Out of Town Thread Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, I remember. Hopefully their team does too. It would be nice to see the Sabres learn their lesson and become relevant again.

And just like I predicted, Buffalo and Edmonton are leading the league! (said zero experts or fans)
I expect they will both come back down to earth at one point. I like the Tippet factor in Edmonton he's a proven winner. Buffalo need to watch their GA if they hope to maintain a playoff spot. They can be susceptible to giving up goals IMO.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Thats the thing though... every flaw that the Maple leafs have or had, this team has. Weve basically reverted back to being the Leafs with our moral victories and the Leafs are now the Habs. Do you remember how petty the Leafs fans were from the 00s to like 2015? I do. Wasnt pretty.

Now the roles are reversed and the Habs fans are the petty one.

Its a losers mentality and its cringe worthy.
Sure, and I agree the whole thing's petty. I mean, we're rooting for hockey teams -- how can that NOT be petty?

But rooting for someone also means rooting against someone else, no? I've had a well-established relationship with the Leafs and the Bruins for 50 years. That ain't changing just because the Habs are in a down cycle; it ain't gonna change if the Habs win the Cup.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure, and I agree the whole thing's petty. I mean, we're rooting for hockey teams -- how can that NOT be petty?

But rooting for someone also means rooting against someone else, no? I've had a well-established relationship with the Leafs and the Bruins for 50 years. That ain't changing just because the Habs are in a down cycle; it ain't gonna change if the Habs win the Cup.
My gripe is more about laughing at the fans and the management than actually hating the team or what ever.

Even so, do you really hate the Bruins or the Leafs ? Those rivalries are dead. There's no rivalries, in fact, the team just sucks.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My gripe is more about laughing at the fans and the management than actually hating the team or what ever.

Even so, do you really hate the Bruins or the Leafs ? Those rivalries are dead. There's no rivalries, in fact, the team just sucks.

Get out of town :sarcasm:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Agree, just because the Habs aren't a contender doesn't mean I can't enjoy the anguish of the obnoxious leafs fan base. There has been a weird shift on this board the past few years where Habs fans seem to idolize other teams, even if they're not that good.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I don't hate most of the Bruins players; I've even gotten to know and like a lot of their fans on HF. Same with Toronto, although their many nice fans are drowned out by the screaming, yattering, boastful infestation of "Leaf Nation!".

But I have to hate something, so... um... what I hate is the philosophical concept of the Bruins and the Leafs. The Bruins represent the bully-boy mentality that spears you in the nuts until you hit them back, at which point they whine that life is unfair. The Leafs represent the entitlement of a mob, who believe they're the biggest and best and most important because the media tells them they are.

So, basically, my real rivalry is with Jungian archetypes.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Agree, just because the Habs aren't a contender doesn't mean I can't enjoy the anguish of the obnoxious leafs fan base. There has been a weird shift on this board the past few years where Habs fans seem to idolize other teams, even if they're not that good.

I rarely watch other teams games.
But I've watched WSH vs TOR, PIT vs COL and CGY vs PHI yesterday, and I get them. We dont have a lot of gamebreaking talent except for Price.
Every part of our game is grinding and struggle. Id like it if Bergevin would respect talent more.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Exactly. My favourite band's latest record may stink, but it doesn't make Shawn Mendes' songs any better.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I wonder if the Sabres are for real.

Them signing Ralph Kreuger as head coach was a great move. He did great things with Edmonton his only year as head coach, guys like Hall/Gagner/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz played very well and regressed once they replaced Kreuger with Eakins.

I guess in retrospect the Oilers getting rid of Kreuger was great for them since they ended up going back to being terrible which led them to get McDavid.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I rarely watch other teams games.
But I've watched WSH vs TOR, PIT vs COL and CGY vs PHI yesterday, and I get them. We dont have a lot of gamebreaking talent except for Price.
Every part of our game is grinding and struggle. Id like it if Bergevin would respect talent more.
I wish we had more talent too. But I never wish I was a Leafs fan.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I hate everything about the Oiler franchise, just reminds me of a minor league system, but jesus christ.... that Connor McDavid is unbelievable to watch.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I just saw a story that Galchenyuk was bitten by a spider and had quite an allergic reaction to it. This was apparently reported by Bob McKenzie during a Pens game. This belongs to the category weird story I guess ;p

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I just saw a story that Galchenyuk was bitten by a spider and had quite an allergic reaction to it. This was apparently reported by Bob McKenzie during a Pens game. This belongs to the category weird story I guess ;p

Yes and no. In the grand scheme of things it's not rare. My brother in law was stung by a bee couple of years ago and ended up in a hospital and missed couple of days of work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Babcock should get fired. As much as I like to make fun of the Leafs for their lack of playoff success, their current lineup is one if the best in the league. They are underperforming with that roster.

Leafs have fire power and a deadly PP. After that, everything they have is average. Except Andersen... he is a good goalie. Top 10 and arguably top 5 to some.

Babcock gets the best out of players. I think you are overrating their team cause they have flashy offensive players. Dubas as a young GM might be their problem! Overpaid for all 3... Nylander, Matthews, and Marner and has not addressed the team toughness and Defensive issues.

Leafs are a good team but underperforming cause of Babcock? I don't think so. Their team D and toughness is an issue and that is on the GM. Teams that go on deep runs have studs on D who can shut you down as well as fire power up front. Leafs don't have studs on D that can shut you down. Only one that fits is Muzzin. Rielly is not Hedman

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Leafs have fire power and a deadly PP. After that, everything they have is average. Except Andersen... he is a good goalie. Top 10 and arguably top 5 to some.

Babcock gets the best out of players. I think you are overrating their team cause they have flashy offensive players.
Not many if any team has 3 forwards better than Matthews, Tavares and Marner. Their depth could be better, but it's far from bad. Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen. Their defense is iffy but Rielly is a stud #1, Barrie is a good #2 and Muzzin is a good 2nd pairing dman. Andersen is also one of the better starters in the league. That roster should be doing some serious damage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not many if any team has 3 forwards better than Matthews, Tavares and Marner. Their depth could be better, but it's far from bad. Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen. Their defense is iffy but Rielly is a stud #1, Barrie is a good #2 and Muzzin is a good 2nd pairing dman. Andersen is also one of the better starters in the league. That roster should be doing some serious damage.

Problem is team toughness and lack of studs on D that can shut you down. Not talking about Alzner types with shutdown D either. Do you consider Rielly a complete D? I think he is one of the best offensive D man but in terms of defensive D, he is average or slightly above. Muzzin might be their best complete D man and yeah, I know some will come to Rielly's defense cause he is so goon offensively. Not saying they should get rid of him but they desperately need a stud for Rielly to play with on the RD side.

Barrie and Ceci are not the answers. They are patch work

If the Canes were offering Pesce for Nylander, Dubas was stupid for not taking that deal. Pesce is not flashy but he gets the job done!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Problem is team toughness and lack of studs on D that can shut you down. Not talking about Alzner types with shutdown D either. Do you consider Rielly a complete D? I think he is one of the best offensive D man but in terms of defensive D, he is average or slightly above. Muzzin might be their best complete D man and yeah, I know some will come to Rielly's defense. Not saying they should get rid of him but they desperately need a stud for Rielly to play with on the RD side.
Toughness didnt stop Tampa from going to the scf and ecf multiple times. Leafs could use a shutdown dman, but their roster is still too good to not have a playoff series win.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Toughness didnt stop Tampa from going to the scf and ecf multiple times. Leafs could use a shutdown dman, but their roster is still too good to not have a playoff series win.

Stopped Tampa last year and it has stopped the Leafs the last few years (Caps, and Bruins twice). Tampa's core is awesome but no cup yet?

But yeah, if the Leafs want to copy cat the Pens model to win, they can try but they don't have Crosby and Malkin. I doubt a team with that kind of core build wins a cup for a very long time!

I agree the Leafs have very good pieces but addressing the areas of weakness will be an issue. They need to win the division and face off against a team that they fit well against. That's how they can go on a deep run potentially.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Stopped Tampa last year and it has stopped the Leafs the last few years (Caps, and Bruins twice).

But yeah, if the Leafs want to copy cat the Pens model to win, they can try but they don't have Crosby and Malkin
Oh come on, last year was an anomaly. How about all those ecfs appearances and that scf appearance?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh come on, last year was an anomaly. How about all those ecfs appearances and that scf appearance?

Stanley cup winners in recent seasons if you take the Pens out...

Blues, Caps, Blackhawks, Kings, Ducks. What's the recipe for success? Team toughness, some firepower up front, very good team D and goaltending. Like I said, if the Leafs want to model their cup contending team like the Pens, good luck with that!

Team toughness and studs on D that can shut you down will hold the Leafs back IMO. Andersen can only do so much

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Recency bias is real

One team with Pat Maroon on it has success and now were in a tough league yadda yadda

Nope... it's deeper than just last year and how the Pens have wo in recent seasons. Look at post 974

Leafs want to win like the Pens model. Do you think it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad