Out of Town Thread Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Stanley cup winners in recent seasons if you take the Pens out...

Blues, Caps, Blackhawks, Kings, Ducks. What's the recipe for success? Team toughness, some firepower up front, very good team D and goaltending. Like I said, if the Leafs want to model their cup contending team like the Pens, good luck with that!

Team toughness and studs on D that can shut you down will hold the Leafs back IMO.
This has absolutely nothing with what I had to say and you know it. I told you how Tampa had playoff success despite not being tough. So how come the Leafs who arent tough cant even manage to win a damn series when Tampa can? When the Jets were good, they were a lot tougher than Tampa but were still far less successful in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This has absolutely nothing with what I had to say and you know it. I told you how Tampa had playoff success despite not being tough. So how come the Leafs who arent tough cant even manage to win a damn series when Tampa can? When the Jets were good, they were a lot tougher than Tampa but were still far less successful in the playoffs.

Tampa has studs on D though right? And who missed games in the playoffs and was also playing hurt last year? Hedman. Go figure eh

If we had Tampa's roster, you know where I would be picky? Johnson, Gourde, Palat. They are missing Eller and Wilson types to support their stars.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no model to win, there is just having thr better team, or in some case, the other team.

I have a model to win but it's hard to assemble and you need to stock pile picks in a short span while you stay at the bottom and snag a few stars.

1) A top 10 goalie is a must. Or someone who is hot
2) The right mix on D in terms of puck movers and shut down D studs
3) Firepower up front which means a top 10 PP
4) Team toughness as depth. Big dudes than can skate will make other teams take fits.

A good skating team that has skill is obvious. It's much more complicated than that though

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Tampa has studs on D though right? And who missed games in the playoffs and was also playing hurt last year? Hedman. Go figure eh

If we had Tampa's roster, you know where I would be picky? Johnson, Gourde, Palat. They are missing Eller and Wilson types to support their stars.
What the f*** are you talking about? I'm pointing out how toughness didnt stop Tampa from making the ECFs multiple times and even had a Stanley Cup appearance. I dont know what Hedman being injured in last years playoffs has to do anything with this. All I'm saying is that the Leafs should have won a series at the very minimum. Now stop changing the discussion when I'm making it pretty obvious how the Leafs roster is underperforming.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have a model to win but it's hard to assemble and you need to stock pile picks in a short span while you stay at the bottom and snag a few stars.

1) A top 10 goalie is a must. Or someone who is hot
2) The right mix on D in terms of puck movers and shut down D studs
3) Firepower up front which means a top 10 PP
4) Team toughness as depth. Big dudes than can skate will make other teams take fits.

A good skating team that has skill is obvious. It's much more complicated than that though

Chicago, Pittsburgh shit on that "model". 6 or the last 10 cups.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What the **** are you talking about? I'm pointing out how toughness didnt stop Tampa from making the ECFs multiple times and even had a Stanley Cup appearance. I dont know what Hedman being injured in last years playoffs has to do anything with this. All I'm saying is that the Leafs should have won a series at the very minimum. Now stop changing the discussion when I'm making it pretty obvious how the Leafs roster is underperforming.

Yes, cause Hedman wasn't hurt when they went to those ECF. Why do you think they lost 4 games straight last year? Why do you think the Bruins won a cup... Chara was a beast and still is. Leafs are missing this type of piece big time on the back end. You need it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chicago, Pittsburgh **** on that "model". 6 or the last 10 cups.

Blackhawks had studs on D that could shut you down and team toughness. They fell down when they lost their depth, team toughness, and their D got old.

I don't consider the Blackhawks model to win the same as the Pens. Leafs are build to win like the Pens and will it work? I doubt it until they get their missing piece on the back end.

You can look at good skaters who have skill only if you wish. I'm looking much deeper than this

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Blackhawks had studs on D that could shut you down and team toughness. They fell down when they lost their depth, team toughness, and their D got old.

I don't consider the Blackhawks model to win the same as the Pens. Leafs are build to win like the Pens and will it work? I doubt it until they get their missing piece on the back end.
Three elite forwards
One elite D
Mid range G
Mid range depth

Sid, Malkin, Kessel
Letang

Toews,.Hossa, Kane
Keith

Kk ty.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, cause Hedman wasn't hurt when they went to those ECF. Why do you think they lost 4 games straight last year? Why do you think the Bruins won a cup... Chara was a beast and still is. Leafs are missing this type of piece big time on the back end. You need it
Once again you completely change the discussion and just ignore all the facts that I provide. Maybe you should reread what I am writing because you are talking about things that arent even relevant in the discussion.

"Tampa isnt tough but still made the ECFs multiple times and the SCF once, Leafs should win a series at the very minimum with their current roster".

"Hedmans injury hurt the Bolts last year even though they still made the ECFs multiple times and the SCF once. Therefore Leafs need a Lars Eller".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Once again you completely change the discussion and just ignore all the facts that I provide. Maybe you should reread what I am writing because you are talking about things that arent even relevant in the discussion.

"Tampa isnt tough but still made the ECFs multiple times and the SCF once, Leafs should win a series at the very minimum with their current roster".

"Hedmans injury hurt the Bolts last year even though they still made the ECFs multiple times and the SCF once. Therefore Leafs need a Lars Eller".

Just stop. I'm not changing the conversation at all. I'm saying you need shutdown D types and team toughness. Making the ECF with or without Hedman? Tampa had the firepower but their big piece on the back end was not at his best and look at that... 4 games straight!

Tampa got beat by a very good complete Blue Jackets team who had firepower up front, team toughness, studs on back end, and good goaltending. Not having Hedman at his best was game changer and their firepower could not overcome it.

Last edited:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
I wish we had more talent too. But I never wish I was a Leafs fan.

After 25 years of pure mediocrity with no end in sight, I can understand it.

What do the Habs really do to deserve your money?

It is getting harder to answer this question by the minute.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs Tavares out minimum of 2 weeks with a broken finger. Center depth is going to be tested now!

4-3-1 with a healthy roster.

Next two weeks...
- On the road against the Bruins (Oct 19th)
- Back to back games against the Blue Jackets and Bruins (Oct 21/22)
- Back to back games against the Sharks and Habs (Oct 25/26)
- Home against the Caps (Oct 29th)

* 3 night break and they re evaluate Tavares. Then on the road against the Flyers (Nov 2nd).

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Leafs just need to be patient and slowly keep adding small pieces and eventually they will get there. Much like all Canadian teams, unless you have special case like Tavares wanting to play in his hometown, it's very difficult to build teams through free agency. They've done a good job drafting a core that will keep them competitive, now they've got to surround that core with key pieces to get them over the hump. Some organisations (like the southern teams) have advantages and it's much easier for them to acquire or keep those pieces for longer. Because of the tax situation and nice weather a lot of players are willing to sign with those teams at a discount, which is not the case for Toronto. They have to overpay in most cases for their players like all Canadian teams. Dubas will have to be very creative in order to correctly surround that core with the right players either through trade or drafting.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Seattle has released the ticket prices for 2021/2022:

"The team says club seats will each cost between $285 and $355 based on a 44-game season ticket package. The club seats will be on three-, five- or seven-year terms.
The team will have 2,600 club seats in its new arena. Fans who left deposits will begin selecting seats soon.
Aside from club seats, the team said 80% of the suites in the arena have already been sold.

The team says general seats will start at $50 per game and there will be some single-game tickets starting at $20"

Well at least I can drive up and watch a few games. :) Haven't watched a live game since I lived in greater D.C. area back in 2004..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad