Out of Town Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only took them a light year to get there offensively. Congrats. We should probably just give them the stanley cup today.

I wonder if Tavares signs if they lost the draft lottery and ended up with Puljujarvi vs Matthews?

- Trades Kessel and captain pylon in liquidation trade value to help them tank.
- Finishes last and also wins the draft lottery (20% chance to win). They get Matthews
- They insert the 3 young guns all in one season and turn their direction around.
- Tavares becomes UFA cause the Islanders were going nowhere and he liked the idea playing for a very good young team who he cheered for as a kid.

They had some luck. But I do give Shanahan credit for liquidating Kessel and Phaneuf to set them selfs up to be in the best situation possible to win the lottery

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Only took them a light year to get there offensively. Congrats. We should probably just give them the stanley cup today.

Oh they're definitely a team built through the lottery. I'm just saying, this is a team we're going to need to go through to win a cup.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Lemieux had issues with his back dating back from juniors. He's always had to deal with major health issues, and to that you add the cancer. While Orr had bad knees, he didn't have guys hanging onto him to go for a ride like Lemieux often did. I don't think you realize in how terrible shape Lemieux was...there was a point where he couldn't even tie his own skates, he'd still go out and dominate.
The Pens even cuztomised his own stall so he'd be more comfortable sitting down and giving room for trainers to tie him up. The Dr. there even recalls how they would help him stand up and give him a little push to get him moving.

You should watch Lemieux documentaries, they give some good insight into just how bad it was for him.

It's not comparable.
I saw both players play and there was Orr on one level and Lemieux and the rest on another level. I saw both players play many times growing up. It’s a difference of opinion. You have yours, I have mine. Move on.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
To not factor in simple health issues like..you know...cancer...shows a complete lack of objectivity.
I said ''to me'' it isn't debatable, and that's because of his health issues. Maybe it's because I work in the field of physical health and performance..I am aware of the gruel affects of steady performance, so to do what he did with his poor health, to me, is pretty much superhero-esque, and none of the other GOATs fall into that category. He is on his own.
The problem here is cancer wasn't a diagnosis until 92-93, we already seen the best Lemieux. No one is saying what he did that season wasn't remarkable. He underwent radiation/chemo to comeback and take an Art Ross from Patty Lafontaine, simply incredible, but this doesn't elevate him to the best ever. Incredible display for sure.

Wayne had a 51 game point streak where he averaged 3 ppg, simply unreal.

Mario had a lot of health issues beyond his control, but Mario never took great care of himself either. His fitness, diet, conditioning, smoking cigarettes were all self inflicted Wounds tgat contributed to his overall poor health. Gretzky on the other hand was a fitness freak and took better care of himself, sorry but this isn't something that Mario should be credited for.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Disagree., You can't sweep their talent under the rug. Its also why I consider Koivu a #1C. Major health issues and great skill and hockey IQ, but he would ave been much better if he hadn't been injured so badly.

Mike Bossy is another guy that should be considered top 10 all time goal scorer but people forget a lot about him.
Bossy is still a top 10 goal scorer of all time. In fact he's probably thought of more highly than he should have been because his lack of games played post prime. Same thing applies to Orr. No one remembers them in their late 30's struggling to keep up. A lot of ppl seem to remember Wayne as a Ranger and forget about his dominance in Edmonton/LA. Lemieux was much more reliant on the PP and Wayne was much dominant at even strength. I can see an argument that Lemieux may have had more physical talent, but the buck stops there IMO. Gretzky was greater.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The problem here is cancer wasn't a diagnosis until 92-93, we already seen the best Lemieux. No one is saying what he did that season wasn't remarkable. He underwent radiation/chemo to comeback and take an Art Ross from Patty Lafontaine, simply incredible, but this doesn't elevate him to the best ever. Incredible display for sure.

Mario had a lot of health issues beyond his control, but Mario never took great care of himself either. His fitness, diet, conditioning, smoking cigarettes were all self inflicted Wounds tgat contributed to his overall poor health. Gretzky on the other hand was a fitness freak and took better care of himself, sorry but this isn't something that Mario should be credited for.
Yeah when noraml games were 7-5...there is no comparing players or eras. But you can argue both were among the best. Richard during his time was unbelievable. But no one really puts him in the same category as everyone else.

Grant fuhrs numbers while being on a super winning team. Wouldn't be a backup to condon given the numbers in the present nhl
1981–82 Edmonton Oilers NHL 48 28 5 14 2847 157 0 3.31 .899 5 2 3 309 26 0 5.05 .852
1982–83 Edmonton Oilers NHL 32 13 12 5 1803 129 0 4.29 .868 1 0 0 11 0 0 0.00 1.000
1982–83 Moncton Alpines AHL 10 4 5 1 604 40 0 3.97
1983–84 Edmonton Oilers NHL 45 30 10 4 2625 171 1 3.91 .883 16 11 4 882 44 1 3.00 .910
1984–85 Edmonton Oilers NHL 46 26 8 7 2559 165 1 3.87 .884 18 15 3 1057 55 0 3.12 .895
1985–86 Edmonton Oilers NHL 40 29 8 0 2184 143 0 3.93 .890 9 5 4 540 28 0 3.12 .897
1986–87 Edmonton Oilers NHL 44 22 13 3 2388 137 0 3.44 .881 19 14 5 1143 47 0 2.47 .908
1987–88 Edmonton Oilers NHL 75 40 24 9 4304 246 4 3.43 .881 19 16 2 1136 55 0 2.91 .883
1988–89 Edmonton Oilers NHL 59 23 26 6 3341 213 1 3.83 .875 7 3 4 417 24 1 3.45 .894
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Wayne Gretzky has ultimately had the best career. What can be argued for Mario is that he may have been the most talented player ever, but that's a different statement.

I didn't know about the health care aspect. I'm sure that professional athletes today avoid smoking cigarettes and going to the Cheesecake Factory, but I don't think they tried as hard in the 1970s. If so, Gretzky was ahead of the curve.

Reactions: montreal

Jul 6, 2016
Bossy is still a top 10 goal scorer of all time. In fact he's probably thought of more highly than he should have been because his lack of games played post prime. Same thing applies to Orr. No one remembers them in their late 30's struggling to keep up. A lot of ppl seem to remember Wayne as a Ranger and forget about his dominance in Edmonton/LA. Lemieux was much more reliant on the PP and Wayne was much dominant at even strength. I can see an argument that Lemieux may have had more physical talent, but the buck stops there IMO. Gretzky was greater.

Lemieux was more abused physically than Gretzky who had Semenko and McSorley to take care of him.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Wayne Gretzky has ultimately had the best career. What can be argued for Mario is that he may have been the most talented player ever, but that's a different statement.

I didn't know about the health care aspect. I'm sure that professional athletes today avoid smoking cigarettes and going to the Cheesecake Factory, but I don't think they tried as hard in the 1970s. If so, Gretzky was ahead of the curve.
I took Lemieux 5 years to be surrounded with talent, while Gretzky started playing in his second season with Kurri, Messier, Anderson Coffey and company. In comparison, Mario played with Cunneyworth, Errey, Quinn, Ruskowski and Doug Bodger:laugh:

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
... continue discussion here.
DLR scored a goal his last game. He is barely on a 20pt, 9 min/game pace.
If I follow the "asset management" experts around here correctly, look for DTW to trade him while he's blooming like the rare orchid he has become.
If they don't, I fully expect to see a ton of posts here calling out DTW for keeping him when he's at such unbelievable value.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
DLR scored a goal his last game. He is barely on a 20pt, 9 min/game pace.
If I follow the "asset management" experts around here correctly, look for DTW to trade him while he's blooming like the rare orchid he has become.
If they don't, I fully expect to see a ton of posts here calling out DTW for keeping him when he's at such unbelievable value.

Is anyone here following Detroit to any level of detail?

Is his production a fluke?

He was said to be an offensive black hole. His production should be at a 0-point pace.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
This guy was a good player for the Blues...........what happened here? Did not want to go to Buffalo? Weird...

TSN690 just said the Sabres are gonna terminate his contract and Berglund will forfeit 12.5m dollars. I guess he really doesn't want to play in Buffalo to give up that much money or is there some other issue going on with him?

Jul 6, 2016
TSN690 just said the Sabres are gonna terminate his contract and Berglund will forfeit 12.5m dollars. I guess he really doesn't want to play in Buffalo to give up that much money or is there some other issue going on with him?

Does it mean he becomes a totally UFA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad