Out of town thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Domi's skill is not as obvious or showy as someone like Galchenyuk. Something's changed with him, cause he never used to be able to to shoot the puck as hard or as accurately as he has been doing this year. That's a new part of his game. And I think another aspect is the chemistry he has with Drouin. Nobody said he's not a skilled player, just that he doesn't have that high end talent that Galchenyuk did. But it doesn't matter, because talent is only as good as your drive will take you.
What high end talent did Chucky have though? He could stick handle in a phone booth but not at high speed, and he had a laser beam shot that missed the net as often as it hit it.

I think you're underselling Domi by saying that Chucky is more talented. Different players, different strengths, and like you alluded to the sum of the parts don't necessarily make the better player.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
giphy.gif

Lol, jk.

giphy.gif

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I just don’t understand why Galchenyuk gets so much love on here
He’s a Decent player who never really did much outside of one 30’goal year when the team was completely out of
I get the PK love. He wore his heart on his sleeve and performed. He deserves the love. But Galchenyuk. Really. ? A second line winger? He can’t even toe Gallagher’s shoes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He’s a Decent player who never really did much outside of one 30’goal year when the team was completely out of
I get the PK love. He wore his heart on his sleeve and performed. He deserves the love. But Galchenyuk. Really. ? A second line winger? He can’t even toe Gallagher’s shoes.

I believe that notwithstanding his own responsibilities as a young, immature and impressionable mind, Galchenyuk could've turned out a lot better if our management actually had known how to handle him. The talent is there. Even the IQ, regardless of the exagerations that people bring out. Not every student is meant to be handled the same way, and I truly think that despite his own predispositions, there was a lot to work with. Not many players can go on a ppg pace over 3/4 of a season. There was something there. Something that could've been brought to further consistency.

It's the wasted talent that is bothersome. And to me, it's part on him, a young man who doesn't have all his bearings yet, but much more on the organization that should've found a way to take better care of his future.

Reactions: groovejuice

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I believe that notwithstanding his own responsibilities as a young, immature and impressionable mind, Galchenyuk could've turned out a lot better if our management actually had known how to handle him. The talent is there. Even the IQ, regardless of the exagerations that people bring out. Not every student is meant to be handled the same way, and I truly think that despite his own predispositions, there was a lot to work with. Not many players can go on a ppg pace over 3/4 of a season. There was something there. Something that could've been brought to further consistency.

It's the wasted talent that is bothersome. And to me, it's part on him, a young man who doesn't have all his bearings yet, but much more on the organization that should've found a way to take better care of his future.
At some point a player has to take responsibility. I see where you said that
The habs haven’t really butchered many players progression
Price, Pacioretty, subban , Gallagher are all all star or were
Personally I’m putting this more on Galchenyuk than the organization.
Plus he had the toxic family which was written about in the gazette
Also we acquired guys like Byron on waivers and Petrt for next to nothing who have both flourished under this management
Every team has busts in every league. There’s zero exceptions

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
At some point a player has to take responsibility. I see where you said that
The habs haven’t really butchered many players progression
Price, Pacioretty, subban , Gallagher are all all star or were
Personally I’m putting this more on Galchenyuk than the organization.
Plus he had the toxic family which was written about in the gazette
Also we acquired guys like Byron on waivers and Petrt for next to nothing who have both flourished under this management
Every team has busts in every league. There’s zero exceptions

The fact you call him a bust when he's top 5 in hindsight in his own draft, and is a consistent 50 pts player tells you carry a negative bias and aren't entirely objective.

I have no bias. I didn't shed any tears or made any comments when he got traded. Go look at the Domi trade thread, if I even responded, I can't remember, but I was mostly neutral. Just thought we were trading problem childs.

When it comes to Galchenyuk, for me, it's just about what I see.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
The fact you call him a bust when he's top 5 in hindsight in his own draft, and is a consistent 50 pts player tells you carry a negative bias and aren't entirely objective.

I have no bias. I didn't shed any tears or made any comments when he got traded. Go look at the Domi trade thread, if I even responded, I can't remember, but I was mostly neutral. Just thought we were trading problem childs.

When it comes to Galchenyuk, for me, it's just about what I see.
The bust thing wasn’t directed st Galchenyuk. I’ve said many a time Galchenyuk is a good second line winger
The bust comment was for guys like McCarron and sherbak
Outside of Eller not one hab player that was traded by this management has gone on to play better hockey than they did in Montreal including PK who was just as good in Montreal as he is in Nashville. He plays on a bettet team

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

In 2012, much like 2018, the Habs needed some kind of saviour. Ironically, in both drafts, the Habs were making their first selection at #3. In both drafts, we were looking for that premium centerman. Back in 2012, Galchenyuk was already getting some hype on this board even though he barely played at all in his previous season. After being drafted, he played his first season centering Goldobin on the "second" line. He was quickly moved up to play on the wing with Yakupov and Charlie Sarault (the actual centerman of that line). They kinda tore it up when all 3 were together. Then the lockout ended and the training camp started. The Habs were blessed by 2 young rookies in Galchy and Gally or what they were called the Gallys.

By the end of the season, the EGG line was formed and kept getting great scoring chances (as well as scoring). People loved the young players and wanted to see more of them. There were plenty of HabsTV vids with those 2 + Subban. They soon became fan favorites. The cult of Eller started there. Same for Galchy (and Gally to some extent).

Gally probably has the better workrate of those 3. Yet, some people feel like the other two never had better chances (linemates or ice-time)

I don't believe Galchenyuk is a bad player but confidence may have been lacking overall. Anyhow, there's probably something really bad in Arizona's water. I mean.. Domi's production exploded since leaving that city. That team really needs to move out...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Many people here will say that if he wasn't able to adapt to what management wanted from him and how they communicated with him, then he doesn't deserve to be here and should be gone. All his fault. That's one way to look at it. Tow the line or get out. Not how I conduct myself in life or in business but everyone has different views of things. I believe you should tailor your approach to get the best out of each individual on your team, especially those with high potential.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Galchy looked excellent in his first season (lockout shortened) with Eller and Gally. They were properly sheltered on a third line and they did very well. Galchy was playing LW, and he seemed at ease there.

Montreal's nightlife + the over presence of his father did not helped him at all. At some point, the kid has to listen to his coaches, not his parents.

MT is bashed here, but he is the one who put him between Gally and Patches for the end of 2015-16 season, and for the start of the 2016-17 season before he was injured. He still was not a good centerman, but he was producing thanks to Radulov and Patches.
He came back totally out of shape. Normal ? I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last year was awful. For Galchy but for the whole team as well. When MB talked about "attitude" problems, Galchy was in that basket with few others.

He might not had been used to his full potential, but he has to share the responsability of his lack of development and production.
Well put. Also, people around here forget that the hot streak in the 30 goal season started with him playing on Plekanec's wing, before he was moved to centre.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Many people here will say that if he wasn't able to adapt to what management wanted from him and how they communicated with him, then he doesn't deserve to be here and should be gone. All his fault. That's one way to look at it. Tow the line or get out. Not how I conduct myself in life or in business but everyone has different views of things. I believe you should tailor your approach to get the best out of each individual on your team, especially those with high potential.
My point exactly

That's how you can get the most out of all of them. Not try to fit every pigeon into the same damn hole.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
I still think he could have been handled differently. Not absolving him of all the responsibility but when he arrived here, he was hungry, enthusiastic, and played with tons of energy. He was excited. I remember when he scored and kissed the jersey. Then I remember Pacioretty telling him "act like you've scored before" which I thought was a real piece of **** thing to say to a young player. And then he really started spiraling. Not saying he's blameless, but people fall into drugs and alcohol addiction for a reason, it's not just cause they like to party. I really wish management would have been able to connect with this guy and figure out what his deal was.

No, you pretty much. There and in the other posts.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Out of '15 Draft, who do you take Marner or Barzal?

Great question. If it was back in 2015 Marner was ranked higher so I would've taken him.

In present day it's still a hard question given we've struggled to have a competent C lineup for decades so I'd lean on Barzal but Marner seems to have higher offensive upside.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I still think he could have been handled differently. Not absolving him of all the responsibility but when he arrived here, he was hungry, enthusiastic, and played with tons of energy. He was excited. I remember when he scored and kissed the jersey. Then I remember Pacioretty telling him "act like you've scored before" which I thought was a real piece of **** thing to say to a young player. And then he really started spiraling. Not saying he's blameless, but people fall into drugs and alcohol addiction for a reason, it's not just cause they like to party. I really wish management would have been able to connect with this guy and figure out what his deal was.

Bold: Why is that such a big deal?

Body language and keeping your emotions in check is very important to not get too high or low.

The fact you say Max did a 'real piece of shit thing' by trying to keep Galchenyuk's highs and lows in check and showing maturity then say you wish management tried to connect with a kid who went on highs and lows and into addiction...

It's confusing. You can't play both sides there. I mean...I'm sure you can force it and invent something but you blame Max for helping Galchenyuk learn to be a pro then complain management didn't help galchenyuk grow into a pro.

Whatever. I hope Galchenyuk has moved passed any bad behaviors he may or may not have had and leads a healthy and successful career.

Reactions: Fergy22 and Zorba

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

If Pacioretty really said that, somehow I wouldn't be surprised he subconsciously felt threatened by a young gun.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
No matter the tone, it's kinda petty to say that

I can bet his shrink's annual salary that he felt threatened by Chucky's goalscoring.

I think you guys are forcing it. If anything, it seems more like Max was telling him not to get too excited because there will be plenty, he's a goal scorer.

You guys make it sound like the quote was "Max told me to act like a grinder who is lucky to get a goal, so that's what I did."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad