Value of: Outside opinion on Kadri

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
From the looks of it they will probably find rentals at the deadline till a long solution can be obtained, VERY curious how they solve that issue down the road.... probably through the draft because i'm not sure how their cap issues will look after nylander, matthews and marner are all signed, It will be tough to sign a top D. Maybe they can trade nylander for one, who knows ?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Upper echelon offensive 2C.
Guy who can score a lot of goals, and is a good offensive player. Defensively a bit overstated. Doesn't put up elite metrics in that regard; but, hell, he scores 30 goals a season, you don't need him to do that.

Interested to see how he'll be in a 3C role.

Fair assessment.

I wouldn't be surprised if his totals slip this year, he may lose pp time, particularly if Babs decides to stack one unit.

It's not out of the realm of possibility he maintains production though, as someone on that team is going to get soft matchups. If I'm the opposing coach, I'd do everything I can to make sure it's Kadri and not Matthews/Tavares.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fair assessment.

I wouldn't be surprised if his totals slip this year, he may lose pp time, particularly if Babs decides to stack one unit.

It's not out of the realm of possibility he maintains production though, as someone on that team is going to get soft matchups. If I'm the opposing coach, I'd do everything I can to make sure it's Kadri and not Matthews/Tavares.
I think Kadri's pp time is more likely to go up than down - Babcock has really been a proponent of 2 balanced units with 4 forwards each and Kadri is safely in the top 8, plus the Leafs had the fewest powerplays in the league last year so the pool of total available pp minutes probably increases going forward

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think Kadri's pp time is more likely to go up than down - Babcock has really been a proponent of 2 balanced units with 4 forwards each and Kadri is safely in the top 8, plus the Leafs had the fewest powerplays in the league last year so the pool of total available pp minutes probably increases going forward
Add to that, what people forget is that Kadri has played a fair amount at wing as well...the Leafs can load up 2 full PP forward units using Matthews and Tavares at C.
Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Marner-Tavares-Marleau/Kap/Johnsson (depending on the kids development)

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'll give ya my outsider opinion on Kadri: He's good AND cheap. 30+ goals

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Add to that, what people forget is that Kadri has played a fair amount at wing as well...the Leafs can load up 2 full PP forward units using Matthews and Tavares at C.
Kadri-Matthews-Nylander
Marner and Nylander often play the points on the PP too, so Kadri is very likely to be a winger for one of the top two units imo, and there's still lots of space for Kap/Johnsson/Brown to get time

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Kadri-Matthews-Nylander

Yeah I was talking about if he chooses to load up say Matthews-Tavares-Marner-Nylander on a top unit, in the way teams like the pens have.
Not a likely scenario, just possible.

@Randy Randerson I didn't realize we had the least PPs in the league last year... that's crazy. Moving up that list at all with the firepower available would be great

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
5v5 Expected goals per 60 min played
2014/15 - 0.75
2015/16 - 0.88
2016/17 – 0.9
2017/18 – 0.74
It’s almost like there is puck luck in hockey!

So it goes up three years in a row and then it goes back down in 2017/2018

lolmiller1 - "Kadri's regressing you guys"

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I would say that Kadri has about the same value as Rielly if we're talking a 1 for 1 trade, which is about the only way Kadri gets traded. Maybe slightly less. Kadri alone should be able to get a solid RHD 2D that's on a good contract. It's more than Parayko.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Top 3 shut down center in the league hes an elite second line center but can also fill 1b roll like Ryan o rielly.
I I'm pretty sure leafs have the best center depth right now I dont see why we move Kadri players being moved will be higher quality prospects our top 9 is pretty much locked and we have 1 super solid d rielly . Dermott is looking nice right now as well I think we start selling our prospects and picks soon we got out top 9

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
In my opinion he's an elite 2C on a great contract. Guy does a little bit of everything he's a player everyone hates to play against so draws a lot of penalties as well. Can score goals and plays shut down defense. Only weakness I see is he's not a great play maker. I think that's why he played great with Marner as Marner was the play maker from wing. Kind of how Martin St Louis was the play maker on the wing for Centre Stamkos.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I would say that Kadri has about the same value as Rielly if we're talking a 1 for 1 trade, which is about the only way Kadri gets traded. Maybe slightly less. Kadri alone should be able to get a solid RHD 2D that's on a good contract. It's more than Parayko.
Yeah your off your rocker if you think kadri is worth parayko. Parayko is a 1rh Dman playing behind a top 5 in league. It doesn't matter what you think kadri is not worth him. Think marner Mathews. It's going to hurt to get him out of st Louis
Good try though with your off base opinion

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Also that's what buf said about ror, whom is a better center than kadri. Last I checked we didn't trade colt for that nor would kadri ever pull a Dman of his caliber. Another leaf fan over rating hiss players

Reactions: Snowman

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Too good to be stuck in a #3 role, trade chip

Or we can keep our elite defensive 2 way 30+ goal scoring center on the third line and just laugh at how stupid that is and how hard that is to matchup against.

Kadri is not going anywhere. One of the best contracts in the league, #1C playing 3C. Not a chance he gets moved.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yeah your off your rocker if you think kadri is worth parayko. Parayko is a 1rh Dman playing behind a top 5 in league. It doesn't matter what you think kadri is not worth him. Think marner Mathews. It's going to hurt to get him out of st Louis

Wouldn't trade Kadri for Parayko and even mentioning Parayko in the same breath as Marner/Matthews is laughable. There isn't a combination of assets on the Blues that could fetch either of those players.

Reactions: bionic

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Parayko is nowhere near a #1D d-man lmao wow you blues fans overrate him.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Wouldn't trade Kadri for Parayko and even mentioning Parayko in the same breath as Marner/Matthews is laughable. There isn't a combination of assets on the Blues that could fetch either of those players.
That's your opinion and it seems to be in the minority. I understand Mathews is an over payment. But that's what it's going to take to get parayko. Blues would have yo add but I don't expect that kind of return. I don't expect colt55 to get traded. But let's be honest marner is a winger that got 70pts, I value drais higher than marner.

Anyway. The notion that kadri is worth parayko or Reilly for that matter is a joke. You are way over valuing your players

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Parayko is nowhere near a #1D d-man lmao wow you blues fans overrate him.
Really no where near a number 1 Dman.

Top 60 dmen in league are considered top pairing. Top thirty in league are #1 on a team.
Colt Is rated 33- 37 best and that's on points alone he us easily better on defense than about half the dmen ahead of him better than Larson. There are a few teams he would be best Dman on team not just rhd. Also he has also played the #1rhd role on worlds teams several times. So bam shut it. Your crap stats and crap opinion wins no arguments here

Last edited:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Really no where near a number 1 Dman.

Top 60 dmen in league are considered top pairing. Top thirty in league are #1 on a team.
Colt Is rated 33- 37 best and that's on points alone he us easily better on defense than about half the dmen ahead of him better than Larson. There are a few teams he would be best Dman on team not just rhd. Also he has also played the #1rhd role on worlds teams several times. So bam shut it. Your crap stats and crap opinion wins no arguments here

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So much wrong here...

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Kadri is a good #2 centre, and a great #3 centre.

The Leafs obvious weakness is on D.... so at first glance, it's an opportunity to trade from an area of strength. However, even if you get an "equivalent value" decent #2/great #3 defenceman... the Leafs are still going to be unspectacular on D.

The way the Leafs have (and are going to have to) get by without having a spectacular D, is by forcing teams onto their heels. A potent, dangerous, and fast counterattack -- to relieve pressure off that suspect D. Having a great counterattack starts with the middle of the ice with your centre -- this is how babcock succeeded in Detroit all those years despite having defencemen that weren't always the best on paper.

With Kadri/Matthews/Tavares, there's really only one team who stands out as having a better group of 3 centres than the Leaf. Without Kadri, they're an extremely top-heavy group who are one injury away from falling apart, especially considering that the Leafs really don't have an NHL-qualified 4th line C.

Reactions: stymie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad