and would bring in a good D-Man in return. Who that is.......dunno.

And the Leafs would still look good down the middle, if they were to trade him. After Matthews and Tavares, they'd still have Nylander(if needed), and then Gauthier, Lindholm, Altonen and maybe Brooks.

Not as good as with Kadri in there, but still good compared to many teams out there.

Gauthier is a bust, Lindholm has not played a single game in the NHL, Aaltonen has gone back to play in Europe and Brooks is a long shot to make the NHL.

Sure if Nylander was moved over to center we'd still be strong down the middle but you'd also be taking away a elite winger from Matthews and his replacement would definitely be a steep downgrade.

The most impressive part about the Leafs current roster and whats going to possibly give them a chance at contending is the fact they have three awesome centers and its a position that is extremely important.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I look at Kadri as insurance if one of JT or Auston is on the shelf for a while. As it sits, if all three are running at their best, they will be difficult to compete against. Defense be damned!
Dubas won't give up Kadri for an average D and the fan base of other teams on this board won't give up a good one! I expect he will be a Leaf for a while!

Reactions: rhef3

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't really disagree with too much of this and I actually agree that Tavares will see much more of the high end matchups. Do you expect one of Kadri, Tavares or Matthews to play wing at ES? Because otherwise it will be tough to have those three eat up 46.5 ES minutes unless you really only play 3 lines. That number would leave only a two or three minutes of ES time for the fourth line.

It's been questioned whether the Leafs need a #4C at all this season. I think we can use one but he'd be more or less a place holder who would eat up some garbage time and other than that not play much at all and probably average less then 5 minutes a game.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With JT and Matthews as 1 & 2 will Kadri be upset about his possible ice time and not want to play a 3C shutdown role? Maybe ask for a trade to a team where he can be a true #1 center?
Kadri asked Dubas if he could be part of the recruitment process to get Tavares. Doesn't make sense that he'd do that if he wasn't comfortable with the idea of having him on the team.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
How many average 2Cs in the league put up 30 goals a season while playing a shutdown checking role?
How many seasons compared to how many times reaching that mark? You cant say 2 seasons as every season...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How many seasons compared to how many times reaching that mark? You cant say 2 seasons as every season...

I don't think it matters much what the goal totals are exactly. When he signed his deal 2 years ago I predicted he'd average 55-60 points for the next 5 seasons. So far so good, 3 more years to go on that and I see no reason he won't keep it going. And considering the context (linemates and usage) those numbers are hella impressive!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's been questioned whether the Leafs need a #4C at all this season. I think we can use one but he'd be more or less a place holder who would eat up some garbage time and other than that not play much at all and probably average less then 5 minutes a game.

That's probably a recipe for a disaster. Your top three can probably handle those minutes individually but it impacts not just them but the whole team. Unless the plan is to do a fair bit of double shifting this means that you run effectively three lines and over an NHL season you will increase both burnouts and injuries. Teams these days have for the most part moved away from the three line plus plugs model. They use the 4th line as a high energy line that can also help keep the top 9 fresh. I don't have statistical evidence to back this up by I suspect that 4th lines are actually playing more minutes these days not less.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's probably a recipe for a disaster. Your top three can probably handle those minutes individually but it impacts not just them but the whole team. Unless the plan is to do a fair bit of double shifting this means that you run effectively three lines and over an NHL season you will increase both burnouts and injuries. Teams these days have for the most part moved away from the three line plus plugs model. They use the 4th line as a high energy line that can also help keep the top 9 fresh. I don't have statistical evidence to back this up by I suspect that 4th lines are actually playing more minutes these days not less.

Double shifting would be the idea. JT is used to playing 20 minutes a game, Matthews got 18 last year, Kadri just under 17. Even without any adjustments at all that only leaves 5 minutes for the 4th guy.

Roll 4 lines and maybe once per period Matthews/Tavares takes one shift on the 4th line, that would be the general idea. When games are out of reach then obviously the 4th guys plays more.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Great player, but a total ****, like Marchand.
Everyone need one. If he could elevate his hitting to Darcy Tucker level, I would advocate he has his number retired when he finally hangs them up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad