Out of Town Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Duclair with his 14th goal against the Bruins,.

Columbus is the second lowest scoring team in the league, only one player with more than 7 goals (Dubois with 10).

Some guys can flourish with a new team.

Dulcair would not have 14 goals with the Habs.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Man, the Islanders just keep rolling. They are now 20-7-2. I always had a soft spot for them ever since my early childhood was spent watching their great teams of the early eighties. Hope it continues and they surprise in the playoffs. Weber sure would look good there...and they have the prospects and money to make it happen.

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Before those news, he still put a 30 goals season .So i don't think that he was mishandled that much. It's when he came back from his injury that everything went bad . he was too fat and was probably in the need of the substance abuse program .

I'll beg to differ. He got putzed around pretty good by Therrien the mangler. In any case, I don't care about the guy, I'm glad he got traded.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Man, the Islanders just keep rolling. They are now 20-7-2. I always had a soft spot for them ever since my early childhood was spent watching their great teams of the early eighties. Hope it continues and they surprise in the playoffs. Weber sure would look good there...and they have the prospects and money to make it happen.
And they said their team looked the worst it has all season when they were playing us.

Pretty good results today. I had a swell day as well, thanks for asking.

Reactions: angusyoung

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Probably the Seattle Pricers with all these HF fake trades sending Carey there. :sarcasm:
I just don't see Price going to Seattle. He wants a cup.

Colorado makes so much sense though. They could send back Grubauer who's making 3 mil, plus we could eat some of that deal. In return it's prospects/picks.

Price would give them a serious shot at winning a cup and they'd still have lots of cap space left.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Colorado makes so much sense though. They could send back Grubauer who's making 3 mil, plus we could eat some of that deal. In return it's prospects/picks.

Price would give them a serious shot at winning a cup and they'd still have lots of cap space left.
Unfortunately I doubt Sakic is stupid enough to add to Grubauer to take on Price and his contract.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

What's the evidence that Price wants a Cup?

He signed an extension with the Habs involving an albatross contract. That suggests that he cares most about being comfortable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What if the Habs retained a full 50% of Price's salary?

They would be interested on that for sure IMO... as well as several other teams. A top 10 goalie for a $5.25M cap hit? You bet cup contending teams that need a goalie edge would be all over that. The biggest problem is the NMC... Price might open that up to a few teams but he controls that and once other teams know Price is open to going to their team, they have some leverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What's the evidence that Price wants a Cup?

He signed an extension with the Habs involving an albatross contract. That suggests that he cares most about being comfortable.
Ask me this in the Price thread. I don’t want to derail things here.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wasn't expecting this:

With the Board of Governors' meeting yesterday and Bettman instituting a zero tolerance policy, this may be Dallas bring proactive

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Lol, the return would have to be insane to retain 5m for the next 7 years. Multiple first round picks/prospects.

No team would do this, I think we are stuck with Price's contract for a good long while at least.

Things may change, but for now, in today's NHL, it just doesn't make sense to have your goalie as your highest paid player and biggest star.

In Montreal, we have been doing this for too long now. Pretty much as far back as I can remember. Roy, then later Theodore, and even guys like Huet and Halak for short periods, and now Price. We have always leaned on the goalie to win games.

There are times where it works, not even that long ago. In 2014-15 when Price won all those awards, it worked. The league was different, scoring was way down and overall the game was slower. Benn won the scoring title with 87 points. Stamkos had 72 points for 15th overall in scoring. Think about that for a second... 87 points was the league leader. If we look today, after just ~30 games, Draisaitl and McDavid already have over 50 points. Over 82 games, the 15th overall in scoring will very likely finish 80-85 points, which in 2014-15 would have challenged for the scoring title.

Last year, the scoring title was won by Kucherov and he had 128 pts? We had lots of guys in the 90-100 pt range and 15th overall was Ovechkin with 89 pts!

The league is different. It happened quickly, but scoring has gone way up, everything is less physical but much faster.

It makes 2 points clear:

1) You cannot depend on your goalie to be your main star. There is just too much scoring now, even good goalies let in 3-4 goals often. Most teams have realized this. The best teams roll with 2 decent goalies and alternate them, because they end up having to work so much more now that playing one guy for 70 games will just lead to injuries and fatigue.

2) You absolutely need, at minimum, one star forward to compete. I'm not talking about a guy who puts up 75 pts. This is not good enough anymore, it isn't 2015. Last year, 75 pts was outside the top 30 in scoring. You need at least one guy capable of either 40 goals or 90-100 pts, or both. Preferably multiple guys. It may sound like a lot but it really isn't, most of the teams in our division have this already. We are in the minority because we don't have one. It's basically us, Ottawa and Detroit. In the Metro, you have New Jersey and Columbus, and maybe NYI but they are playing a fantastic team game. The rest of the teams all have at least one guy who will put up over 90 pts.

Your star cannot be your goalie, you will not be able to keep up.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

Another coach fired, that makes 4 already. What a season for coaches.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Another coach fired, that makes 4 already. What a season for coaches.

How are we still stuck with the same sad coaching/management group?

8 straight losses, barely holding on to beat teams that should be worse than us, and nothing has changed except for sacrificing Kinkaid. And don't tell me there isn't some of this "bullying me too" shit out there about Bergevin.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

8 straight losses, barely holding on to beat teams that should be worse than us, and nothing has changed except for sacrificing Kinkaid. And don't tell me there isn't some of this "bullying me too" **** out there about Bergevin.

Because Montgomery was clearly fired for conduct and not performance.

And don't be so sure there's this kind of dirt on MB. You may wish it so he can get canned. But let's not start getting carried away with wanting this kind of info to come out on someone because we don't like how he does his job.

IF there is something on MB that is legitimate, then yes, get rid of him.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

8 straight losses, barely holding on to beat teams that should be worse than us, and nothing has changed except for sacrificing Kinkaid. And don't tell me there isn't some of this "bullying me too" **** out there about Bergevin.
Don't know why Molson signs off on these 5 year contracts (and an eight year contract for a 30 year old player).

They tie their own hands. Gotta believe those contracts are/were a consideration when retaining Bergevin especially.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Will be interesting to see the dirt and the spin on Montgomery.

Also have to wonder if teams are going to play this as cause and avoid payouts. He has two years left, and guys like this are going to have serious issues mitigating.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Didn't Montgomery call out his star players last season when he felt they didn't produce, maybe there was more going on behind closed doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad