Out of Town Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
My point was that his play on the ice always seemed to counter the perception that the off ice activities were a distraction. Obviously since a reporter has seen fit to call him out (which I personally haven't seen before), the play on the ice has deteriorated to the point where he is no longer able to balance the two effectively.

I also am of the mind that we could still use him on our team. I am my own contradiction.
Suban chose his path. It’s not hockey.

Reactions: Big Lurk

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My point was that his play on the ice always seemed to counter the perception that the off ice activities were a distraction. Obviously since a reporter has seen fit to call him out (which I personally haven't seen before), the play on the ice has deteriorated to the point where he is no longer able to balance the two effectively.

I also am of the mind that we could still use him on our team. I am my own contradiction.

Even when his play was at its best they still shit all over him. It is not easy to play at a high level consistently. It takes hard work and most of all incredible focus and determination. He has been embraced by the entertainment world, he doesn't get crapped on for no reason, doesn't get called selfish for doing charity work, doesn't have to deal with any of it AND he gets to do it all with the woman he loves who gets exactly what he's going through. He can just be himself. I don't blame him for changing his focus.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Those two players are still more talented than anything we have, so it isn't a misnomer to say Buffalo is a more talented team than us.
They literally only have Eichel that is better than any Hab. I'd say the Habs have more talent spread out. Weber is a beast right now and Dahlin isnt there yet.

Reactions: jaffy27

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Even when his play was at its best they still **** all over him. It is not easy to play at a high level consistently. It takes hard work and most of all incredible focus and determination. He has been embraced by the entertainment world, he doesn't get crapped on for no reason, doesn't get called selfish for doing charity work, doesn't have to deal with any of it AND he gets to do it all with the woman he loves who gets exactly what he's going through. He can just be himself. I don't blame him for changing his focus.

Thing is...we have to admit that it's incredibly surprising to see how bad he has become. And it has to be a whole lot because of how his focus isn't there anymore. I guess playing in Montreal under immense scrutiny was what he neeeded to keep him focus. Really easy to lose focus when you are not in a hockey market.

Reactions: jaffy27 and cphabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Thing is...we have to admit that it's incredibly surprising to see how bad he has become. And it has to be a whole lot because of how his focus isn't there anymore. I guess playing in Montreal under immense scrutiny was what he neeeded to keep him focus. Really easy to lose focus when you are not in a hockey market.

Are we talking about subban? His competitive advantage was his skating, both in terms of speed, and edgework. He was too fast and slippery to contain, and alot of his success was predicated on that.

I think his decline simply comes down to his skating ability taking a dive. I dont know why that happened quicker than anticipated in his case, but thats really the biggest reason for his struggles.

Reactions: scrubadam and Oryxo

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Suban chose his path. It’s not hockey.
*ref blows whistle* ok now, i hate to break up another good Subban Hate-A-Thon, but that's ridiculous. the guy may be struggling but he's still a pro athlete who laces em up for his ****ty team 82 times a year.

82 times more than the HF critics smartphoning from the couch, btw :laugh:

you guys are too much :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: zeeto and Pickles

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
PK career dropped the day he was traded away from Montreal , i feel like he left a bit of himself in Montreal.
But the injuries started at his last season also.
Even if hes playing bad right now , i loved him in Montreal and was probably the guy i was watching when i watched habs during that time.
His plays , celebrations made me watch the habs.

Now we have a top paid goalie with 0 emotion , a captain close to no soul , and grinders ... a bunch of grinders with no raw talent.

When you open watch the habs this season and the only players who are fun to watch are the prospects even tho none of them are elite tier , says pretty much anything about this team.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Price and Weber are also at the end of their careers.

Price is not even close to being at the end of his career lol. Do I need to list all of the goalies that won Vezinas in their mid 30s? Remember when Roy was at the end of his career and we traded him to Colorado?

Price likely has 5-8 good seasons left barring injury problems. Tons of runway and I’d bet he wins more hardware between now and getting into the HOF

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I miss him a little bit but the reality is that there just aren't many guys left that will oblige him in a fight.
I know he wasn't a great player but he wasn't a big liability in his own end.

The problem is that it always seems like these guys start to have balls when they leave Montreal. It's as if they know they must restrain themselves for the image of the CH. Whereas when you get to wear the Ducks uniform for example, they have a history of liking the more gritty side of hockey and it's an additional motivation to do that.

Reactions: DAChampion

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
PK career dropped the day he was traded away from Montreal , i feel like he left a bit of himself in Montreal.
Even if hes playing bad right now , i loved him in Montreal and was probably the guy i was watching when i watched habs during that time.

Now we have a top paid goalie with 0 emotion , a captain close to no soul , and grinders ... a bunch of grinders with no raw talent.

When you open watch the habs this season and the only players who are fun to watch are the prospects even tho none of them are elite tier , says pretty much anything about this team.

For me, PK was home grown, developed by us and gave us some great years. He grew up a Habs fan and clearly loved the team and city.

He’s flawed, I won’t deny that. He plays high event hockey so while he had some shining moments, he looked bad on some plays also.

That said, he never wanted to leave. He loved everything about the team and city. Yet, the hate he gets is as if he was the one who demanded the trade, then burned the Habs crest on the streets of Toronto while wearing a Bruins jersey.

Anyhow, I’m over the trade. He’s struggling in Jersey, apparently on the decline, but end of the day, it doesn’t impact us directly so good luck to him anyhow.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
PK never was a fast skater. He was shifty and had a low center of gravity. He would give his back to pursuers and they often rode on it. Neck and back injuries changed this.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Even when his play was at its best they still **** all over him. It is not easy to play at a high level consistently. It takes hard work and most of all incredible focus and determination. He has been embraced by the entertainment world, he doesn't get crapped on for no reason, doesn't get called selfish for doing charity work, doesn't have to deal with any of it AND he gets to do it all with the woman he loves who gets exactly what he's going through. He can just be himself. I don't blame him for changing his focus.
I get the spirit of what you're saying and of course I agree but it can definitely be argued by the Devils that there's $9M reasons why he should be totally blamed for changing his focus.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The problem is that it always seems like these guys start to have balls when they leave Montreal. It's as if they know they must restrain themselves for the image of the CH. Whereas when you get to wear the Ducks uniform for example, they have a history of liking the more gritty side of hockey and it's an additional motivation to do that.
I never noticed the lack of grit when playing for us. He did fight 8 times for us.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I did write "when he wore the Habs jersey." And it's ridiculous to bring the 0'14 playoffs vs. the Rangers. Tokarski was our goalkeeper. You think the gameplan stayed the same on defense?

Not just that. In the Preds run for the Cup, Subban was by far the Preds best player, unfortunate own goal notwithstanding. He got a Conn Smythe vote for that 'invisible' performance.

He was usually the best player on ice for the comparatively few playoffs games the Habs had. It's unfortunate there are those who still find it impossible to say anything good whatsoever about PK.

I suspect he's still coordinating his own off-season training which is a horrible mistake and seriously, is there anyone on the Devils who's looking great this season? It would be a shame for him to finish his career in that garbage dump.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

Agree with the first part. Disagree with the suggestion that Price and Weber make the Habs less interesting. Oh, and that Gallagher guy has quite the personality too. Add in Domi as well. I like our team. Even though they're not there yet, since last year, the Habs have been a positive thought, and it'll only get better. PK definitely shone when he was here, and that was great. I'm absolutely fine with Weber beasting it out there - it's a different kind of pride.

Reactions: Habby4Life

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I doubt off ice activities could ever be a distraction for PK. I think it's how he clears his mind of hockey between games - he's certainly not the only player spending a great deal of time in community service.

Have you ever heard of another player who's so generous with his time be called out for it by a reporter? It doesn't happen. This sounds like Steve Simmons and hotdogs in Toronto. That was a clear case of "out to get someone".

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agree with the first part. Disagree with the suggestion that Price and Weber make the Habs less interesting. Oh, and that Gallagher guy has quite the personality too. Add in Domi as well. I like our team. Even though they're not there yet, since last year, the Habs have been a positive thought, and it'll only get better. PK definitely shone when he was here, and that was great. I'm absolutely fine with Weber beasting it out there - it's a different kind of pride.
Euh..ya..sure, except, we're not better..
Last year was great, this team isn't better than last year, so there goes your ''it'll only get better'' theory.
Not there yet...we are nowhere near being ''there''.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I doubt off ice activities could ever be a distraction for PK. I think it's how he clears his mind of hockey between games - he's certainly not the only player spending a great deal of time in community service.

Have you ever heard of another player who's so generous with his time be called out for it by a reporter? It doesn't happen. This sounds like Steve Simmons and hotdogs in Toronto. That was a clear case of "out to get someone".

The ''problem'' is PK is huge on social media. He posts his stuff on a daily. I don't know if the rest of the hockey players are as active. With PK though it's not just showing some stories of him training or playing a game, it's that, then his love life, then it's video of him at an award show or gala or event, then a new restaurant, etc...
He shows it all so it looks like he's all over the place, but then, maybe others have a similar lifestyle they just don't advertise it.

That said, I do think his off-season trainings just aren't helping him. Never been a fan of them. This year he was better, he didn't do all the pointless track training he did the year prior, but still, doesn't seem like the optimal way to train.

Reactions: groovejuice

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Euh..ya..sure, except, we're not better..
Last year was great, this team isn't better than last year, so there goes your ''it'll only get better'' theory.
Not there yet...we are nowhere near being ''there''.

Our prospects will change your mind, and they seem to be developing faster than ever. Cale Fleury makes me smile. Suzuki makes me beam. It sucks that Price and Weber are towards the tail end (although I absolutely think they'll be very good for 3-4 more years, realizing i'm in the minority). Norlinder, Caufield, Romanov... things will get much, much better.

Reactions: WinterLion

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The ''problem'' is PK is huge on social media. He posts his stuff on a daily. I don't know if the rest of the hockey players are as active. With PK though it's not just showing some stories of him training or playing a game, it's that, then his love life, then it's video of him at an award show or gala or event, then a new restaurant, etc...
He shows it all so it looks like he's all over the place, but then, maybe others have a similar lifestyle they just don't advertise it.

That said, I do think his off-season trainings just aren't helping him. Never been a fan of them. This year he was better, he didn't do all the pointless track training he did the year prior, but still, doesn't seem like the optimal way to train.

He is omnipresent on social media, but I don't think that translates to a great deal of time.

He definitely seems to be going for strength and tricks with the puck in his training. I'd like to him lighter, more flexible and faster. His blade work has always been great, but his speed has been an real obstacle in recent years.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Our prospects will change your mind, and they seem to be developing faster than ever. Cale Fleury makes me smile. Suzuki makes me beam. It sucks that Price and Weber are towards the tail end (although I absolutely think they'll be very good for 3-4 more years, realizing i'm in the minority). Norlinder, Caufield, Romanov... things will get much, much better.

I agree the prospects are encouraging and they need to keep adding to the pool.

IMO, they should move vets Price, Weber, Petry etc and go all in with a youth movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad