Out of Town Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'd put Howe in a category of his own, above those secondary guys, in the same tier as Gretzky and Lemieux. Howe's dominance alone was enough to rank him among the all-time best, but when you factor in his surreal longevity -- playing until he was freakin' 52!! -- he pulls away from the pack. Being a core player for 30 years is such a weird stat you can't even compare it to anyone else. His impact was so strong and for so long he can be argued as being the best player ever.
I personally rank Lemieux 4th of the big four. Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux is usually the widely accepted ranking and for ppl that have researched the all time rankings this is the most common ranking.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
They do that in the US regardless of the teams that play. Do they only sing the Canadian anthem if for instance the Canucks play the Oilers?
I think its only in Buffalo because of Canadian season tickets holders and the proximity. In Canada I think they only sing the one anthem when both teams are from Canada.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
They do that in the US regardless of the teams that play. Do they only sing the Canadian anthem if for instance the Canucks play the Oilers?

Yep. I always joke that I’m glad when the Habs are playing a Canadian team I only have to hear one anthem.

Anthems at NHL/MLB/NFL/NBA etc. games just seem so flipping stupid to me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I personally rank Lemieux 4th of the big four. Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux is usually the widely accepted ranking and for ppl that have researched the all time rankings this is the most common ranking.
Lemieux is best of all time for me. What this guy did..is just insane. We never saw Lemieux plat at 100%. Never 90% either...Maybe the closest was one or two years of 75%. Rest of the time he must have been around 50-60%.
The guy had a radiation treatment for cancer in the morning...then flew to Philly to play..
The year he was diagnosed with cancer, he was on a scoring pace that would have him challenge Gretzky's high. He was doing that....with a cancer in his body. You realize how nuts that is? To make it even more insane, the guy was also dealing with a messed up back that needed surgery after that season.
It's a damn shame we never got to see Lemieux play healthy. He would have destroyed Gretzky's records imo.
Oh..and the year he had to miss a couple months to cancer...he came back and still won the scoring title in the NHL...Say what now? How the hell is that even humanely possible?

Lemieux is the greatest player to ever lived, there is no question about it for me. Not even debatable. What he was able to accomplish despite his terrible health is borderline mythical.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think its only in Buffalo because of Canadian season tickets holders and the proximity. In Canada I think they only sing the one anthem when both teams are from Canada.

That's exactly right. The sabres are the only team that I know of that does this, and i first noticed it in the 90s. Not sure how far it goes back.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Lemieux is best of all time for me. What this guy did..is just insane. We never saw Lemieux plat at 100%. Never 90% either...Maybe the closest was one or two years of 75%. Rest of the time he must have been around 50-60%.
The guy had a radiation treatment for cancer in the morning...then flew to Philly to play..
The year he was diagnosed with cancer, he was on a scoring pace that would have him challenge Gretzky's high. He was doing that....with a cancer in his body. You realize how nuts that is? To make it even more insane, the guy was also dealing with a messed up back that needed surgery after that season.
It's a damn shame we never got to see Lemieux play healthy. He would have destroyed Gretzky's records imo.

Lemieux is the greatest player to ever lived, there is no question about it for me. Not even debatable. What he was able to accomplish despite his terrible health is borderline mythical.

Agree, to me his is the greatest ever. By far the greatest talent to ever play. And he played in the clutch and grab era, bad back, cancer, had guys hanging off him and did crazy things.

Reactions: Fenris

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would love this. I always hear stories about the old rivalry, but I was too young to see it.
As a young habs fan this was my favorite rivalry for the habs, both of those teams played some great hockey against each other. The Nords were a good team in the 80s and they beat us many times. The intensity was just as great in October as it was in playoff time, I wish they were still there.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Oh..and the year he had to miss a couple months to cancer...he came back and still won the scoring title in the NHL...Say what now? How the hell is that even humanely possible?

Same can easily be said for Bobby Orr who had 4 major knee operations and was done by the age of 28. I had the privilege of seeing Orr play and in my book he was the greatest hockey play god ever sculpted. What Orr was able to do as a defenseman is simply legendary.

Reactions: Fenris

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Agree, to me his is the greatest ever. By far the greatest talent to ever play. And he played in the clutch and grab era, bad back, cancer, had guys hanging off him and did crazy things.
And the Pens had a hard time paying him at some point. Depressing career..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Same can easily be said for Bobby Orr who had 4 major knee operations and was done by the age of 28. I had the privilege of seeing Orr play and in my book he was the greatest hockey play god ever sculpted. What Orr was able to do as a defenseman is simply legendary.
Sorry man..but knee surgeries aren't going to kill you. You don't need to do radiation treatment that is specifically designed to physically beat the crap out of your entire body, so no, can't say the same.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sorry man..but knee surgeries aren't going to kill you. You don't need to do radiation treatment that is specifically designed to physically beat the crap out of your entire body, so no, can't say the same.
The same can be said because Mario’s hardship occurred in 92-93 and he never again had a recurrence thankfully. Orr had serious knee issues his entire career.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Jesus.
Galchenyuk already a Minus 2 tonight
I have a rotten feeling he’s gonna tee off on us on Thursday

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yep. I always joke that I’m glad when the Habs are playing a Canadian team I only have to hear one anthem.

I agree 100%, How long have they been playing national amthems for sport events, is it a cold war thing like the pledge that US kids do in school? They never did that when I lived in Sweden except for when the national team played. However it wouldn't surprise me if they do that now. Neither were there any commercial stops as long as I lived there. Now they have those as well.

Reactions: McTusk

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
As a young habs fan this was my favorite rivalry for the habs, both of those teams played some great hockey against each other. The Nords were a good team in the 80s and they beat us many times. The intensity was just as great in October as it was in playoff time, I wish they were still there.

Why were they moved to Denver?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Watching several games tonight and not one team plays as poorly as the Habs in their own end. Do the Habs in fact have the worst D Corps in the league?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Jesus.
Galchenyuk already a Minus 2 tonight
I have a rotten feeling he’s gonna tee off on us on Thursday
I’m watching this one. He’s with Keller and Schmaltz and just seems confused by what the two of them are trying to do. He’s like just watching them.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

They are let Nascar have them with their fly overs. :laugh: Maybe playoffs that's it.

Reactions: McTusk

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo plays both anthems regardless of what teams are playing

I thought they did it everywhere because most of the players are Canadian. I have watched the Winterhawks 6 times in the WHL here in Portland and they have always played the 2 anthems. So I just went back and looked at the tickets and they were actually playing Canadian WHL teams all 6 times.

Reactions: Tyson and McTusk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad